Mike's Manta.

Mike.

I would think the old shocks are the original ones from factory, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were, they are quite soft, you can rock the car really easily, can’t remember my car’s back in the day being like that. I was told that these fast road one’s were the closest to stock settings they had for sale, the other option was track spec and I’m not set up for that.

the original gm shocks were quite soft and didnt tend to wear that badly as they aged so it wouldnt actually suprise me if your originals were still perfectly ok. 

the thing is.because these cars were originally quite softly sprung and damped any aftermarket shocks can sometimes make the car into an undriveable machine. spoiling the car by being way too stiff.

this is obviously my opinion only and many would dissagree and like a bit more stiffness but see what you think when you fit the new ones. they maybe perfectly ok to you ,and thats what matters.

The Manta is SORN for winter, so when I fit them this weekend I’ll have to wait for spring to get them tested out. I stay on a private road so maybe if I get a fine dry day over the winter months I’ll try it out 👍

• Like 1

I have only one on original shocks, and would image being very close to new condition as possible.

I have also your fast road bilstein and the next step down, bilstein black shock, no longer available. 

Black shocks, Bounce doesn't exist, about 10mm movement, but that's on 60mm lowering springs. 

Fast Road, basically 2x4's no movement, chuck it at a roundabout, then you will get it, 🙃😎

• Haha 1

I don’t have them, but 99% sure there used to be a part number for a reduced height Billy for lowered cars, perhaps deleted.

Also, OEM CC GTE was not softly sprung, it had larger diameter ARB, stiffer and lowered ride & gas shocks. This is a lot different to the earlier B or Cav coupes feel. 

oh yes absolutely and although ive driven a few i personally prefer the softer sprung variants. 

me and you have quite a few different preferences regards this and gearboxes etc but thats what makes us all individuals .and none of us are wrong either. 

if it wasnt for people like us and all the members on here (and other clubs for that matter) then none of our cars would be around anyway so we must be doing something right !

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

oh yes absolutely and although ive driven a few i personally prefer the softer sprung variants. 

me and you have quite a few different preferences regards this and gearboxes etc but thats what makes us all individuals .and none of us are wrong either. 

if it wasnt for people like us and all the members on here (and other clubs for that matter) then none of our cars would be around anyway so we must be doing something right !

Probably not mate, if I used one as a daily you would be right. Although my X3M is hard even on the softest setting, but I don’t kind of have to ,fall into it, as I would a lowered Manta and it certainly is not as rigid overall 😂😂

State of the roads in last 20years means a bit softer is better for the car. Seen lots of pics of lowered up rated cars with turret tops torn due to the conditions 😬 

I got the front shocks changed out tonight, here is the old front shocks,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I started off measuring how high the manta was sitting, then changed them out for the new Bilstein’s,

passenger side,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Driver’s side,

Tightened everything up, Ronals on and lowered her back down, measured height again, exactly the same height, I was just curious to see if the height would change slightly but no. I’m happy with that for an evenings progress, I’ll change the rear’s at the weekend.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 6

Early this afternoon I was able to get back into the garage and finish off changing out the old shocks for the new Bilstein’s, 

here’s the rear passenger side,

and rear drivers side,

It was a nice calm afternoon weather wise with a low sun, so couldn’t resist a small run out on my private road to see if there is any noticeable difference,

the ride height again was checked as all four dampers have now been swapped out and it’s exactly the same as before, as other members have said it’s the spring’s that would lower the car, but I have opted to keep original spring’s and just upgrade the shock’s.

what was the ride like on a small country road? 
I definitely felt it slightly stiffer sprung, nothing to spoil the ride comfort as of yet, I would need a longer run on the public road’s to find out plus a few roundabout’s and tight corners, first impression’s are good, it certainly gave me a feeling of more confidence with less rocking about than before, well pleased with them………roll on spring 👍

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 1

I think Thant looks high at the rear for GTE 💁

Front looks perfect. The dampers will limit the progression of the spring compression, so should definitely improve the drive through corners.  Great dampers. Cant mess with what the experts have figured from years of motorsport experience 😎

I'd agree, it does look a bit jacked up at the rear. Back in the day, the earlier GTE's (Pre D plate cars) looked to sit lower at the rear than the later ones as I recall. 

I took some photos of your car at Orkney this year at the classic car show and it looks pretty much spot-on there. When the car is sitting on the flat, put a spirit level on the sill skirt and see if it's level.

• Like 1

Monaco Blue,

you should have stopped for a chat, when you were up in Orkney car show, that would have been brilliant to put a face to the name 😃

it was quite wet both day’s Saturday and Sunday.

was you just visiting or did you have a car there?

Originally I would think the inner arches and underside of the car would have been heavily stone chipped and painted black, I have it stone chipped and painted white which makes it easy to keep and clean underneath it, but I do think it probably adds to the look of sitting higher at the back, plus you see the spare wheel well is more obvious.

Edited by Mike.

Can't understand why it's sitting higher now, are the springs upsidedown? 

Maybe they need time to settle again, but shouldn't really. 

First time seeing the bottom of the shocks on any manta on the ground. 

Would rear shocks be for a 400? 

Maybe she would sit ok with three adults in the back. 

Main thing is as long as you are happy 👍

18 hours ago, Mike. said:

you should have stopped for a chat, when you were up in Orkney car show, that would have been brilliant to put a face to the name 😃

it was quite wet both day’s Saturday and Sunday.

was you just visiting or did you have a car there?

Originally I would think the inner arches and underside of the car would have been heavily stone chipped and painted black, I have it stone chipped and painted white which makes it easy to keep and clean underneath it, but I do think it probably adds to the look of sitting higher at the back, plus you see the spare wheel well is more obvious.

I would have, but it was just a quick once round and away. Unfortunately none of the 3-Manta owners were around at the time or would have stopped for a quick chat with yourself and Andy (Baikie). Maybe next time.

Yes, moved up to Orkney (South Ronaldsay) a couple of years ago. You get used to the weather, or so they tell me! 🙂

That's a good point about the underside being white rather than black. I'd be very tempted to give the wheel well a coat of black to hide it.

• Like 1

It’s amazing how a small job grows arm’s and leg’s, I felt after changing the damper’s that there was too much colour combinations going on and the red just clashed with the yellow and blue so I have started to rub down and re paint the brake drums yellow to match and I’ll tackle the front brake callipers at the weekend,

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back old photos from the restoration I am able to read on the set of Black shocks that came with the Manta the word in red text SACHS, wound that have been the original OEM shocks or a replacement set at some point in it’s earlier life? Just trying to figure out if the shocks I’ve just replaced has been the 37 years old originals.

34 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Looking back old photos from the restoration I am able to read on the set of Black shocks that came with the Manta the word in red text SACHS, wound that have been the original OEM shocks or a replacement set at some point in it’s earlier life? Just trying to figure out if the shocks I’ve just replaced has been the 37 years old originals.

From having a trawl through some old posts on here, it appears that the original OEM shocks were Bilstein B4's (gas).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Must look sometime! Original OEM, but would imagine they would change with availability. Early manta, GTE, and later exclusives may have all had different manufacturers, as cars and shock technology progressed. 

They will have been stamped up as GM parts, but obviously they buy in from an OEM supplier. I believe  the later ones where BOGE gas if memory servers me right.

• 1 month later...

I’m taking the opportunity just now while the Manta is garaged over winter to check and replace any perished rubber hoses, a worthwhile exercise by the looks of it,

as can be seen, the fuel hoses are quite badly cracked and there only about 4 years old,

I’m replacing them with this SAEJ30R9 Fuel injection hose 7.6mm

• Like 4

It’s an awkward job to replace the fuel lines above the exhaust manifold but a bit of patience pays off, got these swapped out for new,

as can be seen, the old ones have started to deteriorate as well,

that’s now peace of mind, I’ll check for leaks before I take her out for a run.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I’m taking the opportunity just now while the Manta is garaged over winter to check and replace any perished rubber hoses, a worthwhile exercise by the looks of it,

as can be seen, the fuel hoses are quite badly cracked and there only about 4 years old,

I had that very one burst on me while in France back in 91 when my Manta was 4-years old. Had my local dealer replace all the others on my return to the UK.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1