1978 Manta Sr Berlinetta - Australian Version!

GTREA

Dave hit the nail on the head regarding the tail lights, the red is chalky and faded looking, especially noticeable against the new paint.

Going black would mean it would look 'fresher'

I love all the brightwork i wouldnt have it any other way ;)

I am just so thankful this car was 100% complete, all the bright work is in really good condition considering the cars age and the condition the car was in itself!

Except the wheel arch trims which are to far gone, I have some 10 mm self adhesive chrome trim coming to replace them.

The Berlinetta badge as well as some of the rubber bump strips are going to have to be held on with double sided adhesive tape, I got the best stuff I could find, but am still worried they may blow off!

Interior will be 100% original, it is in fantastic condition ;)

Why have you got to stick the Berlinetta badge on, is it because the little pins on the rear have broken off? If so I have a very nice one that you are welcome to, if you want it Pm me your address and I will pop it in the post for you.

Dave hit the nail on the head regarding the tail lights, the red is chalky and faded looking, especially noticeable against the new paint.

Going black would mean it would look 'fresher'

I love all the brightwork i wouldnt have it any other way ;)

I am just so thankful this car was 100% complete, all the bright work is in really good condition considering the cars age and the condition the car was in itself!

Except the wheel arch trims which are to far gone, I have some 10 mm self adhesive chrome trim coming to replace them.

The Berlinetta badge as well as some of the rubber bump strips are going to have to be held on with double sided adhesive tape, I got the best stuff I could find, but am still worried they may blow off!

Interior will be 100% original, it is in fantastic condition ;)

where are you getting the chrome wheel arch trim? i could be doing with replacement.

kenny

where are you getting the chrome wheel arch trim? i could be doing with replacement.

kenny

Hi Kenny

iI believe he is going to fit self adhesive half round flexible plastic chrome strip similar to the profile on your windscreen rubbers.

I had the same fitted to a Cavalier Sportshatch i used to own & it looked ok

• Like 1

another epic project nearing completion! styling is perfect, would have it any other way. Another example of what can be done, this treat is ear marked for another thorough read! again!!

Best of luck with the remaining finishing touches, and health to enjoy.

Ps, Red lights, try Motocross plastic restoration video on YOUTUBE. involves really fine wet and dry, but does look good.

Once done,I would say good wax or even clear coat would stop future fading.

Ive yet to try this, as I am in same situation. rear red surround fade!

• Like 1

Why have you got to stick the Berlinetta badge on, is it because the little pins on the rear have broken off? If so I have a very nice one that you are welcome to, if you want it Pm me your address and I will pop it in the post for you.

Thats very kind Julian ;)

yes the pins on the back were very corroded and broke on removal, I've tried to pull it off and I cannot, its on there good so I don't think it will blow off......but if it does and you still have it I will pm you ;)

kenny

Yes just 10mm self adhesive chrome trim from ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190869574276?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Its what this guy has used to good effect I think (well I actually dont have a choice! :) )

10296328_565559633561276_860612622047903

Little more progress, surprisingly time consuming process metal cleaning all the trim before refitting!

Most of the front end back together

20140504_162404_zps6f1be095.jpg

Both headlight wash wiper motors work ;)

Whilst cleaning the headlights in the sink under hot water the friggin lens fell off one of them! (RHS pic above) I resealed with silicone but worried if they cannot handle a little heat will the other fall out in our sun?.....also whilst the lens fell off I thought id 'brasso' the dirty headlight reflector.....BIG mistake it did not polish it ripped off the silver that was on there, turning it a bronzey colour :(

20140504_162328_zps440814fd.jpg

Side windows fitted.

What a stupid idea those little single sided chrome hinges are!...I ordered these much more stable looking versions

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370871151113?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

20140504_162210_zps9c42fbcd.jpg

Front and rear screens get fitted Thursday, $100 sealed and new chrome fitted, money well spent I reckon rather than i try to refit and break them.

Also ordered a new chrome petrol cap and new electric aerial

• Like 1

Excellent. Cheers for the info on chrome. You and Dave. I was expecting to run the trim on the inside lip of the arch. Not sure about how it looks on the outside edge. My chrome is untidy on the inner edge. Hope it works.

• 1 month later...
My Chrome trim arrived and I had a professional window fitter come around and fit it, turns out he was from Biringham and was a 40 year old bloke like me and did he freak out when the garage door went up...." A Manta!...aint seen one of those in 20 years!"
Loving the reaction I get from all that have seen this car over here, especially the english people!
But the chrome was not sufficient to complete the job!
d6181c30-3444-4bbe-9552-578e65ac1ddc_zps
Little bit of a protracted discussion to resolve issue atm with eBay seller
Anyway the engine is in.....kinda
10264063_10152123736418342_6987469207576
We sat the engine in a few weeks back and soon realised height was going to be an issue.
Yesterday I went out to my mates where the car resides now and we got the engine sitting in there properly
So knowing it was going to be tight fit under the bonnet (if it fitted at all) I bought some engine mounts from CAPA (a supercharger company over here) which minimise flex.
20140608_121222_zps0a98672a.jpg
Original mounts had to go from cross member
20140608_124432_zpscaa9a1fd.jpg
In order for the engine to sit under the bonnet, the steering rack has had to be removed and will be lowered, and the cross member will be scalloped a bit for clearance to the sump and to suit the lowered steering rack.
The motor just fits under the bonnet, without removing any of the structure underneath the bonnet, and with the sump just resting on the cross member.
20140608_125442_zps4b8be338.jpg
Motor sits very nicely, plenty of room for radiator and I think I may be able to get 'a' booster in there as well with 110- 120mm clearance to engine (manta booster around 100mm deep)
May be room for the factory heater box to with 'about' 270mm from firewall to motor (Manta heater box about 280mm deep)
Going to be close!
20140608_133246_zps320ec541.jpg
Standard exhaust manifolds fit, and are not cast so can be welded, I just cut the Cats and exhaust temp sensors off here.
Drivers side one does cross right in front of steering arm so last port will have to be re-routed.
20140608_133328_zps659defbc.jpg
Checking everything is level
20140608_145100_zps9141428b.jpg
My mate made this up to make sure the engine was perfectly centralised....and stayed centralised.
20140608_154543_zpsaa23146c.jpg
Ta daaa....bonnet fits, tight but no problem.....and catch needs to be raised about 5-10mm as bonnet sits low at front
20140608_163508_zpsb0beaa15.jpg
All in all pretty happy it all fits in there! bar some fucking around with the steering rack but should be ok.
Two weeks time......Transmission into tunnel!
Edited by GTREA
  • Like 5

I just cut the Cats and exhaust temp sensors off here.

The exhaust temp sensors are probably Lambda sensors which read the exhaust hydrocarbons and provide a close loop feedback to the ECU addjusting the fueling, the engine might not fuel correctly or even run without them, they need to be at relevantly the same postion to their original position to work at their best.

Sorry I probably did not word that very well.

The sensors will be going back in

But just aft of where I chopped the manifold on the 1 UZ is a small catalytic converter, a large flange and the sensor, it just was never going to fit the manta.

Sensors will be refitted and just one large catalytic converter will be fitted (by law) further down the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have really slowed on this now, I only get to work on it for around 4 hours every 2 weeks.

Today we trial fitted the trans to the tunnel, and it fits no problem at all....much to my surprise!

20140622_140435_zpsaf66f016.jpg

Note where the steering column goes thru the exhaust manifold here!.....there is room to cut and go around though.

20140622_140638_zps6e9fd017.jpg

We are going to have to change engine mounts, as the ones I have are to bulky, im just going to buy these CRS 1UZ to Holden Torana mounts. They will not be an exact fit but will be damn close and will save a lot of time fabbing up from scratch

EM111.jpg

EMR4%20large.jpg

Steering rack is now the only real issue to fitting this engine

20140622_153947_zpse3f54421.jpg

I do not think the crossmember will need any scalloping anymore, for the sump or the rack, but The small section of the rear part of the metal sump pan needs cutting away and the crossmember itself may need dropping 10mm.

Its mainly the knuckle on the top of the steering rack which is conflicting with the sump pan just on the edge where it bolts up....so close.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry no updates :(

Totally hit a brick wall on this, I cant believe it after the early progress

Mates got a few issues in his life, and no time for this unfortunately, and now its in a state where it has no steering and the engine and box are still not welded in

Its already to go, everything is sitting in place....but its just not happening

Just sitting here like this 

10514448_10152466289473342_7546916399551

I will give it until the end of the month and then pull it out of there.

Sorry no updates :(

Totally hit a brick wall on this, I cant believe it after the early progress

Mates got a few issues in his life, and no time for this unfortunately, and now its in a state where it has no steering and the engine and box are still not welded in

Its already to go, everything is sitting in place....but its just not happening

Just sitting here like this 

10514448_10152466289473342_7546916399551

I will give it until the end of the month and then pull it out of there.

You'll find a way got to be someone who can help you :) Car still looks fab get that mojo back! :thumbup

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ok we finally managed to get another 4hrs in on this yesterday, and all of it spent fucking around with the god damn steering rack and column!....but we are now almost there.

Once thats all in place then its a matter of quickly knocking up the engine and Trans mount so I can take the car away to finish off all the other bits and pieces like exhaust, Brakes and wiring.

It all looks a little messy atm but it really is just so I can get the car moving and steering with everything in place.

I will drop the cross member back at my mates house so he can make it all look 'Factory' again and not some back yard Hack job! 

Pics

m1_zps1759f8ca.jpg

m2_zps1d1c0758.jpg

m3_zps19425fbe.jpg

m4_zps0247ab26.jpg

Here you can see where the steering goes thru the crossmember, we extended the arm so the large rubber joint does not foul on the Crossmember itself.

m5_zps5c6ab77f.jpg
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't think me and the exhaust bloke will be 'Friends' anymore after I drop this off for him to work on :)

I might try and source some exhaust manifold Bolts, rather than the factory Studs so the exhaust Manifolds will come off easier......even then they will be hard to remove and refit I would say!

• 1 month later...

Another 6 weeks another few hours work :)

First 20 minutes spent clearing all the shit

m6_zpsebrmy02x.jpg

Now to make the engine mounts, LH Holden Torana to 1UZ CRS engine mount kit was used, which came close, and saved a lot of fucking around but some extra fiddling was required to get it to mate with the Opel Crossmember

m7_zpslgeige2b.jpg

Tacked in place

m8_zpsrwdjmd8o.jpg

m9_zpsux8gkmtr.jpg

How she sits in the bay

m10_zpsnivduadr.jpg

All engine...a'lotta engine for a small car!

m11_zpsnlzqloc5.jpg

Just the Gearbox mount to go now and I can take it away to have the exhaust fitted, brakes plumbed, and engine wired, as well as finish off all the other little jobs I can do at home, then I will drop it back at my mates so he can tidy up all the welding so it looks all nice and 'factory' and not a Russian tractor as it does atm :)

• Like 4