Not sure about this one !!

Gareth08

Hi,

So this is the start of my GTE Exclusive restoration... as you can see its seriously rotten especially the A posts, swan necks and bulkhead area !!!

Not even convinced as yet if it's salvageable. I don't think there is one panel that doesn't have rot in it πŸ™

Not sure about engine choice or much else at the moment.

Β 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

It does look a little crispy around the edges. but with the availability of panels from germany on the up all the time it may not be as bad as you think.

Wing mounting rails, floor pans, chassis rails, jacking points and swan necks are all easily available. Even the outer cover for the A post (around the hinges) is available now. The bulkhead pieces (behind accel pedal areas) are not available yet but they can be made easily from sheet metal.

Same for the front of the washer tray area, just use sheet metal to form the pieces. This is one of the trickier areas as its the joint of 4 or 5 panels all in the one seam at the front (which is why it rots so bad) and you need to cut a fair amount out of all the panels to be able to make them one by one and rebuild. But its all been done and there are many pics on here in the build threads to show how it can be done. So plenty of research and do a section at a time until its all done.

Β 

Thanks guys. I'm sure there will be plenty more questions starting with this one !!

Rolled the car today on its spit and the chassis rails are worse than I thought at first. My question is that on Dr Manta site he lists two different chassis rail types one is listed as ' side member and one as ' chassis rail with reinforcement '. Then there is the swan neck section.

What have others bought and the difference between the two ?

I am able to fabricate reasonably well and was thinking about just replacing with new ones made from 50 x 50 and 50 x 75 box section but would prefer original look.

Any help/advise appreciate.

Thanks

https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/products.php?cat=1790

try Tjmotorsport, they have a good selection of klockerholm repair panels for the manta b.

retropower press to order the A section forward of the door hinges, this panel includes 1/2 theΒ wing mounting rail and the original lip on the inner wheel arch.

Β 

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 18:40, Gareth08 said:

Hi,

So this is the start of my GTE Exclusive restoration... as you can see its seriously rotten especially the A posts, swan necks and bulkhead area !!!

Not even convinced as yet if it's salvageable. I don't think there is one panel that doesn't have rot in it πŸ™

Not sure about engine choice or much else at the moment.

Β 

Definitely a lot to go at. On the bright side it’s a desirable car and to find/buy a solid one would of cost you a fair sum. Good luck πŸ‘

• 1 year later...

Saw this when it was posted on FB just after I had chosen the colour for my 400r. I was very happy to see it works 😎

However, I would worry with that much of a change to the 'chasis' that it would be given a Q plate (obviously it's about luck with this) 😬

I love the car though, a lot - just not brave enough to semi space frame one, even though I think it's a great idea.

Edited by Jessopia74

yes i think the thinking behind it was it was so far gone that he was saving a scrap carΒ  tbh i didnt know when i posted befor that this was actually on hereΒ  it was only reading back through past project logs wich i do regularly i spotted it and twigged

You are correct that is my car although it has changed a little since then... am hoping to install the engine/gearbox over Xmas along with the new braking system... then I can work out exhausts, radiator and other bits...

Its now having a 363 Ford Stroker running through a modified T5 World Class transmission and a 8.8 Ford LSD axle... wilwood brakes and a whole host of other bits etc... it did end up being virtually a fu chassis from front to back with full custom front suspension and a triangulated 4 bar link on the rear with fully adjustable coilovers all round....oh... and I've left  some space in the boot for the twin NoS tanks 😁

Edited by Gareth08
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, stumpy said:

what sort of bhp will that kick out mate

Conservative I'm looking at around 450 to 475 but should be closer I hope to 550 + initially... then once I finish some other bits off and tune it properly should be 600 + without the Nos... Nos is a 3 stage system that should add another 300HP... however that is not a given and as usual with me ideas change 🀣🀣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth08 said:

Conservative I'm looking at around 450 to 475 but should be closer I hope to 550 + initially... then once I finish some other bits off and tune it properly should be 600 + without the Nos... Nos is a 3 stage system that should add another 300HP... however that is not a given and as usual with me ideas change 🀣🀣

That's a monster NOS, should be close to 10s 1/4 that if you can the power down mate, awesome😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

That's a monster NOS, should be close to 10s 1/4 that if you can the power down mate, awesome😎

Very similar kit to the one I used to run in my Cobra and the actual engine build is not to dissimilar either... that car used to pick the front up wheels on a really hard launch.

• Like 2