Auction Watch: Red 84A GTE Coupe

perhaps the 4000 miles could be correct, ive just checked the mot history and it states this vehicle has not had its first mot yet  !!!

Might have been laid up in the 80s, but drivers seat looks a little worn on the lower bolster.

4 minutes ago, chrisb said:

perhaps the 4000 miles could be correct, ive just checked the mot history and it states this vehicle has not had its first mot yet  !!!

Might have been laid up in the 80s, but drivers seat looks a little worn on the lower bolster.

I recon that’s gone round, too shabby to be 4000 miles only. If the underside is like the top it should be a nice simple project for someone! 

2 hours ago, chrisb said:

Any mots done before 2005 are not logged on the system,so its fair to say its been laid up since the last tax disc ran out.

Looks like a good un😎

• Like 2

The seat looks like it’s done 100k but the rest of the car still looks good and fresh. You’d need to see dental records to be sure.

Imagine buying that thinking it was 104,000 and it did turn out to only be 4,000!!!

I hope someone in the club wins it then we’ll find out 😀.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

The seat looks like it’s done 100k but the rest of the car still looks good and fresh. You’d need to see dental records to be sure.

Imagine buying that thinking it was 104,000 and it did turn out to only be 4,000!!!

I hope someone in the club wins it then we’ll find out 😀.

Has to be 104K. Pedal rubbers worn, steering wheel shiny and the worn bolster as previously said. Note also the front of the nearside wing has rusted through.

Edited by Monaco Blue

33 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Has to be 104K. Pedal runners worn, steering wheel shiny and the worn bolster as previously said. Note also the front of the nearside wing has rusted through.

Looks like there is a small hole on the inside of the drivers wing too about midway...if they are still the original GM wings i would try and repair them as they look good overall as does the rest of the car...nice example that looks like it will not need a complete strip down....🤔could be money in this one potentially... definitely a very viable project🤔

When is it up for auction😎

I thought  i recognised the number plate. I looked at it when it was at the Mathewsons auction earlier in the year. It has had welding done in the past to the back of both sills (which look like home made patches over the old sill) and the NS chassis rail also patched so it was on the road and used long enough to go rusty and be welded up again. It certainly looked like 104000miles to me from looking around the car.

Both swan necks were bulged and cracking as they were just blowing from the inside out, one right next to th eprevious overpatch. There was also rust visible from under the washer tray front corner and battery tray. Plus the rusty hole in the drivers wing. The paint looks good in pictures but there was spidering marks under the paint around the rear arches and front wings along with some rust under the paint on the front wings. It has a glass dealer fit sunroof so thats one area that won't be an issue.

In all it was a good honest car that has been dry stored off the road for many years. It only made £6750 back then and didn't hit the reserve, infact none of the 3 in that auction hit their reserves as i think the owners/auctionhouse still had over inflated ideas of what they were worth after their 20K sale of the coupe previously

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this Manta sold and how much it realised? I'm only curious as I know this car very well from my childhood and knew it had been dry stored for many years. Recently I had thought about contacting the owner to see if it was still in storage and if he would sell it but I guess I'm a bit too late! I remember when he put it into storage because my dad shared the same garage. He bought a new Cavalier in the mid to late 90s so tax disk is about right. The car was a daily driver so mileage was probably over 100k too. 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 23:34, Ben1975 said:

Does anyone know if this Manta sold and how much it realised? I'm only curious as I know this car very well from my childhood and knew it had been dry stored for many years. Recently I had thought about contacting the owner to see if it was still in storage and if he would sell it but I guess I'm a bit too late! I remember when he put it into storage because my dad shared the same garage. He bought a new Cavalier in the mid to late 90s so tax disk is about right. The car was a daily driver so mileage was probably over 100k too. 

According to the auction website it did not sell,...no idea what kind of money it did reach though,somebody on here may know.

Looks like it may be up for grabs again...great project car with potential hope you get it given you have a bit of history/backstorey on it.😎