Goldy on fleabay

it just shows indeed.

im just glad i bought mine when they were current cars and the prices were resonable. anyone wanting to get into the classic car scene nowadays would need a fortune to do so . and lets face it a car like that a few years back would have been a £500 banger and if you were looking for a decent keeper you would have definately not given it a second glance . and were not talking too many years back either. 10 years ago my ex was running a very very tidy one with under 40000 on and offered it to me for free as she was changing cars and didnt get offered anything in px.she bought it a few years earlier ( around 2005) with 29000 on for £900. ( think it ended up on ebay and sold for £200) 

bit like house prices realy. hard for a newcomer to get into ownership now .they have risen out of proportion to inflation.

• Like 3

On 29/02/2024 at 18:32, cam.in.head said:

it just shows indeed.

im just glad i bought mine when they were current cars and the prices were resonable. anyone wanting to get into the classic car scene nowadays would need a fortune to do so . and lets face it a car like that a few years back would have been a £500 banger and if you were looking for a decent keeper you would have definately not given it a second glance . and were not talking too many years back either. 10 years ago my ex was running a very very tidy one with under 40000 on and offered it to me for free as she was changing cars and didnt get offered anything in px.she bought it a few years earlier ( around 2005) with 29000 on for £900. ( think it ended up on ebay and sold for £200) 

bit like house prices realy. hard for a newcomer to get into ownership now .they have risen out of proportion to inflation.

Absolutely. I don't own a Manta any more and realistically unless some rich uncle I've never heard of leaves me a fortune I probably never will again.

no and the problem is that people who want one have to pay the stupid prices people ask for them nowadays . lets face it a few years back if you found a unused mot failure in a garden they would have let you have it for free just to help them out . now people are asking way too much on ebay for scrap . last year i nearly got one for parts .it was a cav gl possibly v reg on the back of a recovery truck in halifax. pulled out of a garden and no doubt destined straight for the scrapyard . i asked the guy but he wanted £500 for it !  bet it went straight for scrap thou ? ?

as i said earlier im glad im not in the market for a classic cos even thou i love my cars and will prob keep them forever theres no way i would pay those prices . my mate is the same . he has a firenza that he paid £500 for a fair few year back and laughs when i tell him it could be now be "worth ?" maybee 4 or 5k 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

no and the problem is that people who want one have to pay the stupid prices people ask for them nowadays . lets face it a few years back if you found a unused mot failure in a garden they would have let you have it for free just to help them out . now people are asking way too much on ebay for scrap . last year i nearly got one for parts .it was a cav gl possibly v reg on the back of a recovery truck in halifax. pulled out of a garden and no doubt destined straight for the scrapyard . i asked the guy but he wanted £500 for it !  bet it went straight for scrap thou ? ?

as i said earlier im glad im not in the market for a classic cos even thou i love my cars and will prob keep them forever theres no way i would pay those prices . my mate is the same . he has a firenza that he paid £500 for a fair few year back and laughs when i tell him it could be now be "worth ?" maybee 4 or 5k 

I feel the same way. I got into opels because fords were too expensive back then. My first hatch cost 600 and was a basket case. I bought my red hatch off here for 200 and the rest is history. I bought my b1 coupe from a garden sale (it was in someone’s front garden) for £60. There’s no way we’re living those days again. 

its obviously the rarity and market that forces prices up. if someone sees that you can advertise a certain car for an "amount" then they try the same with their car too and then it escalates. the  cost of purchase then becomes "what the car will sell for rather than what its actually worth" and so it begins.

they always used to say that whatever you spend on a car you never get back but that seems to be out of the window now. there are cases of cars been seen for a certain price looking grotty then popping up a few weeks later looking like new for twice the price.   if i were in the market i would always look for an original unmolested or slightly unloved but basically sound car where you can see whats what and what needs doing. no way would i pay over the odds for a finished car when you have no idea how the repairs were done under the shiny new paint ! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, evo3000 said:

That interior looks mint,showing  just under 15k on the clocks...i wonder...😎

I thought the same re the seats. A good indicator I'd say. It was MOT'd back in 2022 with no advisories. 1st recorded MOT.

Looks unmolested 10-12k Car once all the usual bits are done maybe !!🤔 .D I Y.

Delicate strip Sort welding if any Delicate reconstruct. Kept original. MINT 😎

• 4 weeks later...

Taking into consideration tax exempt by the time you've made it perfect it's a cheap investment for a Manta Guru.

Some may disagree but the pleasurefull memories of driving or passenger in the  car and era are priceless Money is Nothing in the grand scheme you can't take it with you. We would all be happy millionaires (the cars we've been thru if we valued life's pleasures instead of greedy .gov influenced policies  "in hindsight." Personally I'd like to hear the car coming that's going to run over me 😏.. Lots to debate there " OLD PEOPLE DONT SLEEP BEWARE.😳!!😂😂😂"

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...