Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Hi All,

After starting to overhaul the fuel hose/pipe system on my Cavalier (see Basic Technical Help), I think I am slowly but surely falling back in love with it again.

So it seems that the old adage is right - absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

At this rate, I might even be tempted to make a start on the headlining project…

• Like 10

16 hours ago, IanMc said:

Hi All,

After starting to overhaul the fuel hose/pipe system on my Cavalier (see Basic Technical Help), I think I am slowly but surely falling back in love with it again.

So it seems that the old adage is right - absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

At this rate, I might even be tempted to make a start on the headlining project…

👍😎 perfect indeed. bet you are glad you never sold it now !

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

👍😎 perfect indeed. bet you are glad you never sold it now !

It’s taken me a while to get motivated again, but yes I am glad.

There are dozens of jobs I want to do again, or just do better than last time - but what’s the rush?!

• Like 3

Good to see you are working on the Cav again Ian.

Lots of stuff i would like to do again or do better but im just driving and loving the A series.

Even took it out in the pouring rain today. Found out the wipers don't auto stop, so something to do one day! but at the moment just enjoying the driving.

Its when you get in and start driving you realise it was all worth it! 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 611 said:

Good to see you are working on the Cav again Ian.

Lots of stuff i would like to do again or do better but im just driving and loving the A series.

Even took it out in the pouring rain today. Found out the wipers don't auto stop, so something to do one day! but at the moment just enjoying the driving.

Its when you get in and start driving you realise it was all worth it! 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Your car looks absolutely fabulous, a real credit to you!

12 hours ago, IanMc said:

Your car looks absolutely fabulous, a real credit to you!

Thanks Ian. When you get up close there are a few bits that you will see need sorting but i decided to let my normal matriculas side go as other wise i would keep working on it and never get it on the road which is why the build ended up taking so long in the first place. Now im just enjoying the driving and will worry about the other bits if i ever end up with some spare time!

10 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

i could have sworn yours was white or have you had it resprayed english red ?

Nope, always been the original Cardinal Red 🙂

• Like 1

OK, so as I am easing myself back into the saddle, I thought I would add a little update to this thread to show the work done recently on the fuel lines and tank breather system.

The history to this work can be seen here: 

First I sorted out the whole breather system after noting that the pipes from both tank stubs were broken/open... This definitely explains why the interior of the car stank of petrol!

The breather system now looks like this:

Next I sourced some of the R9 fuel line recommended by Chris (cam.in.head) to replace the manky braided stuff from the bottom of the tank through the floor to the underside of the car. This same hose would also be used at the front of the car on the end of the rigid pipe that runs to the fuel pump, then out of the pump to the rigid line up to the carb. As Chris said, a Metre was more than enough to complete this job.

I also took the opportunity to invest in a new hose cutting tool - very pleased with how that worked on this job.

At the same time, I bought a new inline fuel filter, which seemed an obvious step as everything else was new.

Then a schoolboy error.... I thought it would be a good idea to use PVC clear pipe on the main run from back to front of the car. I even installed it, already knowing it was too week and exposed for the (critical) purpose it was intended for - but for some reason I convinced myself it would be fine - Doh!

So I ripped out the PVC and followed the recommendations of your lovely people and bought a 10 Metre length of 8 mm O/D, 6mm I/D microbore soft copper tubing from Screwfix.

Everything went fairly smoothly, and I got it all finished up earlier this morning.

So I just need to refill the tank now and see if it runs.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IanMc said:

OK, so as I am easing myself back into the saddle, I thought I would add a little update to this thread to show the work done recently on the fuel lines and tank breather system.

The history to this work can be seen here: 

First I sorted out the whole breather system after noting that the pipes from both tank stubs were broken/open... This definitely explains why the interior of the car stank of petrol!

The breather system now looks like this:

Next I sourced some of the R9 fuel line recommended by Chris (cam.in.head) to replace the manky braided stuff from the bottom of the tank through the floor to the underside of the car. This same hose would also be used at the front of the car on the end of the rigid pipe that runs to the fuel pump, then out of the pump to the rigid line up to the carb. As Chris said, a Metre was more than enough to complete this job.

I also took the opportunity to invest in a new hose cutting tool - very pleased with how that worked on this job.

At the same time, I bought a new inline fuel filter, which seemed an obvious step as everything else was new.

Then a schoolboy error.... I thought it would be a good idea to use PVC clear pipe on the main run from back to front of the car. I even installed it, already knowing it was too week and exposed for the (critical) purpose it was intended for - but for some reason I convinced myself it would be fine - Doh!

So I ripped out the PVC and followed the recommendations of your lovely people and bought a 10 Metre length of 8 mm O/D, 6mm I/D microbore soft copper tubing from Screwfix.

Everything went fairly smoothly, and I got it all finished up earlier this morning.

So I just need to refill the tank now and see if it runs.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Hey Ian

I had a similar issue to your and replaced all my breather lines to sort it out but still had the petrol smell on the odd occasion after that and it turned out to be the filler hose had gone hard after all the years and petrol would weep out around the filler neck on the odd occasion.

Im not sure where yours fills from as its a different setup to the A. But found some really good hose that soled the problem.  You might have already changed yours but if not its worth doing.

https://www.theopelproject.com/fuel-tank-filler-hose-problem-solved/

Andy

43 minutes ago, 611 said:

Hey Ian

I had a similar issue to your and replaced all my breather lines to sort it out but still had the petrol smell on the odd occasion after that and it turned out to be the filler hose had gone hard after all the years and petrol would weep out around the filler neck on the odd occasion.

Im not sure where yours fills from as its a different setup to the A. But found some really good hose that soled the problem.  You might have already changed yours but if not its worth doing.

https://www.theopelproject.com/fuel-tank-filler-hose-problem-solved/

Andy

Aha, that’s really good information Andy, many thanks.

I will see how we go over the next couple of weeks, but if the smell persists I will look closely at this area too.

Thanks again 👍

Got woken up early this morning, thanks to the builders working on a loft extension. Seriously, who starts using power tools at 07:00 on a Sunday morning?!

Anyway, once I am awake that's it, I have to get up.

So, I decided to make good use of the time and do a trial fit of the Coupe boot that I sourced a couple of years back. When I tried to repair the one that came with the car, it was, at best, a serious bodge... But it did at least result in one that wasn't (outwardly) rotten, so I guess it served a purpose?

This was the extend of my bodging at the time - a mixture of bad welding a tons of filler to try to make it straight and fit:

The replacement was sourced many moons ago, for the princely sum of £20 - needless to say I grabbed it and got away from there as quickly as I could!. It must have come from a Cavalier slightly older car than mine, as it didn't have the pre-drilled holes for the 2000 badge on the left hand end. The reason it had to be either from a Cav or early Manta, was because it had the trim 'pins' on the facing edge - important to me.

After removing some very minor surface rust and a couple of coats of primer and some sanding, I put it away for another day.

Today was that day, and it seems to still be in good nick and fitted pretty well:

Sadly, we lost my previous Cat helper Domino a couple of years ago (see some photos in some previous posts in this project thread), but he has a replacement - meet Bentley everyone. He is just as curious as Domino, but because of his tender years, he doesn't know quite when to keep out of the way just yet lol

On a more serious note, anyone have spares, or know where to source these trim clips please. They are the ones that hold the chrome trim strip on the facing edge of the Cav's boot lid. I have, at best, 5 - but I need a total of 7.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IanMc said:

Aha, that’s really good information Andy, many thanks.

I will see how we go over the next couple of weeks, but if the smell persists I will look closely at this area too.

Thanks again 👍

No problem Ian.

I stumbled upon it almost by chance as every time i filled up there was never any leaks it was just one odd day that i noticed a drip after filling up, then found it was the filler and problem solved! I spent so much time on the breather, that probably did need doing but might not have even been part of the issue. So i always try to share just in case it helps someone else save a ton of time!

Looks like you are cracking on with yours now 🙂

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

Got woken up early this morning, thanks to the builders working on a loft extension. Seriously, who starts using power tools at 07:00 on a Sunday morning?!

So, I decided to make good use of the time and do a trial fit of the Coupe boot that I sourced a couple of years back. When I tried to repair the one that came with the car, it was, at best, a serious bodge... But it did at least result in one that wasn't (outwardly) rotten, so I guess it served a purpose?

This was the extend of my bodging at the time - a mixture of bad welding a tons of filler to try to make it straight and fit:

The replacement was sourced many moons ago, for the princely sum of £20 - needless to say I grabbed it and got away from there as quickly as I could!. It must have come from a Cavalier slightly older car than mine, as it didn't have the pre-drilled holes for the 2000 badge on the left hand end. The reason it had to be either from a Cav or early Manta, was because it had the trim 'pins' on the facing edge - important to me.

After removing some very minor surface rust and a couple of coats of primer and some sanding, I put it away for another day.

Today was that day, and it seems to still be in good nick and fitted pretty well:

Sadly, we lost my previous Cat helper Domino a couple of years ago (see some photos in some previous posts in this project thread), but he has a replacement - meet Bentley everyone. He is just as curious as Domino, but because of his tender years, he doesn't know quite when to keep out of the way just yet lol

On a more serious note, anyone have spares, or know where to source these trim clips please. They are the ones that hold the chrome trim strip on the facing edge of the Cav's boot lid. I have, at best, 5 - but I need a total of 7.

They look like the standard trip clips, i bought a whole bunch for mine when i fitted the trim, let me see if i have a few spare. I can look tonight for you.

1 hour ago, 611 said:

1 hour ago, 611 said:

They look like the standard trip clips, i bought a whole bunch for mine when i fitted the trim, let me see if i have a few spare. I can look tonight for you.

That would be great, many thanks!

Edited by IanMc

12 hours ago, IanMc said:

Hi, good to read your posts again.

I thought I had some of those clips but mine look slightly different. If you think they will work im happy to stick a couple in the post for you. Ive not found a use for them, so far, so i think they are surplus to requirements. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

I thought I had some of those clips but mine look slightly different. If you think they will work im happy to stick a couple in the post for you. Ive not found a use for them, so far, so i think they are surplus to requirements. 

They look like the ones used on the sill trim as they are about twice the size of the other trim clips.

Andy

8 hours ago, IanMc said:

That would be great, many thanks!

Ian

I have 3 brand new ones i can spare. I will take a pic and a quick measurement tomorrow and post the pics, then if they are the ones, just drop me a message with your address and i can get them off in the post to you.

Andy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 611 said:

Ian

I have 3 brand new ones i can spare. I will take a pic and a quick measurement tomorrow and post the pics, then if they are the ones, just drop me a message with your address and i can get them off in the post to you.

Andy

Thank you Sir! 🙏🏻🤞

1 hour ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Thanks mate, really appreciate your offer. As Andy has already said, those ones are slightly bigger, and used for the Cav side mouldings and sill covers.

The ones I am looking for are about a third of that size.

Sincere thanks though 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IanMc said:

Thank you Sir! 🙏🏻🤞

Thanks mate, really appreciate your offer. As Andy has already said, those ones are slightly bigger, and used for the Cav side mouldings and sill covers.

The ones I am looking for are about a third of that size.

Sincere thanks though 👍

Hi Ian

Here they are.

3 hours ago, 611 said:

Hi Andy,

Firstly, you have to love a Mitutoyo manual vernier caliper - 10/10 👍

Next, yes Sir - they are indeed the kiddies! 
👍👍👍👍👍

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Hi Andy,

Firstly, you have to love a Mitutoyo manual vernier caliper - 10/10 👍

Next, yes Sir - they are indeed the kiddies! 
👍👍👍👍👍

Oh, yes. None of this modern stuff, just proper good old measuring.

Its come in very handy for bolt sizes on the rebuild and also for the Lambretta, im now restoring.

Message me your address and i will pop them in and envelope and post them on Wednesday.

Andy

22 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

ah yes .i was assuming it was ians cav which im sure was white. the one in the pic ( yours ) looks english red (bright copper) on my pad !

my mistake .

I did wonder if you were thinking Ian's when you said was it originally white 🙂

He also would have needed to give it a pretty hefty facelift to get the Cav to look like the A series 🙂

Mine is the Cardianl red that it came in originally.