Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

OK, with the old girl turned around and the In-laws gone home, I decided that I would have time to do some reconnaissance of the OS of the car.

I removed the carpet trim strip at the sill and peeled the carpet back around the pedal box/footwell/bulkhead area. It was bad, but not quite as bad as the NS footwell:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The 'A' post appears to be very good, as does the whole of the OSF wing (phew) - although I will still remove this wing to improve access to the floor/bulkhead area.

Sadly the jacking point seems to be toast in this corner though, so some major surgery/reconstruction will be required here:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The OSR arch seems pretty good, certainly FAR better than the other side, with the inner arch damage restricted to the sill and boot floor areas - again way better than what I have just dealt with on the other side though!

Like the other side though, the bottom of the door has rotted out:

Oh well, deep breath and here we go again  :lol: :rolleyes:

The one thing that will hold me up considerably though is my hand operation on the 24th - tick, tock...

7 hours ago, IanMc said:

But it started, ran, steered and braked, so I guess that's all progress   :lol:  :thumbup

This is always a great boost when tackling any car, having it come back to life, even if there is more work to be done, is a wonderful moral booster.

• Like 1

Small but important update this evening.

Not being one to sit around, I decided to get my trusty knotted wire wheel connected to my angle grinder and attack the OS 'A' post and surrounding areas to see really what was waiting to kick me up the backside.

Actually I am fairly happy with what I found, if that makes sense. It is certainly no worse than the NS and with the knowledge and experience I gained on the other side its just going to be more of the same really...

The wing top rail is perfect (Cavaliers seem to last much better here than Manta's), as is the headlight 'flare'.

Tomorrow evening I will probably get the OSR wheel off and start cutting out the rot in the corner of the boot floor to back of the inner arch (see yesterdays photos).

• Like 1

This evening I ran out of time, so didn't get too much done.

I jacked up the OSR corner and took off the road wheel. Next I drilled out the rivets and removed the arch trim fitted to Cavaliers.

This is what is now visible:

Nothing we haven't all seen before is it...    :lol:  :rolleyes:

After slacking off last night, I was armed with my trusted knotted wire wheel and angle grinder combination to see what other nasties were hiding. As usual things were worse than they first seemed, and that was bad enough  :lol:

As you will see, somebody has added a rectangular plate to the 'sill area' of the boot floor previously. That piece had actually lasted pretty well, its just the rest that is shocking...

Hopefully tomorrow I can start cutting some of that grot away.

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, plumster said:

Save your arch trim if at all possible, it's hard stuff to find in good nick.

Thanks Sam, will do - luckily that's about the best part of the whole car  :D

Tonight I made a start with the old angle grinder and cutting disc combo on the OS boot floor to wheel arch area.

Oops, is that my car on the floor?!  :lol:

Oh well, so much for "it's not as bad as the other side" eh?

Cheers all  :thumbup

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Julian said:

Wouldn't it be safer to remove the petrol tank Ian, with all that welding and grinding going on all around it? I'd hat to see it all blowing up after all that work you have done!

Hi Julian, the tank is empty with the sender and cap removed for ventilation - but do you know I think that I should.

The only thing that I was worried about was moving all the filler pipe and associated parts and causing leaks later on. Is that likely?

EMPTY  VESSELS make the most noise Ian, I'll give you one instance, a mate of mine had a pacemaker fitted,(heart) I was with him, but a distance away when he was cutting a piece of chassis out of an Austin Sheerline car, in a scrapyard, the tank was empty, next thing there was one hell of a bang, the gas that was lurking min then tank exploded, the explosion threw him onto his back, and somehow or other had an effect, I don't know how, on the pacemaker.  He was dead, I think that when a tank is empty, and rust forms on the inside, fumes from the petrol are trapped in the rust, well that is what the policeman who attended the scene told me.

2 hours ago, Julian said:

EMPTY  VESSELS make the most noise Ian, I'll give you one instance, a mate of mine had a pacemaker fitted,(heart) I was with him, but a distance away when he was cutting a piece of chassis out of an Austin Sheerline car, in a scrapyard, the tank was empty, next thing there was one hell of a bang, the gas that was lurking min then tank exploded, the explosion threw him onto his back, and somehow or other had an effect, I don't know how, on the pacemaker.  He was dead, I think that when a tank is empty, and rust forms on the inside, fumes from the petrol are trapped in the rust, well that is what the policeman who attended the scene told me.

Bloody hell Julian, what a story.

Point taken - I will get it out.

21 hours ago, IanMc said:

Hi Julian, the tank is empty with the sender and cap removed for ventilation - but do you know I think that I should.

The only thing that I was worried about was moving all the filler pipe and associated parts and causing leaks later on. Is that likely?

With the tank full of just petrol vapor it's in the most dangerous state, I've heard a story about a Jag with a drained fuel tank exploding when being welded.

Take the tank out and you know you'll be safe, plus you can inspect all the pipework, which unless it is very obviously new replace. you could even clean and paint the tank, how about this for a left field idea, paint it Polar White to match the rest of the car ? wouldn't need a cover for it to look smart when you opened the boot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANTAMAN said:

paint it Polar White to match the rest of the car ? wouldn't need a cover for it to look smart when you opened the boot.

Like this!  Could be a new trend, 

I hate petrol, and welding, i remove the tank and pipes, and place it in another building. :thumbup

As for the filler neck, its fixed so wont leak, shouldnt! 

As you are carb only one feed pipe, should be plastic if original, you could replace it. 

Make sure pipe work is removed also, vapours etc.

I read somewhere to weld a petrol tank, you flood it constantly with carbon dioxide, ie exhaust fumes from a running car, i wont try this, wouldnt even watch someone do it! 

• Like 1

This morning I adjusted the hydraulic tappets using the 'cold set' method sent to me by cam.in.head (Chris) in a PM.

Many thanks again Chris, the engine sounds quiet and healthy - such a change from the bag of spanners I had to put up when I turned it around last weekend.

The only annoyance is the blow from the exhaust/manifold area. That could be several things of course as things settle down after being installed and just left a few moths ago.

Anyway, that's a job for another day, I'm not worried about that at all.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 1

It felt like some strange forces were at work today in my garage.

Last night my Wife reported that half of our lounge lamp had stopped working, its one of those with an uplighter as the main light, then a separate adjustable reading lamp m- you know the kind of thing. I dragged it off to the garage this morning, simply expecting to change the top lighting tube and the thing would live again - but no, it simply refused to work...

After half an hour investigating what was wrong with a £25 lamp, I decided that it wasn't worth the time or energy and condemned it to the bin.

Then after closely investigating my drivers door, that was also condemned as too much time and trouble to repair. Instead I would parch up the much better Manta door I had bought months ago, so naturally the Cav one would have to come off.

The Manta door will need some patches grafted into the very bottom (where the drain holes are) and these are the cardboard templates made up:

Tomorrow I hope to get those plates cut out.

Sods law then said that all of the punches I had previously used to knock out the hinge pins had hidden themselves - how do they even do that?!?!   So off I went to try to find something else to knock the hinge pins out with.

Then it hit me, what about the adjuster bar from the newly scrapped lounger lamp? - so of I went to my 'scrap center' around the side of the house. Sure enough it unscrewed and was the perfect diameter and length for the hinge pins!

While I was in the scrap center I decided that I would cut as much usable metal off the door skin of the drivers door. My thinking was  that it was good metal and also I could recycle some of the old girls soul for the patch panels to be made up soon for the OS. This decision was further vindicated when I noticed how low my supply of sheet steel plates was now running...

This is what the poor old Cav drivers door now looks like:

My local scrap man will be happy to come and take that away though, along with the knackered lounge lamp   :rolleyes:

So now the car looks a total mess again with a missing OS door and wing:

Oh well, things normally get worse before they get better.

And with that in mind, next Friday is hand operation day - so not much time left to make any real progress on the car, then who knows long my lay off will be?

Cheers all, have a nice evening.

1 minute ago, moodoo said:

Hope your layoff isn't too long, I'll miss your (unfailingly cheerful!) updates! Good luck with the procedure, hope all goes well.

Fin

That’s very kind, cheers Fin - much appreciated. :thumbup

Got the bottom of the drivers door welded up and ground back. Then added some POR15 to the general area.

Tomorrow I will add some panel sealer to the seams and a quick lick of primer.

Then hopefully on Thursday evening I can fit that door.

With my op. on Friday morning, that will probably be the last action for a while I am afraid.

Have a nice evening everyone :thumbup

Fitted the Red Manta drivers side door this evening.

No real problems and the fit and function seem pretty good. I had already swapped over the black Manta handle for the Silver Cav one and also swapped the key lock/cylinder.

The small piece of black flexible conduit you can see in the second photo goes into the front edge of the door. I drilled and installed this (along with a suitable grommet) in preparation for fitting a central locking it and/or anything else I fancy later.

This is likely to be the last installment for a while as tomorrow I will need to get my stuff ready for Friday mornings hand operation - boooh!  :lol:

Have a nice evening all.