Mk1 cav manta 400r build

Manta hatch

It’s about time I did a build thread building this car to use in road rally stage events with the help of my father who is a 30 year manta nut who’s turned me from fwd Astra gtes novas in to opel rwd machines 🙂 

i already have a mk1 cav saloon running national hot rod spec xe and another spare saloon and another spare coupe 🙂 

i have made a good start pics to follow etc 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I got most of the kit fitting before I had the shell blasted the car had been painted and looked straight As a die I could not believe how much filler was in the rear quarters for no reason at all filler straight over the top of the old paint etc but the paint job was very good I think they did it to have a pin straight car which it was but I hate filler so it has all been bare metalled 

• Like 5

Car has now been blasted and on roll over spit to stitch weld add link boxes for axle a few extra gussets here and there I want it to be able to take them back roads flat out with out twisting etc 

i am stuck on engine I have many xe engines I have carbs, jenveys, slide bodies etc  but I have C20let in my Astra gte and it seriously moves running around 300+ hp 

i have all the parts to build another c20let our 2 🙂 but some of the road rally events won’t allow turbocharged engine so I am stuck I would really like to get frontera block and cut 24v head would be interested in any info people have on building a 2.4 16v cih 

car is going to have big tunnel fitted I have an abundance of 1.8 boxes but they are shit I have done 3 in 2 years with 240hp+ xe bolted to them    So I have got my self an r25 cable box and a r 28 hydro box 

have also been looking at rx8 boxes and Sierra Cosworth 2wd box just have made up my mind yet on the plus side I brought a spoiler of a member which is very good only to find I have a genuine 400 thinner type spoiler already in the unit plus another exclusive one 

it’s genuine twin lights I am after !!!

also peoples thoughts of rear end I have exclusive bumper and standard gte carnt make my mind up there  this is were it’s at now many photos etc to come I want to try and have it done for summer but we will see 🙂

You may see many old Vauxhall’s Opels on my pics I think me and the father have an obsession 🙂 

• Like 6

BRILLIANT John. I.m thinking who would want to go anywhere sightseeing when everything of real interest is in your workshop, I just can't wait to see what replies you will get from the lads when they see this lot!! Let's have some more pictures mate.

Nice looking build and an excellent shell to start with by the looks.

One question though, you say road rally/stage events. But you can't run an arched car on road rallys (unless they have seriously changed the rules in the last few years since i stopped doing them.

Unless you mean the new closed road stage rallies, which shouldn't stop you running a LET (although you would need a resitrictor). Personaly if you have the availability i would run an XE on throttle bodies, should give you plenty of power in a manta with a little tweaking and you have spares if the worse happens.

For info on the 16v head for the CIH look at risse-motorsport.de but be warned it is nothing like a cheap option. Its also a lot heavier than the XE

The RX8 boxes are very strong and easily available and fit with the use of an adaptor plate. However the gear lever is around 4" further back than on the manta box. I'm fitting one in my project but i am sat virtually on the floor and a long way back anyway so it will fall nicely for me.

Got a few friends that has done the rebuild. Power is compareble as the "400" head. Is still a tough project to do, one of the headbolts of the 24V has got another lokation than the 4 cilinder block. This is an example of such a shortened 24 head, the owner wanted to copy a "400" engine and did even copy the front-covers of the camshafts and the valve-cover:

He build an exact copy of the original Kadett-400

Edited by H-400
  • Like 2

Yes unit is my fathers and yes it is full of manta cavalier goodies 😁 (will get you some more pics more cavs manta next door and outside 👌)

car is for closed road stage rallies and road use to show the local Mk2 boys how to go on around these back lanes .....

engine I cannot decide I built a c20xe  

87mm omega slippers

steel rods 

skimmed early lightweight crank to make even lighter 🙂 

opened ports valves ground 30 45 

anderson race engine 085 race camshafts 

sbd steel pump gears  cosmetic gasket etc etc etc 

running Jenvey 45 s MBe mapped at ap race engines it’s putting out just shy of 250hp fitted in my mk1 cavalier saloon with zf slip diff 9k rpm limit and it’s fast but I feel the manta is going to need more 🙂  hence me thinking c20let  as my Mk2 Astra is scary fast running c20let at 300hp but I do think that manta would be a hand full as it come on boost others opinions with a let in manta would be good I found standard xe with cams and 45s in cavalier to go very well . I do have a few valvers I have more of an addiction to the engines than the cars I think .....

will get more pics for you all 2 see had a couple hours Saturday started on the metal work not to much more redoing what previous owner had done it looks like the pigeons were welding 😭 and I want to add floor reinforcements no spare wheel well etc like the genuine 400s were 

More pics this week 

• Like 2

Tried an c20 let, a bit scarey, especially on back roads, cant drive it hard as you are timing whats in front of you before the boost kicks in, it kinda holds you back, and you are also thinking, i should have nailed it there, i shouldnt have nailed it there.........

Think you have hit the nail on the head, 45s xe, fast cams, a few sensible mods, maybe a stronger box, type9 ford, or omega. Seen a project with fwd xe box plated and using a bmw box.Stronger back axle! Maybe

Looks like a good shell, can you weld a cage in solid?  Work looks solid, have fun!

• Like 1