Boot hinge removal

hoobby

Today I thought I'll take the manta for a run into work so quick wash and micro clothed the nearside boot spoiler nearly fell off...bugger!.

IMG_20210529_130821.thumb.jpg.6c34c6f6e56832eee5094ae69073c628.jpg

Two studs rotted away the third is in a bad way...no problem just remove the other side doesn't look too bad I thought so into work we go put my bag in the boot went to shut it...b:(ll:(cks

IMG_20210529_190448.thumb.jpg.247ccec3425ce720f66a2905f5745164.jpg

Just walked away from it before something else broke can't find any info on how to remove the hinge without tearing my face off  so I can get it welded up.

Very pi**ed off from Braintree

Edited by hoobby
Face
  • Sad 1

Now I have had a good look at it there's distortion further down from the break 

IMG_20210529_195520.thumb.jpg.4c38f16863a3b646a9975e5b377137e9.jpg

Think your right Steve will replace if I can find one meantime I'll get this one straightened up and welded the switch is missing too I guess it broke when this event happened.

Ok torsion rod now removed really not looking forward to refitting it but can't get the hinge off the bracket there's what looks like a plastic bush/insert do I !ever the hinge out of that or push the whole lot out together ?.

IMG_20210530_123222.thumb.jpg.6e5fbc9ed6701251b73203ba8770c98e.jpg

Not plastic but metal like a splayed rivet the other end takes a Allen key but spins the rivet which I can't get hold off I'm beginning to think its press fitted to the bracket?.

Edited by hoobby

Its a rivet of sorts. You have to grind the flared head off (the bit in your photo) then it will pull out. I replaced it with a bolt/locknut and a bush of the right size so it was all tight but free to pivot. Its the same as the bonnet hinge fixings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mantasrme said:

Its a rivet of sorts. You have to grind the flared head off (the bit in your photo) then it will pull out. I replaced it with a bolt/locknut and a bush of the right size so it was all tight but free to pivot. Its the same as the bonnet hinge fixings.

I thought it would be something like that any  method on refitting the torsion rod Haynes fail to mention how to get it back on did have a go  at it  but thinking probably safer as a two man job? 

Good luck with this as I tried to re-fit one of mine I while ago and gave up in the end. Maybe easier with the hinge off and fitting the torsion bar then manipulating the hinge into position. 
I look forward to the solution. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 13:07, Mickfrad said:

Good luck with this as I tried to re-fit one of mine I while ago and gave up in the end. Maybe easier with the hinge off and fitting the torsion bar then manipulating the hinge into position. 
I look forward to the solution. 

Well it's back on and to be honest really don't want to do that again ever.

Wear thick gloves and eye protection and don't ever put your hand behind or underneath this once under tension.

I fitted the bar into the hinge then rotated the bar by hand and stuck a piece of wood from the boot floor to hold this will give you the room and time to fit stilsons 

IMG_20210613_165300.thumb.jpg.4f9975ed50b5415bc86510b26001c1cb.jpg

The hole this end goes into has a lip so hold a paint scraper over it and rotate bar till on the scraper over the hole then wiggle the scraper out.

Just be very careful there is a huge amount of energy in that rod once rotated 

Edited by hoobby
  • Thanks 2

Thanks hoobby 

I’ll wait and see how heavy my boot lid is once the spoilers refitted.

I removed mine as it was lifting the front left corner of the boot, I put this down to the exclusive spoiler having been replaced with the lighter smaller spoiler. 

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

at least the torsion rod idea always works.not like the struts on hatches which always go weak.especially if you have a spoiler or wiper ! mine has 2 struts on 1 side to help it stay up !

Rover 200 has struts virtually the same size as the hatch and they are a lot stronger. Thats what i have on mine and the tailgate is never going to drop with them on.

15 hours ago, Mickfrad said:

I removed mine as it was lifting the front left corner of the boot,

IMG_20210614_123321.thumb.jpg.0363169b31a259a5910e0fe41ae6ce5d.jpg

Boot now fitted and something's not right here either the hinge is different or I have the torsion rod fitted incorrectly can someone see how these to overlap think it should be under the o/s one?

IMG_20210614_123655.thumb.jpg.cff03525bc65998f2b0592b21ad1a940.jpg

With torsion rod removed

IMG_20210614_130542.thumb.jpg.9ac1d058a4d24eceb242b53a5a12dec9.jpg

IMG_20210614_130553.thumb.jpg.623de9aede69be93da480417168f86af.jpg

Exclusive hinge different to normal coupe thought they would be exactly the same?.

Edited by hoobby
Rod removed

Torsion bar looks right but that’s exactly what mine was doing, and it had the original hinges. 

I wondered if my hinge had gotten bent possibly on the spare at some point. Which would mean you could have unfortunately fitted a slightly bent one. 

Edited by Mickfrad

Pic of replacement hinge and original (bottom) this is with the boot attachment end level and square.

IMG_20210613_105822.thumb.jpg.a046c1569ddeaddaf1be2c92ca65d10d.jpg

And Old hinge 

IMG_20210614_160621.thumb.jpg.86f27c854bdcc26a758be0b8117d517a.jpg

Both hinges with pivot hole lined up and boot end parallel.

IMG_20210614_170934.thumb.jpg.9f403d0db7c5f2df798247a77bfcf917.jpg

The way I see it the new hinge will hold the boot higher hence the aliment issue going to get old bracket welded up and if it fits correctly will replicate on replacement without the distortion well that's the plan.

Edited by hoobby
New pic

just read this .

are we saying that this is a coupe issue ?   personally ive only ever had 2 coupes but numerous saloons with the same arrangement and never ever seen this issue .the saloon hinges can be shimmed for perfect alignment if needs be but usually only a washer required on 1 bolt to make level. 

regarding a coupe thou if the boot is shut i cannot see how this is happenning unless the actual arm is flexing with the torsion rod trying to lift the rear even when its shut. ?  if this is the case then the arms must be weaker or different in some way to a saloon version and there must be a fix/ mod. maybee reinforcing the arm with a plate along its full length making it into a box section .?

• Like 1

I had a good look at the n/s hinge(torsion rods fitted) as I began to push the boot down it bends and distorts quite a bit in time this will open the bent enough so the boot attachment end changes its angle till the back of the boot hits the rear boot panel first causing the front to stay higher also as the boot moves down the rod gets twisted even  more so when boot is down the bracket may open up enough to cause a gap. once I'm happy with the aliment will remove bracket and as cam.in.head suggests will have it reinforced if you have an exclusive with both rods fitted have a look at this it's scary stuff.

Old hinge now repaired will fit at the weekend.

IMG_20210615_060151.thumb.jpg.af0c1e75109c930ebf77fb46e0b1fa8b.jpg

IMG_20210615_060200.thumb.jpg.18a8034d5f059b25b638e616a7abd8a0.jpg

Edited by hoobby

Interested in this topic too, I have a 87 Exclusive coupe, with the Irmscher rear spoiler. Since I got the car (1999) the boot only ever had one torsion bar (driver side) and never stayed up on its own. I recently got a second torsion bar, fitted it as per your photo Hooby, kinda criss-crossing each other, and had the exact same issue, that window side corner of the boot about 2" out of alignment (think it was a little higher than your photo). Mucked about with the boot lid for ages (with both torsion bars in place on the hinges), couldn't get it to sit anywhere near right. Gave up, removed the second torsion bar, went back to cut off broom handle in the boot.

And you are right, scary putting the torsion bar back on / taking back off, I used two sets of vice-grip pliers to get the twist.

6 hours ago, scottboyd said:

scary putting the torsion bar back on

The method I used is very manageable it did slip out a couple of times but as stilsons are so heavy not much happens to them unlike say a lighter tool like a large screwdriver there is a potential for a horrible accident  and being called Cyclops for the rest of your life I know a mechanic who was trying to remove a windscreen seal from a mini with a screwdriver you can image the rest  again please respect doing this job think it through.

• Haha 1