Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

52 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Hi Chris,

A recommend direct replacement for the Zoe is the YUASA YBX3012 - how does that equate in terms of size and cranking power to the Cavalier?

I think the battery is a 420a 520? Not a 100% best carry out checks Got on my manta is 70a 760 en. I know the battery is a bit big but better over than under 

On a charging battery note, an old fella told me to connect a bulb to one side of the battery whilst charging, so negative charge clip on battery, positive has bulb holder connected between battery and positive terminal, he said it revives a dead battery, why? Not sure, mad science. 

Great job getting Cav fired up. 

• Thanks 1

the 3012 is 190mm tall so it may be a tight fit .just be carefull of the positive terminal . the others are 175 high .thats why i said the 100 is good but the 096 is not(too high ?)

as regards the start stop style. it should be fine / better than the original  but in any case will be better than an old worn out correct battery !

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

the 3012 is 190mm tall so it may be a tight fit .just be carefull of the positive terminal . the others are 175 high .thats why i said the 100 is good but the 096 is not(too high ?)

as regards the start stop style. it should be fine / better than the original  but in any case will be better than an old worn out correct battery !

Just checked the clearance above the battery terminals when the bonnet is closed.

I can confirm that even with the 3012 YUASA at 190 mm tall, it will have at least 25-30 mm clearance between it and the underside of the bonnet inner skin/framework.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

excellent . i bet it spins itover a lot better.

I haven’t got it yet mate, I should have the new battery in the next few days. Then I will get the one off the Zoe about a week later.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just fitted the old battery from my Wife’s Renault Zoe (a service related item for that vehicle).

It fits very nicely and the Cav has never turned over so fast and started on the second turn of the key, after sitting for around a month.

Very happy with that 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

excellent.i thought it might .

on a similar subject i have just bought (after watching 'oncedriven forever smitten' on youtube) a kingbolen battery tester. usefull little item that tells you the current cca capacity of a battery along with its state of charge .cheap enough at under £15.

after testing all mine it shows my 1 year old yuasa 100 that should be 680 cca is now at 645cca.  and another yuasa 100 thats 2 years old is at 570cca.it calculates on internal resistance to get this figure.

• Like 4