Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

After we reached an 'acceptable' hour, I managed to sneak in an hour of 'noisy work' this morning. I do like to think of myself as a considerate neighbour - hopefully the neighbours agree...:lol:

First job was to cut away the rusted outer wheel arch skin to see what was underneath and to see how far back it was to get back to good Steel. I was hoping that it was all good Steel from the cut point, which was what I had planned when I marked it there.

Before:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

After:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then I took the good old knotted wire wheel on the grinder to see what was good and what was being hidden... As always, things get worse before they get better!

So as you can see, there will be plenty of cutting out of grot before we can make up some templates and start making it all nice and solid again. I'll take my time and try to do a good job, fingers crossed.

So after a good hoover up, we will go from this point - gulp  lol

Onward and upwards - hopefully...

ps Come on England!!!!!  :thumbup  :rolleyes:

Just popped out to the garage to take a couple of quick photos of affected areas as seen from inside the car.

The first is the 'bad' corner I already knew about in the boot, just back from the spae wheel well repair recently undertaken I had deliberately left that area until now, knowing that this part of the job was coming along and would be affected.

And the second with the rear seat base removed:

My next little job is to get the rear quarter door card out and the sound insulation off the floor so I can see what else is hiding in there (and of course to keep it away from the heat of the cutting and welding).

OK, so internal quarter panel off and a bit of sound insulation scraped away and we have this:

I expected much worse to be honest and the floor is largely unaffected. The rust seems to be restricted to the immediate corners and a small area which has two small holes in front of the cross brace. I will get the knotted wire wheel in there tomorrow and see exactly what is what, but it seems pretty solid while pushing with a screwdriver.

This area of the car had some attention in the dim and distant. A plate had been added to the sill/rear of the door area and then undersealed to within an inch of its life. Unfortunately though it looks like this plate was just welded to good Steel without first cutting out any of the rust that was behind it. So this was probably a 'just get it through the MOT' fix, which years later has resulted in much more work for me - oh well, I kind of get where that comes from, even if it doesn't help me now lol

I decided to ease myself into this area by starting with something nice and simple to build the confidence. The area where the ISOFIX fitting is was the first to be cut out:

Hopefully I can get a template and the basic shape of the Steel sorted out tomorrow morning.

Enjoy your evening everyone - well done England, superb!

• Like 2

At this point I would like to say a huge THANK YOU! to OMOC stradacab for his Project "J" thread. His attention to detail in general, but in particular and more specifically for taking the time to add such detailed photographs has proved invaluable to me for my car.

Without your photos of the repairs to the rear sill, floor and wheel arch area (the area I am currently just starting to tackle), I wold really be struggling right now.

So Mr stradacab   :thumbup  

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

Just a small update today as we have been out for most of it enjoying this wonderful weather.

When we got home I took my angle grinder to the worst of the rust in the area I am now working on. Of course, as soon as you start digging the rot turns out to be worse than you thought and hoped... But as Barry Scott would probably say "Bang and the rust was gone!"

Now the hard work begins trying to put it right!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mantaray said:

Just build it up in sections, and you will be fine.  You're doing a great job so far.

Thank you Sir, thats a real compliment coming from somebody as skillful as yourself   :thumbup

Another small update tonight.

As my jacking point tube front support was rotten to the core, I simply cut it all away yesterday. For obvious reasons this is a key part of the whole area, so I decided to make up a new one tonight. As mine was so far gone, I couldn't tell exactly how thick the material was, but I could see it was a fair bit thicker than the rest in that area. 

I therefore decided that I would make up a 'butterfly' from my 1.2 mm thick Steel, fold it double and then tack it together on the edges. It seems pretty good, certainly very solid. Naturally the 32 mm hole was drilled after folding. Once it is welded to the other parts in this area I think it will be very strong.

I gave it a coat of etch primer in the centre before folding, then the outer faces afterwards. At this point I promptly fumbled it and dropped it on the floor, wet paint and all   :lol:  

Have a great evening all.

• Like 1

I started out just like you.   Could not afford to pay a garage, so bought a welder and learnt as I went along.

As you progress through the car you will only get better. the old saying " Practise makes Perfect " is so true in welding.

• Like 2

The reason that people like myself,you,mantaray and probably a heck of a lot of members on here is the immense satisfaction involved in restoring something (anything) and bringing it back to its former glory (or keeping it so).

then you can stand back and be proud of your achievement that you have kept alive through your own abilities and efforts something that more than likely wouldn’t be around if you hadn’t.and driving something that is by and large your own individual creation.its a fantastic feeling .it would be so easy and in most cases a dam sight cheaper to drive some modern up to date rubbish but we dare to be different and pay the price in blood sweat and tears.but it’s worth it!.

from your thread right from the Beginning it all seemed a new challenge to you and you admitted to not being experienced in welding or fabrication (or my first post with you on repairing your alternator) look at you now !,!. You have picked a car to restore from the era when they were virtually designed to rust ! .the deeper and deeper you have got into it the better you have become and now you fear has all turned to positive.   When its all done you will have a car that you know every little section of ,and know that it’s all down to you....well done mate keep up the good work.its what clubs like this were made for.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

then you can stand back and be proud of your achievement that you have kept alive through your own abilities and efforts something that more than likely wouldn’t be around if you hadn’t.and driving something that is by and large your own individual creation.its a fantastic feeling .it would be so easy and in most cases a dam sight cheaper to drive some modern up to date rubbish but we dare to be different and pay the price in blood sweat and tears.but it’s worth it!.

This is what drives me on every single day - this and the help, support and advice received from this fantastic owners club!

Cheers Chris.

• Like 2

Just a small amount of work this evening as the football was on. Of course the same will also be true for tomorrow - gulp!

I made a template for the rear support/back plate of the sill - sorry I don't know whats it proper name is. Basically its the piece that drops down from the floor area and everything else welds to...

I cut out that plate and added a flange and puddle weld holes in preparation for welding it in place. This will almost certainly be welded on Saturday now, so its all going to go quiet for a few days.

My next quick job will be to make up the 'V' support/strengthener that welds to the front face of the drop down plate. I assume that this adds strength to the whole area as well as preventing the skin being pushed right in with the slightest ding.

In this photo ('borrowed' from Stradacab's Project J thread), you can see the two parts I am talking about:

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

After the disappointment of the football last night, I decided I would cheer myself up with some metal cutting and welding   :lol:  :thumbup

So I managed to get the sill back plate (or whatever the proper name is) tacked in place and reasonably level. After that I added my newly fabricated front jacking oiunt support piece and welded that in too. Its a bit of a devil trying to get much weld behind without the car on its back, so I decided to add three puddle welds on the front too. At the weekend I think that I will crawl under from the other side and see if I can add more on the back while lying on my front - we shall see.

My next job will be to fill in the two gaping holes in the floor, then we can start to build from there. To be honest, its all feels a little improvised at the moment, but with the help of other members photos I think it will all come together soon.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

• Like 3

Fare play, stradacabs photos remind me of my own, 

Maybe stupid question, but is your tank out and miles way, in a safe place.

Also your jack is a tad small, if working under a car make sure its fully supported, anything! Pallets stacked under boot area, axle stands are cheap, sealey ones, got two free with a low profile, 5 pump lift 2t jack recently. Ive a spit on its way too! Im way to old and wise to be crawling about under cars

both axle stands and spits can be made cheaply!

work is progressing, very impressive

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Fare play, stradacabs photos remind me of my own, 

Maybe stupid question, but is your tank out and miles way, in a safe place.

Also your jack is a tad small, if working under a car make sure its fully supported, anything! Pallets stacked under boot area, axle stands are cheap, sealey ones, got two free with a low profile, 5 pump lift 2t jack recently. Ive a spit on its way too! Im way to old and wise to be crawling about under cars

both axle stands and spits can be made cheaply!

work is progressing, very impressive

Hi evo, I hope you are well.

The tank is still in place, but it has been drained and the sender unit is out and the filler cap is off for venting.  I have also wrapped a (doubled) welding blanket around the entire tank.

The jack you can see is only a small part of the picture, there are four axle stands and another 2 tonne jack out of shot. The small jack has only been used to raise that corner about an inch to allow me to get the NSR wheel off.

Cheers for now.

Another early start today, which has allowed me to make some pleasing progress.

I have managed to get two plates made up to fill the gaping holes in the NSR floor (sill area) and got them welded in:

This one is just in front of the cross brace.

And this one is behind the brace and leads to the wheel arch.

This will now allow me to get the rear end of the sill back plate welded in and build forward from that piece. Small but positive steps...

Have a cracking weekend everyone. :thumbup

• Like 1

A bit more progress this afternoon. I have stitch the back plate support/stiffener piece in place, then welded it to the back plate itself.

I actually changed Mr stradacab's design a bit (hopefully not for the worse...) as you will see. After everything was welded, I drilled some drain holes about every six inches to let any water flow through to reach the drain holes that will be added to the outer sill skin itself.

This area is now rock solid again, which is very pleasing. Before I add the outer skin, I will of course add some primer and Waxoyl to the inside surfaces in an effort to keep the evil rust at bay for as long as possible.

5 minutes ago, Kent A said:

It's impressing projects you are in.
It's a shame you do not have a good welding machine.
This type of welder is not meant to be welded in cars at all.

Hi Kent, many thanks for your compliment - much appreciated.

Out of interest, what type of welder would you recommend? I am a total beginner with welding, so I really don't know what is good and bad. All I can say is that it is sticking everything together well and I seem to be getting good penetration, even on the lowest possible settings.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

After a bit of measuring and messing around, these are the templates I have come up with for the new Steel required at the base of the sill:

These two parts need to be welded together to make the full profile.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get these cut out and bent up. With a fair wind, I might even be able to get them tacked in place... but with a trip to the In-laws planned, that's looking more likely for a weekday evening unfortunately.

I managed to get one of the two sill plates cut and bent up this morning before we go out. It was the top one, the one nearest the door in other words.

Fortunately I had a few minutes to spare, so tacked it roughly in place on the front end - very pleased with the fit and lines so far:

All depending on what time we get back later, I might find some time to fab up the lower/bottom sill plate and see how that looks. I will probably run out of time though and have to take up the job tomorrow evening instead.

Enjoy the Sun everyone!   :thumbup

Edited by IanMc

Your panel section making skills are second to non, thats where most people fail, keep up the good work, 

Maybe look at this, it may help, maybe your welder is weird, is your welding tip clean, it seems to not penetrate, and leaves very high welds. Its a tricky thing to get right, but once u get it, its a walk in the park, are you using gas? Maybe its the disposable gas? Its a hassle, as its creating more work for you grinding them down, i hate grinders! :thumbup

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks evo, I will take a look at that. I know that I do have a tendency to move the welding torch too fast, hence I increased my wire feed speed to try to counteract this. Perhaps I should try cutting that back now I am gaining more confidence and see what happens.

My fear is always blowing through the metal, so hence my moving fast - I suppose its a subconscious thing. I am fairly confident that I am getting good penetration as the rear of the welded area is always very discoloured and you can see exactly where I have laid the weld and its shape. My lack of experience here might be deceiving me though...

Thanks as always for your help and advice  :thumbup

Its all down to practise. My brother is a proffesional welder on nice new 1/4" thick stuff and hates welding bits on cars.he says its so hrd getting a good penetration without burning through. And he agrees too that most prtable welders are just hobby machines ,but they will be wont they compared to his big work machines !.I have spent years experimenting with different techniques and settings and still it takes a while to get right.the higher the power without blowing through seems best .i now use mainly galv for repairs as it will last longer but takes more prep and needs good ventilation. So long as the weld melts into bothpieces it should be fine .

You are doing a great job and enjoying it too so thats all that counts. 

• Like 1