Fuel pipe advice needed please

IanMc

Hi Guys,

I hope that you are all keeping well and enjoying your cars?

After many, many months of inactivity I need to do some work on my Cav Coupe... Long story short, we hope to move house in the months ahead, but judging by the stink in and around the car, the fuel lines are shot - presumably from the modern fuel and the old (porous) fuel lines. The new house, should only be about 30-40 miles away, but I just don't want to risk driving it as it is.

So, can anyone please tell me what I need to order and how much in terms of length?

This will at least allow me to keep the fuel that I buy in the car, rather than it evaporate to atmosphere through dodgy fuel lines, and that's not even considering the safety implications.

Sincere thanks in advance for your help.

Ian 

hi ian.hope all is well.

funny you should mention it.    i dont intend to use any fuel with ethanol in it if i can help it but have just changed all my hoses to cope just in case ! on both my cavs and carlton.

i personally have used cohline2240 R9 rated. 8mm.not cheap at £16 a metre on ebay but 1 metre will easily do a std cav with a carb.but ive also used some R9 rated codan on anothercar too. all personal preference.

DO not be tempted to buy any unbranded stuff even if it says ' fuel injection hose R9' because you just dont know what you are buying possibly worth doing the  breathers too just to be sure as well .(6mm i think but check ?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

but 1 metre will easily do a std cav with a carb.

Hi Chris,

I'm guessing that should be 10M not 1M, to go from the back to the front?

Edited by IanMc

Don't forget the thin lines on top of the feul tank, I had the same problem as you but had already changed my 8mm feul lines with ethanol proof ones. Noticed the thin lines were perished where they were fitted on the thin elbow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Npoe

5 hours ago, IanMc said:

Hi Chris,

I'm guessing that should be 10M not 1M, to go from the back to the front?

Nope, couple of metres is probably enough. Unless it's all been changed to rubber in the past the flexi hose will be joined to solid pipe under the back end of the car somewhere and another short flexi section from the bulkhead to fuel pump then up to the carb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian nice too see you on the forum hope all is well with family and life stuff.

On 02/08/2023 at 15:39, IanMc said:

The new house, should only be about 30-40 miles away, but I just don't want to risk driving it as it is.

Moving out of Braintree ? can't say I blame you and I've lived here all my life.

• Like 1

hi ian.  the only fuel hose is a small joining peice at rear ,one from just under coil down to pump and another short piece on pump outlet. the front to back main section is a yellow nylon pipe that shouldnt need changing. if you realy want to then i wouldnt just put a long hose in but replace it with either another similar type or 8mm copper but im sure it will be ok.   obviously have a good check because it may have damage ? ? 

7 hours ago, hoobby said:

Hi Ian nice too see you on the forum hope all is well with family and life stuff.

Moving out of Braintree ? can't say I blame you and I've lived here all my life.

Me too Graeme, but the place is starting to drag us down. Too many recent bad memories, and now the whole asylum centre ‘thing’. I’m sad to say that Braintree seems to be on a downward spiral.

Hope you are well mate?

Thanks for all your help guys - outstanding!

Can any of you tell me how much 6mm? Tubing I will need for the smaller breather lines around the tank please? - is a Metre of that also enough?

Edited by IanMc

OK guys, so after having a quick dig around this morning, I can see some of the problems...

In the first photo, there seems to be some kind of weird 'T' connector, but with an open 'stub'. What's all this about and where should this all be connected to please?

In of the photos, you can easily see a break in the line - assumed to also be a breather?

Another shows the braided main tank gravity feed that goes under the floor towards the mechanical fuel pump? This looks like it might have even been the original line?! This has to be another clear candidate for suspicion, given its age and apparent condition!

In one photo, you can see a 'join' in one of the lines - presumably a breather to the outside of the car, as it goes through the floor. From memory, does this end up in the offside chassis rail?

Presumably, I really want this to be one complete line, not joined?!

I would like to replace all of this mess, but need to know where everything is suppose to run and be connected to please.

Sincere thanks in advance.

IMG-0793.jpg

IMG-0794.jpg

IMG-0790.jpg

IMG-0791.jpg

IMG-0792.jpg

Edited by IanMc

Right, so I have solved one problem - namely the one related to the ‘T’ piece in the breather line.

This evening I have found a second smaller tank breather connection on top of the tank, hiding behind the Steel pipe that runs to the main filler neck.

So basically the two tank vent stubs each have a pipe that runs to the ‘T’, then that goes down to the hole that leads through the floor to the chassis rail.

On closer examination, two of the three tank breather pipes were brittle and broken… no wonder it stinks of fuel. Replacement pipe is on order for that area.

Now I need to get underneath to see if, as Chris advises, I still have plastic pipe running back to front, or something else.

I had the same problem when I bought my car and half filled the tank, drove home with windows down it was that bad.

Check the sender unit as well my cork gasket was shot now replaced with ethanol proof one from Germany.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IanG said:

I had the same problem when I bought my car and half filled the tank, drove home with windows down it was that bad.

Check the sender unit as well my cork gasket was shot now replaced with ethanol proof one from Germany.

Have you got a link to that item please?

it looks like someone has been messing before you got the car. the plastic reinforced see throu stuff certainly isnt original (or any use !)

you should have the tank lower connection(fuel outlet) down thru the  bootfloor and onto a yellow nylon pipe right up to the chassis leg just under the coil.this may still be correct and in place. 

the tank breathers that you can see join at the connector and then come down and it is indeed just pushed into and sealed into the top of the  chassis member. as you thought.

sender unit should be ok unless someone has  played with this also ? .the saloon/ coupe ones dont rust away like hatch ones do so dont realy ever need removing unless faulty ?

just make sure you use a good quality known make of hose rated R9 for ethanol /future proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry guys, me again…

I have decided to go the whole hog and also replace the plastic pipe that runs from back to front.

I have measure this as it’s 6 mm bore, 8 mm outside diameter, but I am unsure what material to buy - obviously it needs to also be Ethanol resistant.

Any suggestions please?

• Like 1

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Complete-set-fuel-pipes-with-hose-filter-Opel-carburetor-cih-OHV-Weber

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Sorry guys, me again…

I have decided to go the whole hog and also replace the plastic pipe that runs from back to front.

I have measure this as it’s 6 mm bore, 8 mm outside diameter, but I am unsure what material to buy - obviously it needs to also be Ethanol resistant.

Any 

3 hours ago, IanG said:

Thanks, but by the time you factor in international shipping, that’s too pricy for me.

From what I have seen since my earlier post, PVC pipe will be fine with any fuel containing Ethanol.

So now I really just need someone who has used that on a Manta or Cav to confirm this for me.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Thanks, but by the time you factor in international shipping, that’s too pricy for me.

From what I have seen since my earlier post, PVC pipe will be fine with any fuel containing Ethanol.

So now I really just need someone who has used that on a Manta or Cav to confirm this for me.

Thanks again.

Got copper pipe on mine ( not done by me) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Got copper pipe on mine ( not done by me) 

That’s what I used tbh, far more durable than nylon, with crud on roads these days. It also looks the part when bent properly with the tool. Not to mention better for securing.

Nylon fuel pipe is already ethanol resistant btw, so you can get some from eBay cheap as. 

• Thanks 1

I got the vent/breather side sorted out this afternoon. By that I mean all the old cracked and mismatched stuff removed and new pipes and clips fitted back.

After that I stripped out the two short pieces of flexi pipe at the fuel pump (inlet and outlet), then followed that up by stripping out the long run from front to back.

So that means that all I need to do now is to remove the short run off the base of the tank, that goes through the floor. Currently that piece of pipe is closed off with a hose clamp, even though the tank has already been drained.

Onwards!

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1