"400" repair

H-400

Seems you can read my mind, I always wanted to keep my engine "Oldscool" and wanted as you wrote to open the internal AFM. But I'v got another problem: An our ago I checked with the help of my Son the compression of my engine. Had some months more pressure in my catch-tank and thought it were the oil stem seals. After checking the compression the cilinder nr. 2 had only 6,5bar. The other ones have all 13,5bar as some years ago. The engine runs nice, no bleu smoke but I'v got to check this. Next thing to do is checking the valve clearance, not that simple as on a CIH engine but I'v got the gaskets you need to do this laying on the shelf. 

I will keep you all posted, stay safe,

Herman.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Seems you can read my mind, I always wanted to keep my engine "Oldscool" and wanted as you wrote to open the internal AFM. But I'v got another problem: An our ago I checked with the help of my Son the compression of my engine. Had some months more pressure in my catch-tank and thought it were the oil stem seals. After checking the compression the cilinder nr. 2 had only 6,5bar. The other ones have all 13,5bar as some years ago. The engine runs nice, no bleu smoke but I'v got to check this. Next thing to do is checking the valve clearance, not that simple as on a CIH engine but I'v got the gaskets you need to do this laying on the shelf. 

I will keep you all posted, stay safe,

Herman.

Oh dear, that does not look great cylinder reading, let's hope it's nothing too serious 😬

Well Jess in all the dissapointment I forgot to take the "wet" compression, to check the piston-rings... It really gets under my skin. The engine/car has got 110.000km's and was always owned by petrol heads. Had always a good oil-pressure and the best oil and together with it a new filter. After I bought the car in 2005 I fitted a temp. controlled oil cooler and the oil pump is one of Risse. The one with the big gears and the diesel bottom plate.  I know I took the car on "track days" but never thought it would end this way.  On the other side the engine is still stock so the crankshaft can have a lot but the pistons are still the Mahle ones. Time to install the better stuff.

My wife noticed it when I entered the kitchen, got to open this engine... The GSI will go in winter-hibernation and the "400" stays at home. And I have a lot of work on other projects but the knee says I can do the "400"... Sorry kitchen, and the truck needs also some work, but this one goes first...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Well Jess in all the dissapointment I forgot to take the "wet" compression, to check the piston-rings... It really gets under my skin. The engine/car has got 110.000km's and was always owned by petrol heads. Had always a good oil-pressure and the best oil and together with it a new filter. After I bought the car in 2005 I fitted a temp. controlled oil cooler and the oil pump is one of Risse. The one with the big gears and the diesel bottom plate.  I know I took the car on "track days" but never thought it would end this way.  On the other side the engine is still stock so the crankshaft can have a lot but the pistons are still the Mahle ones. Time to install the better stuff.

My wife noticed it when I entered the kitchen, got to open this engine... The GSI will go in winter-hibernation and the "400" stays at home. And I have a lot of work on other projects but the knee says I can do the "400"... Sorry kitchen, and the truck needs also some work, but this one goes first...

Priorities 😁

Checked the "wet compression", and it doesn't look good😟. With oil 9bar, so the pistonrings are worn. And the most engines I open with that problem need to bored & honed to the next oversize. First opening the engine, so engine goes out this winter. It needed also new oilseals on the cranck...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Checked the "wet compression", and it doesn't look good😟. With oil 9bar, so the pistonrings are worn. And the most engines I open with that problem need to bored & honed to the next oversize. First opening the engine, so engine goes out this winter. It needed also new oilseals on the cranck...

As it ever had a rebuild Herman?

5 minutes ago, H-400 said:

No Jess, I fitted once a new sump-gasket a few years ago. The former owners had always  detailed info about what was done on the car. 

👍 Hope you  just get away with a hone and new rings . You think it is Possibly a bit of over fuelling on that cylinder has washed the bore?

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, H-400 said:

Watching with interested Herman.... Excellent write up as always.

Thanks Kelvin,  with some pain in my heart I brought the GSI to the winter storage. Belgium is yet in a "lockdown-light", the rainy days are comming but the biggest problem is space. So with the work that has got to be done on the "400" the GSI has got to move😟.

Had some time over to check the feul pressure, and was surprised. The Mercedes feul pressure regulator (adjustable) gave 2,8 bar. That is less than the original stock one that gives 3bar and is safer cause the vacuum pulls the pressure lower at idle. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

So why did they fitted that FPR? Maybe the former owner knew how much turns to give the FPR before he went for a track day? When I bought the car the original parts were with it, but where did I lay that original FPR? 

• 2 weeks later...

Some parts were delivered today. Can use them on both Manta's. If I see something for sale on internet that is too cheap to let go I buy it.

Original oem engine mounts and a CIH gasket set, always handy to have:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by H-400
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Done some things on the "400", the gearbox is out. Did this cause that gearbox is rather heavy and to take it out with engine you need to be carefull not to damage any parts of the car. Taking the gearbox out is only removing the propshaft and some screws:

And some things from above, the gear stick and centre console.

The "262 Getrag" is out, 

A look from the inside, I will remove the clutch house when the engine is out of the car. Learned from the first time I did this! 

Grts, Herman

• Like 3

Hi Jess, sorry didn't take any measurements. Showed the young guy's how to repair a bike tire and other things. But I took some pics that I hope they can help you. Don't look at the mess on my workbench: 

Took this pic so you can see the bracket where the gearstick is in stands on a silent block and the front is bolted also in silent blocks:

Disassambled the whole and took a pic of it:

Tried to fix a standard GT/E 5-speed bracket on it with the gear lever, the gear lever's bottom fits as a glove on the fork of the gearbox. Think with some welding and grinding you can make this working:

Will make the measurments,

Grts, Herman

Edited by H-400
  • Thanks 1

Herman, that's excellent , thank you so much. I have a spare std gear-lever and bracket as it happens so yes I could deffinitely mod that. Can you check the height of this in comparison to the std 262 in your measurements please?

Think if it's within 10mm then that us the solution. 😎

Off to look at the speedo sender tomorrow too, so will get those other pics we spoke about.

Have a nice evening 🍻

Some pics with basic measurements, because it looks sometimes different on the picture I'll mention them:

Gear in neutral, from the casing to the centre of the hole (of the fork):105mm

Total length 205mm

Width:77mm

Total height :95mm

If I look from above the hole in the fork is in the centre of the gearstick hole, another pic:

Began with the engine, and the feul lines had to be disconnected so I tested the feulpressure of the FPR of my old Datsun Sylvia. Gives a nice 3,2bar, better than the one that is in yet. And this one has got a vacuum connection.

@Jess: If you need more info, just let me know. Have all a nice Sunday

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1