Need A Window Winding Mechanism

Jack

So in both cases with the mech on your floor and a winder handle fitted you can wind it both ways but one way is harder and jams up ?

If so get the oil out !

OIL IT !  LOTS....

:)

Yes the mechanism works both ways thats what I was trying to explain when I said that it works winding down but winding up it is jammed. As it is now you can move the winder backwards and forwards but doesnt work going up. With this snow that I have had I cant even use my car and the ice is helping the window stay up. Really wanted to go to Chris's today to change my locks but I couldnt even clear my windows to see anything and it didnt want to go anywhere so I am leaving it while next week when hopefully I can get it moved. The car is having a weeks break this week as I cant use it due to the weather.

So in both cases with the mech on your floor and a winder handle fitted you can wind it both ways but one way is harder and jams up ?

If so get the oil out !

OIL IT !  LOTS....

:)

Jack.

I think that when Paul mentions the rubbers, he does not mean the rubbers on the top of the door, ie like the none that scrapes up against the glass, as the glass goes either up or down, he means the vertical window guides that the sides of the glass run in, they are located on the inside of the door ( Haven't you got a Haynes Manual? if not I'd advise you to get one)  those guides have rubber in them that protects the glass from the metal channels, and sometimes the rubber gets damaged and the glass will jam in that area.  By the way did you have anyone look over this car for you, or did you just buy it cos you liked the look of it!

I know people on here reading my problems think I might be an idiot because I am not sure how to do simple things but I have no experience in fixing things on it. I bought my Manta because it is a very nice one and I couldnt of got a better one as my first one and yes I loved the look of it.

Start by showing him an oil can and how to make it work with your thumb... ;)

Instead of coming out with pointless pisstaking comments like that why dont you get someone to show you how to treat someone with decency. There are plenty of people who want to know how to fix their Car and dont have a clue how, are you going to have a good time making them feel unwelcome too? I really appreciated all the advice I was getting when I first asked about it but if your doing nothing but putting unnecesary comments like this then I am not interested anymore I will sort my Car out myself.

Put the toys back in the pram lad.

The reason I am taking the piss is because its the gentlest way to point out that although some of us have been giving simple advise you have so far ignored it or decided "it's too hard" to actually get tools and do something. 

I have been in this club for 20+ years, I have owned and rebuilt more mantas than there are currently on the road in England.  There is not a lot I don't know or don't know how to find out.

Lastly, the winking smiley on the end of my comment is there to show I was gently taking the piss, I have no idea who you are, what you are like as a person or any other details about you other than what is on your profile.  I offered help which I thought was going unheeded and decided to poke you about it a bit.

Beware a friend who never takes the piss, they are not a friend at all.

• Like 1

Dont be so stupid and tell me to put my toys back in the pram that is the sort of thing toddlers say. You are trying to justify taking the piss which is wrong in itself and dont give me a lecture on what make good friends. My friends are genuine people and they are very hard to come by, sure they take the piss but in a good way. The amount of Cars you have owned and what you have done with them makes no difference who you are as a person and I will tell you who I am, I am a genuine, caring, generous individual who will go out of my way to help other people, your the one being hostile not me. About advice I cant believe that is what you actually think if I had known I would have given up because that is absolute bullshit! If you knew how motivated I am about fixing my Car up you would not have thought that.

I am stuck in this afternoon with the children so I will continue this discussion.

You have no idea who I am or how I am regarded either so all this back and forth is pointless I am sure you are lovely bloke , I will let you ask others in the club about me, you can see what they say.

Did you oil it ?

It all boils down to this, did you get a can of oil and actually perform the simple task of oiling the mechanism and seeing if that made it work properly both ways ?

If not then this is why I feel that my advise was a waste of time.  Instead of telling me how motivated you are and how you really want to fix the problem did you actually do it ?

There is only so much help I can give if you don't come back with the progress report/oil update and let me move to the next step with you.

Edited by paulmanta

Dont be so stupid and tell me to put my toys back in the pram that is the sort of thing toddlers say. You are trying to justify taking the piss which is wrong in itself and dont give me a lecture on what make good friends. My friends are genuine people and they are very hard to come by, sure they take the piss but in a good way. The amount of Cars you have owned and what you have done with them makes no difference who you are as a person and I will tell you who I am, I am a genuine, caring, generous individual who will go out of my way to help other people, your the one being hostile not me. About advice I cant believe that is what you actually think if I had known I would have given up because that is absolute bullshit! If you knew how motivated I am about fixing my Car up you would not have thought that.

Jack paulmanta has only been trying to help you, and yes there has been a bit of banter. But please don't take it the wrong way.

Written text has no context, try not to take it personally as it wasn't meant to be offensive.

• Like 1

jack please don't take all this the wrong way. all these guys are trying to do is give you a little advice on doing these little jobs yourself. its the only way to learn mate. its just a little banter that's all. I put up with it and dish it out all the time at work its just a bit of fun .

now about this window winder. if it all looks ok and nothing is obviously broken like pieces of it in the bottom of the door chances are it just needs a good oil up to free it up. I had a look to see if I have one but alas no I only have a passenger side one. oh don't forget jack to pm me your address so I can send you a rear wiper motor.

I spoke to Chris about an unrelated matter (Land Rover Diesel fault !) and asked him about Jacks winder, he investigated and said he drilled out the spotwelds and found it all ok inside tooth-wise but the spring that stops the winder from simply turning the cogs to the lowest position were either broken or not working properly.

I will take a look at one of the mechs I have here with bad teeth and see if I can take a picture of what its suppose to be like.

For now the best option for Jack is to obtain and fit another mech.  I am very interested in the old one however, It has failed in a way I have not seen often but its fixable, its not worn out but its done something else !

Anybody tried oil?

Yes !  :)

ETA: Since the discussion as to whether I was being rude or not Jack seems to have gone quiet on here, I know my cheeky comment was taken the wrong way but I hope its not resulted in a grudge and Jack being put off coming on here. 

Edited by paulmanta

Yes !  :)

ETA: Since the discussion as to whether I was being rude or not Jack seems to have gone quiet on here, I know my cheeky comment was taken the wrong way but I hope its not resulted in a grudge and Jack being put off coming on here.

I have been in contact with Jack a couple of times, he seems alright, maybe a bit downhearted! Mantas can do that to anyone, that is until you get hardened to all the pitfalls!!!
  • Like 1

Build blues and ownership worries are a very real thing if you are not technically experienced.  These are old cars and need pretty constant attention.

My partner comes under that category too!!

• 3 weeks later...