Just joined - but need a Manta now :-)

LostSoul

Good morning all...

Saying hello as a new member here.

The Manta A has been a must-have for me since they were new. Now is the time to make ownership actually happen (before I'm too old to drive one!)

I'm searching for a RHD Manta A. Ideally 1.9 but any spec considered, good to amazing condition please (my restoration skills are exceedingly limited!)

Doesn't have to be stock/original spec, but hopefully not too much customising to undo...

Also, join-up link registered me for the forum, it seems, but no fee requested. How do I join as a full member please?

Thank you for reading my message, I look forward to some 'Manta-chat' very soon 🙂

Best wishes to all

LostSoul

(Lost to old cars, that is!)

Edited by LostSoul
Add question
  • Like 2

Welcome to the omoc forum

Manta 'A's rarely come up for sale especially in v good condition.

You will need to have a budget between £15k - £20k to get the car you want.

Automatics may be closer to the lower end of the estimate.

I have an A series & they are great cars that turn heads wherever you go.IMG_20210604_113728_435.thumb.jpg.c8bb5bafd62c8e6243633fd73c4c2787.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LostSoul said:

Good morning all...

Saying hello as a new member here.

The Manta A has been a must-have for me since they were new. Now is the time to make ownership actually happen (before I'm too old to drive one!)

I'm searching for a RHD Manta A. Ideally 1.9 but any spec considered, good to amazing condition please (my restoration skills are exceedingly limited!)

Doesn't have to be stock/original spec, but hopefully not too much customising to undo...

Also, join-up link registered me for the forum, it seems, but no fee requested. How do I join as a full member please?

Thank you for reading my message, I look forward to some 'Manta-chat' very soon 🙂

Best wishes to all

LostSoul

(Lost to old cars, that is!)

Welcome, it's just a waiting game as the odd one does come up. Good luck with your search.

Thank you both for the quick welcome replies!

Dave, your car looks fab. Exactly the sort of car I am hoping to find (or get to, if one pops up that needs a bit of work)

As for budget, understood. Everything nice and/or worth having these days has a bigger premium on it than ever - a reflection of the quality of the new stuff, maybe?

Also, I can be in Bristol in less than two hours if you ever tire of your Manta!!

Terry, I agree re waiting game. I'll wait for ever then several will appear at the same time...😁

Thanks again and all the best.

• Haha 1

A good question to ask a seller is "Are you happy to take it to a local garage to put it up on ramps?" Wheelers dealers have come a cropper a few times by not checking the underneath before buying...remember the TVR that had a rotten chassis?

1971 Opel Manta A Restoration. | Retro Rideshttp://www.mantacentral.co.uk/omoc/web uploads/v6/restro0046.jpg

15 hours ago, LostSoul said:

A stunning-looking car has just been listed on Car and Classic - tragically for me it is left hand drive 😒

I saw that one as well & my initial thoughts were that at £19K it was at the top end of it's worth especially as it was the slightly less desirable 1.6 S Model rather than a 1.9 SR.

When I saw it was LHD I remembered the car from a few years ago I believe it was imported from Italy.

As a LHD car I think it could achieve that price in Europe but in the UK I am not so sure.

Still a lovely car though in a great colour.

Hi LostSoul,

I (tentatively) may be able to help as I have a Manta A 1.9SR, RHD, 70,000 miles, in orange. I'm completely torn or whether to keep or pass over to someone who will be able to enjoy it more than me.  Rapierdave knows the car.  If you can send me a private message with an email address I can send you some photos.  As I say, I'm tentatively thinking about selling and have been for a few years.... you never know, it might be the right time.

LostSoul - great to have you on here and I hope you find what you need. I think most of us on here know Adam's car and the history, so definitely worth following up.

Just on another note, it is worth taking a few cars out for a drive before you commit. If you go along to a meeting Im sure you will find people that will also give you the guided tour of things to look out for too. I took a couple of Manta A's out a few years back when I was looking at one, and after driving an Early chrome Bumpered B series, I was completely sold on that as it is a much more connected driving experience than the A series, and can be driven with a bit more 'enthusiasm', (others may disagree of course). The Early Manta B's were actually much better made than anything else in the range too, so they make a good proposition. There is in fact an beautiful Bronze Manta B for sale at the moment, which requires no work at all. Have a look around and get a feel for what is out there, as you never know what might crop up.

Above all, good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Don't let the 1.6s B throw you into a false sense of maybe the 2.0gte is better.

With some taste mods, I have a 1.6s B, and just put it this way, I'd never sell it.

Lowered, 60mm, 8 inch ATS classics, 1.6 lightly breathed on, and EPs. 

Suits the B roads, power on, power off leave it in 4th😁 manual of course 😎

9 hours ago, AdamBat said:

Hi LostSoul,

I (tentatively) may be able to help as I have a Manta A 1.9SR, RHD, 70,000 miles, in orange. I'm completely torn or whether to keep or pass over to someone who will be able to enjoy it more than me.  Rapierdave knows the car.  If you can send me a private message with an email address I can send you some photos.  As I say, I'm tentatively thinking about selling and have been for a few years.... you never know, it might be the right time.

Saw this car in 2019 & it is a well known car in the club.

Probably the most solid rust free example underneath.

It is not perfect but could be used & taken to meets.

It could be made perfect as time & funds permit, mostly paintwork but nothing drastic.IMG_20190715_143836623.thumb.jpg.3cc2a18b2799feb507365f978dab2cf1.jpgIMG_20190715_142845396.thumb.jpg.0a781af14ad2b7c897af8cb527638f16.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

LostSoul - great to have you on here and I hope you find what you need. I think most of us on here know Adam's car and the history, so definitely worth following up.

Just on another note, it is worth taking a few cars out for a drive before you commit. If you go along to a meeting Im sure you will find people that will also give you the guided tour of things to look out for too. I took a couple of Manta A's out a few years back when I was looking at one, and after driving an Early chrome Bumpered B series, I was completely sold on that as it is a much more connected driving experience than the A series, and can be driven with a bit more 'enthusiasm', (others may disagree of course). The Early Manta B's were actually much better made than anything else in the range too, so they make a good proposition. There is in fact an beautiful Bronze Manta B for sale at the moment, which requires no work at all. Have a look around and get a feel for what is out there, as you never know what might crop up.

As someone who has owned a couple of 1900 A series, a 1900 B, 2.0 B hatch, 1800 hatch and a GT/E hatch, I'll let the fact that I still own a 1900 A do my talking.

Edited by 1900SR

1 hour ago, 1900SR said:

As someone who has owned a couple of 1900 A series, a 1900 B, 2.0 B hatch, 1800 hatch and a GT/E hatch, I'll let the fact that I still own a 1900 A do my talking.

Suppose it is each to their own, I have had a 76 1900 SR Coupe, 83 GTE hatch, 84 GTE Coupe,my 76 SR is still my favourite by a distance. Always wanted an A though.

Thank you all for these responses, very much appreciated.

I have taken on board the advice regarding A and B Mantas, thank you, but for me it has to be an A. Mainly, I think, because of the styling and my age. 

Adam's car could be just what I am looking for but let's see.

As for attending events, that would be great. I can't see any Manta-centred events coming up any time soon.

Please could someone let me know if there's a meet-up or event I haven't spotted though?

Best wishes to all

LostSoul

Good luck on your hunt. One thing i would suggest is that you go and sit in one (assuming you haven't recently) and see how it fits you. There is less room in an A than a B for the driver.

Until recently i hadn't sat in a standard A and i find them really cramped for leg room, admitedly i am 6'2" which doesn't help. The B's have more room especially with the recaro seats adjusted for a little more rear movement. I have an A in at the moment that has had the B recaros fitted and modified to go back as far as possible and i'm still cramped for leg room. Which is a shame as i've always fancied an A for both the looks and the free road tax. But will have to content myself with B's which isn't a major setback i will admit as i have 2 🙂

18 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

Where is the Bronze B up for sale?, only nosey at the moment as I still need to move my other project on 🙄

12 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Where is the Bronze B up for sale?, only nosey at the moment as I still need to move my other project on 🙄

Kenny's old car - one of the nicest B's around I reckon.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7372544390/permalink/10161204420449391/

11 hours ago, LostSoul said:

Thank you all for these responses, very much appreciated.

I have taken on board the advice regarding A and B Mantas, thank you, but for me it has to be an A. Mainly, I think, because of the styling and my age. 

Adam's car could be just what I am looking for but let's see.

As for attending events, that would be great. I can't see any Manta-centred events coming up any time soon.

Please could someone let me know if there's a meet-up or event I haven't spotted though?

Best wishes to all

LostSoul

It's a shame you're not more local to Lincolnshire, you could have come and had a play with mine.

16 hours ago, 1900SR said:

It's a shame you're not more local to Lincolnshire, you could have come and had a play with mine.

Thank you, Steve

Once I find a Manta, a run out to Lincolnshire is not so far! Burleigh is one of my favourite places to drive to when avoiding the big roads.

Great countryside along the way, easy driving and relatively peaceful. And a coffee shop when you get there!

Best wishes

LS

• Like 2