2.0 Turbo Of Big Block V8?

paul691

16v turbo OR v8  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine?

• 16v Turbo
    • Big Block v8

ive been working on my manta coupe for a while now. i'm still welding up the shell but i'm thinking of going in a different direction with things.

my plan was to fit a c20let engine which i already have. its moddified and is producing around 300bhp. now i'm thinking is it worth going for something with a bit more grunt, a HEMI v8? its a long term project, so time and money arnt really a problem. i have another manta that i'm playing with in the mean time, a rover 3.5 v8.

when its all done i want a car thats going to be good on the 1/4 mile, but also road legal.

is there anyone on here thats fitted a HEMI engine into a manta B? will it need space framing or can it be mounted onto the standard axle? also i assume the running gear will be totally custom?

what are peoples thoughts.....discuss....

title should read 2.0 Turbo OR Big Block V8?

i cant seem to edit it....?

ive been working on my manta coupe for a while now. i'm still welding up the shell but i'm thinking of going in a different direction with things.

my plan was to fit a c20let engine which i already have. its moddified and is producing around 300bhp. now i'm thinking is it worth going for something with a bit more grunt, a HEMI v8? its a long term project, so time and money arnt really a problem. i have another manta that i'm playing with in the mean time, a rover 3.5 v8.

when its all done i want a car thats going to be good on the 1/4 mile, but also road legal.

is there anyone on here thats fitted a HEMI engine into a manta B? will it need space framing or can it be mounted onto the standard axle? also i assume the running gear will be totally custom?

what are peoples thoughts.....discuss....

title should read 2.0 Turbo OR Big Block V8?

i cant seem to edit it....?

Hi Paul, I have a 3.9 rover engined Manta A. The engine has been up-rated with stage 3 heads, Piper stealth cam, high rev lifters, adjustable push rods, stud kit, Webber 500, with bottom lightened and balanced. Last run at the Pod I got a 13.7 quarter, however I did have a problem with the dizzy....now replaced. I have changed the rear axle for a narrowed Commodore item with new half shafts by Strange in the US. Front stub axles and hubs are matching 5 stud Commodore ones. The gearbox is a Getrag 275 which I bought new but was destined for a Monza/Senator A.

Not sure how much power it is putting out but this should give you a good idea of how a modified Manta which has covered over 24,000 road use miles in the last 4 years performs on the quarter mile.

Cheers,

Paul Holtom

I,ve voted V8 but i am biased. I've fit alot of engines in Mantas for a living both V8 and and 2.0 and unless you need a 2.0 for a reason and you can afford it, i.e. racing regulations i'd alway go V8. A 300 BHP 2.0 is going to be working a lot harder than a 300 bhp V8, it will give less MPG and the sound, oh the sound of V8.

In my experience, the Hemi is the similar power as a small block but is lot more grief and money then the SBC or SBF.

If your near me, pop over and i'll show you something which will help you make up your mind.

Would go 2.0ltr - my personal opinion that the the v8 is a bit old school

:thumbup , matches the car then in my opinion , soundtrack of a v8 is hard to beat as is the progressive power delivery ;)

but it all amounts to how deep your pockets are :blink:

Hmmmm this is a really tough one for me.

As I built a Rover V8 powered Manta, and yet I've been driving Turbo'd cars for years.

Nice thing about Turbo'd cars is that unless you spool up the turbo you will get good fuel economy (can get 29.8 MPG from my Skyline)

Nice thing about V8's is that they are BIG SEXY MUVVA FUKKIN' engines and sound BRIIILLLIANNT.

And at the end of the day it aint about fuel economy, GOTTA BE V8

Also a nice point to note is that I read an article where Jap drifters were now going V8 route to get the power they require due to the fact that they are inherintly powerful from the start, and they are cheaper to mod safely over modifying a forced induction engine.

Downside with the LET is the absolute rip off price of the modifying components. I would see that you should be able to get 300BHP quite easily from the LET, but the Engine rebuild costs to make sure it's going to handle this power reliably would simply outweigh the cheaper V8 route.

I have not lost the though of the SBF route as it is a narrower block than the Rover V8 and headers can be bought in 100's of designs to clear anything from the USA and can be tuned cheaply too I've been using this Company for years http://www.summitracing.com/

If you wonder why I mention Headers, WELL they are the real limiting factor when fitting a V8 into the Manta due to the proximity of the chassis rails in the engine bay to the side of the block. Not much point putting a big sexy V8 in and strangling it with crap headers.

Not sure which Hemi you are looking at, but the most famous and rare one is the Chrysler 426 Hemi..7000cc plus...an original Hemi engine would cost up to £15000, even a newer repro crate hemi will be expensive.... then a gearbox, back axle...so I would go for a lighter Aluminium Vauxhall Monaro (Chevy Corvette) engine and manual 6 speed box..buy a complete crashed car, then sell off all bits not required!!!

The more i think about it the more factors are involved in the decision.

both routes will probably require a new tranmission, a 300 bhp LET would seriously test the gearbox and axle of a Manta, so either the LET or V8 will need lots of work modifying the Manta.

It really depends what you want to do with the Manta when you have finnished it, if handling will be important then the LET should be lighter up front. Striaght line grunt (you mentioned quarter mile outings) then the V8 can deliver in spades.

• 2 weeks later...