berlinetta coupe rebuild/modify

stumpy

this one is a clarke 160  a tip i got given was to put a cable tie around the handle at the front or the over hang of the steel at the front to stop the wire feed cable hanging down where it comes out the front of the machine

got home from work today to a huuuuuge parcel and another 3 from somewhere else  err indoors is not happy i turned the front room into  santas grotto after xmas.....the two quarters i bought cut from another shell not to   worried about the dinks as ime pretty sure they will come right with a little work and when i trim them down can get access to both sides of the panel and with the scarcity of these panels and at £80 the pair  ime happy with them

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 3

yes has to be worth every cent hopefully i wont ever need them but  i do like to collect panels/parts on a just in case basis and when price is right if i dont use them no doubt some years down the line they will get passed to another manta enthusiast between these quarters and  the brand new old stock front wings  owes me £200 quid

4 minutes ago, stumpy said:

yes has to be worth every cent hopefully i wont ever need them but  i do like to collect panels/parts on a just in case basis and when price is right if i dont use them no doubt some years down the line they will get passed to another manta enthusiast between these quarters and  the brand new old stock front wings  owes me £200 quid

Collect what you can 😁

On 21/01/2021 at 19:38, stumpy said:

got to love a bit of weld spatter down the lugole  [ouch] then did it again 20 min later  no pics of work as yet purists arent goin to like the next bit

Big ouch, I can feel that one myself. I assume that you were upside down when this happened?

Forgot to mention, I use one of those welding hat/bandana type of things - like this random one from Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELDAS-Fire-Fox-Black-Flame-Retardant-Protective-Welding-Bandana-HIGH-QUALITY/253288718680?hash=item3af92f2158:g:6o4AAOSwehZaIVIF

I then make sure it mostly covers my ears too. You can still hear the noise of the weld, but it stops the majority of spatter getting in your hair, ears etc. I also wear it when I am grinding too for the same reasons.

Hope that helps.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

yes upside down head under a wheel arch also when doing  the rear anti rollbar main mount on top of the axle....... a sort of box section tower in this case was previously repaired by a garage and ...told stronger than new now mate...well all the welds correction the rusty steel around the welds had broken and it wasnt for the rollbar being bolted to it woud be dissapeared never to be seen again xxx

i will get one of those  Ian thanks for that well worth a try...
and the best  bit is with my beard and shaven head  i would look like one of the black widows from any wich way but lose pmsl  

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, stumpy said:

i will get one to try ian thanks for that well worth a try
and the best  bit is with my beard and shaven head  i would look like one of the black widows from any wich way but lose pmsl  

Occasionally I use those squidgy foam ear plugs too, that make things even better.  :thumbup

• Like 1

so had a couple of hours today spare chopped out both front floors
chassis rails are solid enough to keep everything in shape and so are the front jacking points but obviously will need replacing  lacey but strong enought to hold things in shape 
    does appear to be some suspicious looking bodges with filler/fibreglass coveringbadly welded patches rust left in just a plate slapped over the top  ... then  did an hour setting the carbs up on my bike

back at it again this morning all the black on the inner sills and bulkehead to floor join both sides are bodges and shite Mot plates 3 deep  some of them   the car was  tarted up to sell i think as there is eveidence of filler in the rear quarters as well and it has had a flash over at some point

PURISTS LOOK AWAY NOW YOUR NOT GOING TO LIKE THE NEXT BIT  

Edited by stumpy

On 23/01/2021 at 19:13, stumpy said:

Proper bargain find!!! 

• Like 1

did a couple of hours this morning.
had to drop the tunnel below the level on the  top of the chassis rails/floor height in order for the front to get under the shelf at the front edge

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

20mm box between the rails  in temporary just to make it easier to handle and support in position the tunnels as its awkward and a lil weighty to hang on clamps

Edited by stumpy

2 minutes ago, stumpy said:

i knew needed a lot of work but its rustier than i thought so dont feel so bad for butchering her now  Jess

Probably wound not have been saved otherwise, so it's a positive. It also helps that your panels are very tidy. Looking good

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1