Monaco blue exclusive coupe restoration

Kevin Abbott

22 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Forgot you even had this on the go...........colour of my first manta, great colour. Silver/ chrome manta graphics look good on this colour.

Q? Do you ever get sick of working on the one brand of car? Ever do anything interesting, and non opel? At this stage you probably have manta nightmares.  

Yep. I have bikes. Trucks. Other cars. Into all sorts, had fords, subarus, evos, bmw, renault 5 GTT. Had alsorts over the years. Just mantas have stuck with me, growing up fixing them as a kid lol. 

Forgot you even had this on the go...........colour of my first manta, great colour. Silver/ chrome manta graphics look good on this colour.

Q? Do you ever get sick of working on the one brand of car? Ever do anything interesting, and non opel? At this stage you probably have manta nightmares.  

Yep. I have bikes. Trucks. Other cars. Into all sorts, had fords, subarus, evos, bmw, renault 5 GTT. Had alsorts over the years. Just mantas have stuck with me, growing up fixing them as a kid lol. 

BIt more progress made today. Pan hard rod painted and fitted, all brake pipes finished off, brake pads fitted, fuel lines fitted, all coolant pipes and breathrs fitted, prop shaft fitted boot lid fitted. Coil fitted, with fresh heat sink paste, rad and cowling fitted, side repeaters fitted and wired up. Still lots of tidying up to do on the wiring and got to re wrap the loom Didn't get time to try to start it. Will try and get a few more hours on it tomorrow.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Looking very smart now it’s going back together. Pictures don’t really do the justice to how many hours you must have into the car just reassembling bits 👍

Yeah lot of hours in it mate, should be worth it in the end though. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Andy is this old stock, take it its not available now? Just intersted, got a few new old stock irmscher back boxes. 

Yes mate was a nos part.

Bit of progress made last few days. Got roof liner out, laid it over top of the roof of another manta, and gave it a light bit of heat with heat gun, to work out some creases from being storage. Made a few repairs to the stitching, gave it a clean, and got it installed to the car. Got all the aluminium trim together, i prepped and repainted it all under a heat lamp. Wiper arms, prepped and painted satin. Also got seat runners out and seat bases, prepped and painted them, and painted the satin black bits on the car that blend into the trim. Hopefully more progress to come tomorrow 

• Like 6

more done today. Got all the satin black trim that I painted yesterday fitted. All sections of each door trim cleaned up and fitted, kick panels fitted, sill tred plates fitted, sunroof seal fitted, rear grab handles fitted, seat belts fitted, seat runners, skid plates, and recaro seat bases in, rear quarter cars in, rear quarter window seals cleaned and fitted, doesn't sound much. But this is one of the most time consuming parts of the build for us, everything has to go on in a particular order, or it all has to come out again 😂 

• Like 7

Again nice done Andy. Know that feeling when working on the GSI, sometimes things have to be done before you do the next stage. 

@Jess: think those inserts are difficult to find, done some looking at different websites. Maybe copying them with plastic tube? Will keep my eyes open for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good Andy, do you know if those plastic inserts that go between the seat frame and the clamps are available new?

Not sure if they are availbe new to be honest. But I have piles of them lol  

50 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Again nice done Andy. Know that feeling when working on the GSI, sometimes things have to be done before you do the next stage. 

@Jess: think those inserts are difficult to find, done some looking at different websites. Maybe copying them with plastic tube? Will keep my eyes open for them.

Thanks herman, there's always those elusive parts that simply vanish in the workshop too, that seem to take an age to find again 😂 

Does anyone know the colour code to the exclusive wheels ? Is it just anthracite  ?

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1

I think finding all the specific bits bolts washers spacers and then finding the plastic bits to cover up all the bits we spent hours fitting is the hardest bit.  Welding is the easy part of restorations.  
I’m enjoying the build again though.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:
13 hours ago, H-400 said:

Thanks herman, there's always those elusive parts that simply vanish in the workshop too, that seem to take an age to find again 😂 

Does anyone know the colour code to the exclusive wheels ? Is it just anthracite  ?

Thought it was 81L but when you search for that it comes up as a black metallic or anthracite. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

I think finding all the specific bits bolts washers spacers and then finding the plastic bits to cover up all the bits we spent hours fitting is the hardest bit.  Welding is the easy part of restorations.  
I’m enjoying the build again though.  

I will give you a month and then ask  if you are enjoying it Ha Ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

How nice is that! I'd imagine you wish that was a keeper for yourselves! Lovely shade of Monaco Blue, looks more blue than some.

Exactly my thoughts, possibly one of the nicest original exclusives about now. Hopefully new owner will be showing it off and I will look forward to see it in the flesh👍

2 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

How nice is that! I'd imagine you wish that was a keeper for yourselves! Lovely shade of Monaco Blue, looks more blue than some.

Yes it's a hard one to let go for sure. Its increased in value over the 2 n half years we been building it aswell so safe investment for the buyer lol

Exactly my thoughts, possibly one of the nicest original exclusives about now. Hopefully new owner will be showing it off and I will look forward to see it in the flesh👍

It really is a nice car jess. Lots of nos and original parts used. You could eat your dinner off the under side too. We went into great detail with this. Mike is getting one of the best exclusive coupes in the country I'd say. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, starmist said:

Will you be putting the decals on?

Yes bought some via the club shop but was a bad batch and was no good, just waiting for the replacements being sent by paul b. They are having issues with the cutting machine. 

Mot passed 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...