84 Manta GTE

TJ101

Just acquired this one

One Owner from new, showing 40,800 miles, Last taxed 2002, and dry stored since then

Will be given it a good look over, then decide whether to

1 Sell as is, ? 

2 Get it up running/Mot but then leave as it is, then sell

3 Mot and running, and keep it a while, just as it is

4 Complete restore 

Guess it all down to what i find ?? 

Her resting place for the last 19/20 years

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Now to make a start ? see what we have 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 6

Had a hour this morning

Drain most of the fuel, 25lts of fresh added, Full battery, and pulled the king lead, and spun over, Plugs out, clean up and refitted, king back on, and see fires into life

Now starts and drives :)

Underside all very good, not sign of rust in floor, sills, inner wings/bulkhead etc

Edited by TJ101
  • Like 5

Indeed, a Manta that needs no welding on the swan necks!  Would go for new tyres, after 20 years... Lost once the tread of a tyre on the highway because they were old. Thought I lost my rear axle! 

Enjoy the car👍

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Indeed, a Manta that needs no welding on the swan necks!  

OK, Swan Necks ? Can someone enlighten me ? :) 

Yep, a new set of 5 branded tyres are top of the list  Not sure what were OE fit ?? 

Oil and filter change should have happened before you started it really. 

I'm not picking holes it's great it starts but the oil will be horrible so get it out as fast as possible, stick some cheap oil in (of the correct grade) along with a flush, then run it for a bit and dump it all out again. 

Then put nice oil in and another new filter. 

Change that in a few hundred miles. 

Hopefully the oil ways won't have clogged up with tarry old oil and already be starving the bearings and cam. 

Cracking car by the way!  No sunroof!  My favourite. 

47 minutes ago, TJ101 said:

OK, Swan Necks ? Can someone enlighten me ? :) 

Yep, a new set of 5 branded tyres are top of the list  Not sure what were OE fit ?? 

The chassis rails that run from the engine bay, down the bulkhead and under the floor. They are prone to serious corrosion around the bolt holes for the front crossmember.

Thanks,, Did a search and found out :)   

Need to be a Click to become an OMOC Member. to see your picture mind ! 

Did have a good "Tap" all round, seams very solid ,, Next job is a dam good clean,, 

47 minutes ago, paulmanta said:

Oil and filter change should have happened before you started it really. 

I'm not picking holes it's great it starts but the oil will be horrible so get it out as fast as possible, stick some cheap oil in (of the correct grade) along with a flush, then run it for a bit and dump it all out again. 

Yes Paul, Oil & a couple of filters ordered, for just the reason you mention, and why the king lead was pulled to crank over first

Open to any comments/advise, good or bad ;) 

Best tyres I used at 195/60/14 was some Falken motorsport tyres. Had a very squared off shoulder so the contact area was like a 205 and they was sticky. Can't remember the type as it was back in the 90's but for a 195 tyre they was superb at grip.

obviously tyre technology has improved since then so wonder what is a good standard size tyre now, poss Avon?

I have Ditchfinders on the Cavalier - they are round'ish and Black'ish with some funny squiggly lines around them.

I'm too scared to try them in the wet in case they live up to their name. I'll get my coat...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

I have Ditchfinders on the Cavalier - they are round'ish and Black'ish with some funny squiggly lines around them.

I'm too scared to try them in the wet in case they live up to their name. I'll get my coat...

Ditch finders lol

Nanyang NS2 are good rubber, got them after Zi read some track reviews on a couple of my daily cars in the past.

BTW I have used https://www.camskill.co.uk for years, and get local tyre company to fit for me. Never had an issue with getting rubber delivered direct to the tyre shop, they just call me when they arrive. Depending on size of tyre expect £10 to £15 each.

On 08/01/2021 at 22:24, TJ101 said:

Just acquired this one

One Owner from new, showing 40,800 miles, Last taxed 2002, and dry stored since then

Will be given it a good look over, then decide whether to

1 Sell as is, ? 

2 Get it up running/Mot but then leave as it is, then sell

3 Mot and running, and keep it a while, just as it is

4 Complete restore 

Guess it all down to what i find ?? 

Her resting place for the last 19/20 years

Now to make a start ? see what we have 

I Noticed on Facebook you are still considering what to do with it. As was mentioned, get it MOT'd, take lots of photos of the known trouble spots, and post them up.

If it's as solid as you reckon it is, and given the exterior paintwork & interior looks very tidy, £7500 could be a good ballpark figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry gentlemen , been a tad busy, and not had a lot of time to look here, or even at the Manta,

Yes Martin, though i would ask a few question there as well :)   

Recon i will slowly do what's needed for the Mot,plus a bit more to interim preserve then if we are allowed out, used it a bit in spring time  

Set of tyres, hopefully something period branded , Pirelli, Goodyear, ? What did they fit from the factory ? 

Fluids (Brake, Box and Diff, Coolant etc)