‘78 Coupe

Unbelievable find.

Ultra low mileage of 12500 miles

Recommissioned & with a fresh MOT it could be worth £15-20K

Last Manta SR berlinetta sold recently in that range

If the engine is not seized & in its present condition it has to be worth £10K at least.

• Like 3

Yes, I noticed the Vinyl scuttle panel too - quite odd and makes you wonder what's going on under there!

That aside, it looks like an amazing car, certainly a proper survivor. Just goes to show that these cars are still out there lurking in garages around Europe!

• Like 4

I didn't think black was an available colour on that age of Manta. 

I'd want to see some decent evidence that it's only done 12000 miles as well.

Edit - just found a 1979 colour chart that lists black as an extra cost special order, so it could well be the factory colour on this 78 car.

Edited by 1900SR
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 1900SR said:

I didn't think black was an available colour on that age of Manta. 

I'd want to see some decent evidence that it's only done 12000 miles as well.

Edit - just found a 1979 colour chart that lists black as an extra cost special order, so it could well be the factory colour on this 78 car.

Well Done on wanting some evidence, did you buy, guessing yes, why else. 🤣

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Well Done on wanting some evidence, did you buy, guessing yes, why else. 🤣

I'd want to, or to put it more formally I would want to, so no I haven't bought it but if I was interested I would want some evidence of it's low miles given that Manta speedos don't register the hundreds of thousands. The fact that it was last taxed in 1989 means that it had done it's mileage in 21 years, and while it is possible that it did cover less than 1000 miles a year it would not be usual. Still, caveat emptor as they say.

• Like 1

Misread, thought you asked for evidence. 

Just outa interest what kinda evidence would you need, maybe worth while going having a look, as it is very possible. More possible that not. 

I've seen things included with a manta, that I've never seen or maybe no one else has. Maybe removed by dealer before purchase. 

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Just outa interest what kinda evidence would you need, maybe worth while going having a look, as it is very possible. More possible that not. 

I've seen things included with a manta, that I've never seen or maybe no one else has. Maybe removed by dealer before purchase. 

A locally (to the owner) stamped dealer service book (invoices would be nicer), MOT certificates showing mileage trend.  Back story from the original owner about why so few miles. Pedal rubbers, seat bolsters, parts that wear, wearing accordingly.  Cleanliness if it’s not been used, dealer plates matching the window stickers and maybe even period supplemental window stickers.   Mines fortunately got all these and it drives and feels like a four year old car, not ones that’s been rebuilt / polly bushed. 

• Like 1

We were talking to the original Owner of this car back at the NEC a few years ago before he sadly passed away, so we have anecdotal evidence that this car is genuine....although we didn't actually see it in the metal. The owner seemed genuine enough and as he wasn't trying to sell the car at the time, we had no reason to doubt him at all. Personally, I would say that this is a genuine mileage and a genuine story as it checks out with what we know.

I hadn't put 2=2 together but talking to Simon the other night, he reminded me about our conversation with him and we both had a eureka moment and realised "it was THAT car".  Simon remembers the old boy saying that he didn't used to let anyone else close the doors on the car, in case they slammed them too hard and he never took the car out in the wet....he was the definition of "One Careful Owner".

As Steve posted, Black was a special order colour in 1978, so there cant be many about. As we know, that era of Manta B is probably one of the best built Mantas you can buy, so it would be an amazing project car. It looks as though the auction was ended early, so presume someone has bought it out side of ebay. Hope it turns up in the club - it probably wouldn't be too much of an effort to get it on the road before Sywell!

• Like 6