Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

How did the roof lining turn out? Were you happy with the results? I’m struggling to find a supplier and may have to make my own. 

I haven't even started it yet Jonathan - too many other things have got in the way recently.

The car is in regular use though, and although there have been one or two small issues (a perished vacuum line and a  leaking radiator), it has performed well.

I think that I will use it throughout the Summer and Autumn, then take a look at the headliner when the weather turns cold and wet.

Take care everyone.

• Like 6

my vinyl roof was made from "off the roll" by a trimmer.he was going to make it a one piece affair but i insisted he put the 2 lengthways joints in it as original.also did the interior lining too.

was a very good and straightforward job .i just dropped the car off one friday night and took the screens out for him and if i remember correctly it was ready 2 weeks later .

sadly that trimmer has retired now but he did all that for £250 but it was back in late 90's

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I hope that you have all been keeping safe and well.

After a roller coaster last few months, I have made my final decision on the Cavalier - I am keeping it.

I will go back to work on, replace and/or improve everything that I am not happy with and finish the bits I always meant to do - such as the roof liner for example.

In the end I decided that I just couldn't part with the old girl, I just love it too much - warts and all. As many of you said at the time, I would regret it and you were of course absolutely right.

The main reason I haven't been around very much for 6 moths or more is an 09 plate Mini Cooper Convertible that I bought a project with 'electrical problems' - that turned out to be the understatement of the year.

The symptoms included:

Windows with a mind of their own, an electric roof that didn't open, airbag warning lights on, indicators and lights that didn't work, a horn that wouldn't stop working, no front or rear fog light operation, engine management warning lights and faults recorded, oil leaks etc etc etc

In the end it had or needed:

- An indoor swimming pool... took the mouldy/Green carpets and seats out etc and steam cleaned everything

- New airbag control module

- New footwell control module

- New roof control module

- New steering wheel controls module (SZL)

- A selection of new multi pin connectors and wiring repairs

- Coding of various bits to the car (after a bought a new laptop, Mini/BMW software (and taught myself how to use it all)

After five months of torture, it passed its MOT on Wednesday - and with only two advisories!!

So that car will be going up for sale at the weekend, making space in the garage for the Cavalier again (which has sat outside in all weathers since May). On that note, I have just dropped a request for help and advise in the Basic Technical Help section, or whatever its called.

Anyway... thanks to you all for your support and encouragement with the decision on the Cav, I really appreciate it.

You have all been so busy, it looks like I have a massive amount of reading to do on some of your wonderful projects.

Take care, all the best. :thumbup

• Like 12

Hi Ian really good to here from you again think it's a good decision to keep the cav must admit thought about selling mine a few times as don't have the money or time to do what's needed sunroof and bonnet rot and it's only going to get worse but did drive it to work this week she still looks good and get comments wherever I go "nice capri":rolleyes: and know I will regret selling it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

Hi everyone,

After a roller coaster last few months, I have made my final decision on the Cavalier - I am keeping it.

I will go back to work on, replace and/or improve everything that I am not happy with and finish the bits I always meant to do - such as the roof liner for example.

In the end I decided that I just couldn't part with the old girl, I just love it too much - warts and all. As many of you said at the time, I would regret it and you were of course absolutely right.

The main reason I haven't been around very much for 6 moths or more is an 09 plate Mini Cooper Convertible that I bought a project with 'electrical problems' - that turned out to be the understatement of the year.

The symptoms included:

Windows with a mind of their own, an electric roof that didn't open, airbag warning lights on, indicators and lights that didn't work, a horn that wouldn't stop working, no front or rear fog light operation, engine management warning lights and faults recorded, oil leaks etc etc etc

- An indoor swimming pool... took the mouldy/Green carpets and seats out etc and steam cleaned everything

- Coding of various bits to the car (after a bought a new laptop, Mini/BMW software (and taught myself how to use it all)

After five months of torture, it passed its MOT on Wednesday - and with only two advisories!!

So that car will be going up for sale at the weekend, making space in the garage for the Cavalier again (which has sat outside in all weathers since May). On that note, I have just dropped a request for help and advise in the Basic Technical Help section, or whatever its called.

Anyway... thanks to you all for your support and encouragement with the decision on the Cav, I really appreciate it.

You have all been so busy, it looks like I have a massive amount of reading to do on some of your wonderful projects.

Good choice 

• Like 1

I have just got a manta,then the house sale fell through,so now doing a lot of work the the house ( the stuff that was going to get done on the new house over a number of years) .my time has been limited l did consider selling the manta.but are going to get to it in the new year hopefully if not l will get around to it one day 

Good decision to keep the cav

• Like 2

Good decision Ian 🙂

Painted mine over the last few months, its not perfect and i expect i will end up doing some of it again but it looks a thousand time better and i learnt so much and i now know that with a bit more time i can get it better, but the main thing i realised is that although it didn't look great before i have missed just getting it out for a drive now and then!

So when i have it all back together im going to keep it on the road even if i have to do more paint work.

Hope you get back out in the Cav soon and just enjoy driving it with all its wort's, which im sure no one will notice 🙂

Andy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IanMc said:

Hi everyone,

The symptoms included:

Good choice.  I sold my Manta 25 years ago and instantly regretted it.  Luckily I managed to buy it back late last year.  Unfortunately not in the same condition I sold it.  

• Like 2

After spending a good few hours cleaning up and listing the 'project Mini', I thought I might have a little play with the Cavalier.

Easing myself in gently, I made a start on the NOS front mud flap kit I bought from Ebay months ago. First job was to bend the brackets to the dimensions specified in the instructions...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I guess this means I will quickly find our how close to the original shape my new footwell area plates were/are!

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 3

I suppose this means that the guesswork used to get the shape of the footwell plates wasn't too far off - quite shocking really :lol:

Enjoy your day everyone.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I hope that you have all been keeping safe and well, and apologies that I have been absent for so long. I have logged in occasionally, then found myself distracted by something else, then lost interest again.

Unfortunately, we have been plagued by a combination of bad luck, various family problems and general 'life stuff' that have meant that time and interest on the Cavalier Coupe have been virtually zero in a long while.

During that time I have done a lot of soul searching and almost put it up for sale on several occasions, but dragged myself back at the last minute - usually after going to take a look at it languishing in our garage.

Fingers crossed, we are coming out of the other end of our dark tunnel now, and I have been able to start thinking about 'leisure activities' a bit more.

I have also caught up on the four or five Practical Classics magazines that arrived, then I simply squirreled away for later on in the last week or so. Imagine my great delight when I saw Keith's magnificent Coupe in one of them - a great car and an equally dedicated owner!

It was while reading those magazines that I had my moment of realising that I might be able to get back to those fun, mostly carefree days again and start to enjoy my car again.

So, literally this morning I made the decisions that:

- I will keep the Cav.

- I will take my time with things this time round.

- I will go back and redo and/or improve the errors and/or bodges I made previously.

- Start to live, love and enjoy my Classic car again.

I cant, and wont, promise to be a regularly visitor here again for a while - but I do promise to keep this thread updated as/when, for anyone interested.

Take care all,

Ian

x

• Like 14

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Hello everyone,

I hope that you have all been keeping safe and well, and apologies that I have been absent for so long. I have logged in occasionally, then found myself distracted by something else, then lost interest again.

Unfortunately, we have been plagued by a combination of bad luck, various family problems and general 'life stuff' that have meant that time and interest on the Cavalier Coupe have been virtually zero in a long while.

During that time I have done a lot of soul searching and almost put it up for sale on several occasions, but dragged myself back at the last minute - usually after going to take a look at it languishing in our garage.

Fingers crossed, we are coming out of the other end of our dark tunnel now, and I have been able to start thinking about 'leisure activities' a bit more.

I have also caught up on the four or five Practical Classics magazines that arrived, then I simply squirreled away for later on in the last week or so. Imagine my great delight when I saw Keith's magnificent Coupe in one of them - a great car and an equally dedicated owner!

It was while reading those magazines that I had my moment of realising that I might be able to get back to those fun, mostly carefree days again and start to enjoy my car again.

- I will keep the Cav.

- I will go back and redo and/or improve the errors and/or bodges I made previously.

I cant, and wont, promise to be a regularly visitor here again for a while - but I do promise to keep this thread updated as/when, for anyone interested.

Take care all,

Ian

x

Ian, im glad things are looking better for you and your family and that maybe some of our "Keep the Cav" helped 🙂

I think with a classic you have to keep it there and make sure you make the effort and just get out and use it when you can. After i finished mine i drove it loads and then keep thinking, i could have done that better or this annoys me and started to think should i keep it, but when i get a sunny day i try to take her out even if its just to get the shopping. 

Its been sat in the garage since the end of November and yesterday it was a bit warmer so i went out to charge the battery and as soon as i opened the garage and saw here there i just had to start her up. If i get a dry day next week it will be off out for a run around 🙂

Its very easy to find lots of reasons not too keep them but i think its when you do drive them that you realise why you have them.

Im planning lots of Opeling next year as i found lots of reasons this year not to use it but next year i think im even going to plan a little European trip in her!!

So glad you are keeping yours and hope you enjoy it next year and just drive it even with those little imperfections 🙂

I hope you have a good Christmas.

Andy

• Like 9

Hi Ian, welcome back.

Glad to hear your problems are solved at this moment. And ofcourse also you will keep the Cav.  Am also not that much on this forum, health problems keep me out of the garage... 

Just take it easy, when you'v got an update about the Cav we'll be happy to read about it. Happy Holidays,

Grts, Herman

• Like 5

Welcome back lan . I know how you feel not had a great year myself.Was even thinking of selling the manta and forget about the world.

I think you have to take time out every now and then just for your well-being. 
Will be nice to see some photos of the cav

Keep the cav

• Like 4

Great to see you back Ian. Remember it's your car, enjoyment, and hobby. 

I'm still learning, mainly because I just forget..........but hey .... That's life.

I've two restorations under way, no deadline, no race, if they get done, they get done, either way, I don't mind. Life is important too.... 🙃 That's my speed.

Choose your speed 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian hope all is well better times ahead once weather improves jump in the cavalier go for a drive park up in  shopping  carpark look at it as your walking away to see how cool it really is time you come back to it there always be someone looking around the car once you get chatting they say not seen one in years how rare they are and you own one is best bit get the cavalier out more enjoy it go to shows and come to vboa and vauxHall meet at gaydon museum you will  meet a  bunch cracking people .merry Christmas to you a d family make 2023 a good one .stay safe  ...Keith  roll on the summer  ☀️ 

• Like 8

On 18/12/2022 at 14:55, IanMc said:

Hello everyone,

- I will keep the Cav.

Take care all,

Ian

x

Hi Ian, nice to see you here again. I feel your pain and have been I a similar situation of just having lost all interest in anything manta since the loss of my good friend Danny. I'm hoping to find sone kind of passion back in the new year and I too have been considering selling all my cars/parts. That's hope next year brings us better things in the way of cars. All the best. 

• Like 7

Think we all get a bit sideways now and again, but it's great to have something.... Be it a pastime, hobby, interest, or just me time, your own space, and something......different. 

I've one on the go, and I've been at it 5yrs, tbh, it might be another 5, ridiculous, but I am enjoying it, trying different things, and planning things out. 

Then the wee bit sideways, will be full rack🤣

• Like 4