Mike's Manta.

Mike.

Attended the GVRS Rally at Oldmeldrum today, took home the trophy for 1981 -1990 category,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The Manta is surprising me this year, 2023 has been a great year for shows 👍

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Buckie car show today, weather in the morning was slightly showery but dried up fine in the afternoon. This is the first time this year I have seen another Manta at a show, the i200 is a beautiful motor, the owner moved it so the Manta’s we’re together on the Vauxhall Opel club stand.

First time at Buckie show, it’s a great event, the biggest one I’ve been to yet, plus you get free fish & chips 👍

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered up the filler cap decal from the OMOC club shop, arrived today and fitted, still adding finishing off touches and my restoration has been completed for years, I’m sure there will be something else along the way 😎

• Like 8

I’ve been considering fitting a trim on the bottom of the front bumper for ages, I’ve seen some fitted to Manta’s before and think they look pretty smart, it’s on at the moment with double sided trim tape, don’t want to drill holes and pop In screws as if I don’t like it, it’s an easy undo,

it brings the front bumper down to 200mm from garage floor, exactly the same height as the side skirts.

Edited by Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for the last run in the Manta this year, my wife and I plus our friends in their Commodore B GSE motored up to Kellockbank Coffee shop up at the Glens of Foundland near Huntly. It was a beautiful sunny autumn afternoon, nice and dry roads.
Registered SORN today, that’s it till April 2024, seems ages away.

Had a great 6 months running with the Manta and attending some shows. Covered 3030 miles which is just about average for me.

I do like to keep the salt and grit off the Manta, it helps to keep it clean and less prone to rusting. now begins the storage rituals, cleaning, polishing, CTek battery conditioning, de humidifiers etc 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

Went out for the last run in the Manta this year, my wife and I plus our friends in their Commodore B GSE motored up to Kellockbank Coffee shop up at the Glens of Foundland near Huntly. It was a beautiful sunny autumn afternoon, nice and dry roads.
Registered SORN today, that’s it till April 2024, seems ages away.

Had a great 6 months running with the Manta and attending some shows. Covered 3030 miles which is just about average for me.

I do like to keep the salt and grit off the Manta, it helps to keep it clean and less prone to rusting. now begins the storage rituals, cleaning, polishing, CTek battery conditioning, de humidifiers etc 

Going to keep using mine until the gritters come out 🙂 Which is probably not as often as you get them 🙂

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Another 2 years until I get the free road tax, then I can drive it any time of the year 👍

and no MOT needed 🙂

Also handy if its historic as no charge needed for the old congestion zones!!

• Like 1

the free road tax thing is a good thing but never understood the mot exemption bit.  most classics will be maintained to tip top condition anyway and will fly through an mot without issue or any advisories but there will inevitably some death traps driving around that shouldnt be on the road with clueless drivers that dont know (or care )about the real state of their vehicle.mine are all motd regardless and will continue to be.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

the free road tax thing is a good thing but never understood the mot exemption bit.  most classics will be maintained to tip top condition anyway and will fly through an mot without issue or any advisories but there will inevitably some death traps driving around that shouldnt be on the road with clueless drivers that dont know (or care )about the real state of their vehicle.mine are all motd regardless and will continue to be.

£40 i could spend on an oil change instead 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apart from the usual winter cleaning and polishing the only real maintenance job I have this year is to change the exhaust manifold gasket, I’ve got problems with the gasket de laminating and letting exhaust gasses pass through the middle of it,

The first thing that caught my attention was the noise in the engine bay, upon inspection, here you can see evidence of leaking exhaust gasses marking the side of the head,

This is the gasket removed,

here you can see what I mean by de laminating or split,

can’t remember the make of this gasket but I have ordered up and fitted the Elring ones, they look a lot better of a design, here the new one is now fitted and tested, the Manta now runs a lot quieter in the engine bay,

anyone else had this issue with the silver perforated type exhaust gasket? Won’t be fitting those ones again.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 1

usually the manifold itself is pretty flat although it can sometimes have a lump around the threaded holes .more often the flange on the exhaust itself is slightly bent. nothing that a good file cant solve.!

and this is realy about the actual front pipe fitting rather than manifold-to-head.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve booked in the Manta for its annual service and MOT for April 1st, always with the same mechanic that re built the engine as I know he really looks after it when it’s up at his place and he knows it inside out. All the small jobs have been done over the winter, not that there was much but I’m all prepared now to get her back on the road, just looking for some nice spring days.

Back at the end of September 2023 just before the road tax expired my mechanic advised me to take the Manta up to Ricky Gauld in Huntly, he’s approaching 80 years old and is threatening to retire, he’s got the old school crypton tuner, knows the Bosch LE Jetronic system and how to adjust fuel, air, idle speed etc, he went over the engine and gave it a tune up and some fine adjustments, new spark plugs, adjusted the tappets etc, she was running better than ever on the drive home so I’m keen to get her through the MOT and back driving again.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Sailed through its fifth MOT no problem. It’s as I would expect though, it’s not a daily driver, no salt roads, limited rain, it’s garaged all year, any problems or issues that arise are dealt with as they crop up and because it’s a hobby and interest to me, just like lads that like Golf or football spending on club membership or season tickets you don’t mind spending a little for the enjoyment you get throughout the season, so like many other Manta’s in the club, it’s well looked after. 

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not long now before you can apply for classic car exemption, but then you can still get her mot done just to be on the safe side, lovely car hopefully get mine on the road next year 😍

• Like 1

I’ve already looked into this, the Manta is 40 years old in 2025 but there’s a BUT.

To qualify for free road tax the car needs to be 40 years old before January  2025, but my Manta was registered new in April 1985 so I miss it by 3 months, so the Manta will be 41 years old before I qualify, but when it does it will be a big saving for sure, road tax at the moment is roughly £190 for 6 months or £345 for 12 months. My driving season if weather is good could be from April to early November but at the moment I’m limited to April to September for my 6 months, roll on the free road tax 👍

17 hours ago, Mike. said:

Sailed through its fifth MOT no problem. It’s as I would expect though, it’s not a daily driver, no salt roads, limited rain, it’s garaged all year, any problems or issues that arise are dealt with as they crop up and because it’s a hobby and interest to me, just like lads that like Golf or football spending on club membership or season tickets you don’t mind spending a little for the enjoyment you get throughout the season, so like many other Manta’s in the club, it’s well looked after. 

excellent and im in the same frame of mind . repair everything as and when it happens and a spring check every year ( mine are used all year round thou) and continuing to be mot tested as well even thou not req . every year a straight pass with no advisories since 1986

• Like 1