why is this engine so heavy?

execman

hi, 

around the middle of March last year I bought an XE coilpack type engine off Ebay, as a backup, but when it was dropped off to me it was ridiculously heavy; ie it took 4 men to lift it off the van and to my mate's garage as it was so heavy.  question: why is this standard GM Coscast engine so ridiculously heavy? I thought the Redtop engine was mainly aluminium as opposed to the cast iron CIH so I assumed I could lift it on my own-imagine my shock when I tried to lift it!! it manually turns over via a socket on the crank pulley nut which is a good sign, but its lain untouched up till now.

it will be pulled out and inspected once the weather gets warmer.

any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

it was on a pallet and dropped off to my front yard by the courier; I'm a 62 year old man, and reasonably fit, so was shocked to find I couldn't move it on my own, so had to call in reinforcements. the engine is complete minus the top hat airbox.

hey were all  not as young as we used to be !

back in the day me and my then girlfriend could easily lift a complete engine out ( one lift to the front panel on top of floor mats ,then  climb out and lift down to floor.  not tried that recently thou and im on my way up to 60 !

i've given the engine to one of my best mates who needs it for his Manta, which has been off the road for some time due to the lack of a redtop engine. advised him to to buy a heavy duty engine support stand off Ebay when he's ready to work on the engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

hey were all  not as young as we used to be !

back in the day me and my then girlfriend could easily lift a complete engine out ( one lift to the front panel on top of floor mats ,then  climb out and lift down to floor.  not tried that recently thou and im on my way up to 60 !

I’m 63 and had a wake up call trying to move a double bed an mattress up the stairs. Would have been a piece of cake 10 years ago but now I really struggled!

• Like 1

As Jess says it’s only the head that’s aluminium, and it’s quite a big lump. The XE head is about 17kg with cams and valve gear, a 2.4 CIH is 31kg(just weighed each, although the bathroom scales are not traceable to national standards🤔)

I always had it I’m my mind the XE built up installed was about 30-40kg lighter than a CIH

That said my teenage son and I lifted the XE onto the engine stand ok (minus ancillaries) but he does eat Shreaded Wheat rather than Weetabix😊

Edited by Moonmonkey
Spelling

33 minutes ago, Moonmonkey said:

As Jess says it’s only the head that’s aluminium, and it’s quite a big lump. The XE head is about 17kg with cams and valve gear, a 2.4 CIH is 31kg(just weighed each, although the bathroom scales are not traceable to national standards🤔)

I always had it I’m my mind the XE built up installed was about 30-40kg lighter than a CIH

That said my teenage son and I lifted the XE onto the engine stand ok (minus ancillaries) but he does eat Shreaded Wheat rather than Weetabix😊

Yeah, your about right with it been lighter than the boat anchor of CIH 😂 and 30kg would be about right as iirc it’s 220kg for the CIH 

I'm sure health and safety would have something to say about logging an engine about now a days, remember lift from your knees 🤣🤣🤣, back straight 🤔

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully I will be well past engine lifting at 60 odd, think at that age I will be director of operations, and let the young fellas show me how its done 🙃

Edited by ®evo03
  • Haha 1

100% not the engines fault. we as humans were not designed to lift that kind of weight. Don’t get me started on how a CIH landed me in hospital. The back pain was that kind of pain I’d never experienced before, and thus made me immune to any pain afterwards….. hardens you up! But needless to say, I don’t lift anything heavy now. My XE was a lot lighter than a CIH but still need a good engine crane to move them about! 

I've lifted a few engines about in my time and like Sutty, the CIH is probably the one that has given me the most trouble. The XE and related SOHC engine are not so bad - and at least lifting the head off them is a doddle compared to the CIH.

Not so long along I bought a complete CIH home in the back of the Tiguan and thought I would be okay lifting it out of the back and onto the floor - sure I've done this loads of times in the past. Turns out the 50 year old me cant do things that the 25 year old me could do......a gentle life lesson there. I did it but it wasn't as easy as I remember. I don't mess about now and get the Engine hoist out, even for short motors. Back injuries are the worst and the older you get, the longer it takes to get over them (and you never really get back to normal again).

I lifted a washer/dryer that was seriously heavy a while back when I was helping someone move house and it was actually my left knee that gave out, not my back and I am still suffering from that 10 years later, so lesson learnt......don't offer to help people move house! 🙂 and remember....none of us are getting any younger (voice of my mum in my ears there).

• Like 3

thanks for all the input on this guys; the XE block being cast iron would go some way to explain it, but I remember me and my best mate carrying his 2.2 CIH from outside off his house to his front door many many years ago, and it dont recall it being as heavy; must be an age thing I guess.

after all that I hope the engine is in reasonable shape once the head has been removed for inspection. I bought it from vauxpartsukltd in Gravesend Kent; does anyone have personal experience of them?

• Like 1