sunroof stuck adjustment ?

hoobby

tried to open my sunroof for the first time in 18 years to find handle does go over to open but only the back edge drops slightly feels pretty solid is this suppose to drop under gravity or linkage also back n/s rear corner is sitting too low and there is a gap where water can easily get in adjustment ?

Even with a perfect seal, believe it or not the seal let's alot of water.

The drains allow water into the sills, and battery tray bulk head into top of swan necks! That was the plan, to sell you an Astra, Calibra in ten years.

Cure, get the drain extended to outside the sill, plug the hole on top of swan neck......sorted.

9 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

close it again and leave it shut for the next 18 years !

worst invention ever ? lol

that is the plan clean the seal up and seal shut never use it anyway and no more water inside the car when I can get it to open just really don't want to break anything in there.

Edited by hoobby

If you do get it open prob best to clear the drain pipes, as it shouldn't leak if drains are clean. 

Wire coat hanger should do it,  easy fix,  but you will need to extend the drains to save sills. 

I had mine outside years ago, whilst extending drains. Got caught out by 15min thunderstorm, I had drain pipe inside a jam jar,during the storm. With sunroof shut,  it filled the jar.

Just goes to show how much water gets through a seal, and it was perfect.  

There is a section in Haynes manual if needed, guide to sunroof removal.

• Like 1

1652888962472-1707046055.thumb.jpg.de89d73c3708f70e47859290e581e2a9.jpg

Progress but that's as far as I can get it slides back easily to this point then stops abruptly with a metal hitting metal sound did push it a little further back becomes extremely stiff and very hard to move forward again to the point may not get it closed

front edge still sitting high is it supposed to be like that at this point ?

16 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

you will need to extend the drains

Can you tell me what's involved 

Edited by hoobby
High edge

Mines been sealed shut since long before I owned it. The sealant they used hasn’t perished or started pealing off yet. Several body shops have rang me asking why they can’t open it lol. It’s stuck solid. Thankfully 

You can extend drain pipes with a section from another car.

Someone here will have some.

You can join it with a plastic joint or copper pipe,  8mm.

Think you can take the headlining off the sunroof panel... See what's what.

Wouldn't seal it,  would get it working and clean and extend drains.

Then look for how to protect inner roof.

If they where build correctly,  they wouldn't have caused issues. 

• Like 1

Took the handle surround off so I could push on the panel not the handle and it's open just a really tight spot at the spot(photo above) opening or closing  then I closed it and wished I hadn't opened it 

IMG_20220520_170251.thumb.jpg.073281bf049530310835ecdcaebf9464.jpg

:o:o:o

55 minutes ago, hoobby said:

Took the handle surround off so I could push on the panel not the handle and it's open just a really tight spot at the spot(photo above) opening or closing  then I closed it and wished I hadn't opened it 

Beginning of the end sadly 

3 hours ago, hoobby said:

At least you’ve got it moving. If you don’t need to use the car I would suggest you take it out and strip it down now while you can. If you wait it may cease solid.

• Like 1

the way it unbolts is fairly self explanatory when its open and you look at it. but as you have now found out they are a fussy roof. a bit of stiffness here and there or a bit of slack or a misadjustment and you end up with the scratched panel. there is not much clearence even when perfect. if you are not going to use it i would shut it (after checking the drains) and leave it .

a good bodyshop should be able to paint without removing it.pity the other gm glass sunroofs arnt a direct fit or you could swap it rather than paint !

• Like 1

Would it be worth considering a Clio sunroof conversion or a solid roof skin replacement at this stage, or would you get years out of the existing roof if the sunroof is left closed and the inside roof cleaned and preserved with rust converter, wax oil etc? 

• Like 1

always makes me wonder who thought of a sunroof in the first place. 

lets sit in a self propelled box with a big square hole above our head to let the sun try to burn a hole into our heads.

sunroofs always either leak,seize or rust up the surrounding areas.or let water into areas where its detrimental.

the original slide handle design wasnt exactly improved much with the later(as on carltons etc)turn handle design.

just a pity that any slight issues with alignment ,wear or rust causes the bad scratching that it does.most of us with that design have experienced the scratches ! and thats one of those stressfull moments that you wish you hadnt tried to open it "to see if it opens !"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

always makes me wonder who thought of a sunroof in the first place. 

lets sit in a self propelled box with a big square hole above our head to let the sun try to burn a hole into our heads.

sunroofs always either leak,seize or rust up the surrounding areas.or let water into areas where its detrimental.

the original slide handle design wasnt exactly improved much with the later(as on carltons etc)turn handle design.

just a pity that any slight issues with alignment ,wear or rust causes the bad scratching that it does.most of us with that design have experienced the scratches ! and thats one of those stressfull moments that you wish you hadnt tried to open it "to see if it opens !"

It’s the rust that does the scratching sadly as it swells in between the skins. 

Thanks everyone will have to go for strip treat and repair I know it's not the best option and yes I understand it will come back but finances are not good at mo maybe in a few years can sort this out.

So to get the headliner out windscreen and rear window out DIY or leave it to the pros cost?.

Edited by hoobby