2 Door Mk1 Cav

I think that is also Keith's car. Is he packing in Manta ownership, hope not he is one of the good guys

:thumbup

It's a guru project! nightmare amount of welding work BUT even finished Ascona reps go for very serious money. Personally i reckon 2 door Asconas are moving into the mk1/mk2 Ford garden shed price range.

Guys is it really worth the bother to repair this cav, be better for spares surely......

My thinking is that it most probably would be bought so as to make a 2 door Ascona.... by the time you source and buy a front Ascona b end, and weld at her for hour upon hours, and then paint.... would it not make more sense to buy a proper and complete Ascona B with genuine documentation in Holland for roughly 2000 euro - one which needs nothing - and it wouldn't take much to convert to rhd if required.

Not dissing this Cavalier, just trying to talk sense................

arn,t these rare now ?? would it be a hard job to change the front to an ascona's

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2624565.htm

These 2-dr Cavaliers are incredibly rare now, only a handful left on the road. This looks to have been taken apart and lost all semblence of orignality - a great shame. If restored as a 2-dr Cav (not with GTE engine!), would be pretty much guaranteed to be the only only one at most shows! Sadly, the view seems to be "It's only a Cavalier". But there are far more Mantas than Cav 1 left in the UK, and there's usually a howl of protest on these pages when someone chops up an original Manta ...

BJ

These 2-dr Cavaliers are incredibly rare now, only a handful left on the road. This looks to have been taken apart and lost all semblence of orignality - a great shame. If restored as a 2-dr Cav (not with GTE engine!), would be pretty much guaranteed to be the only only one at most shows! Sadly, the view seems to be "It's only a Cavalier". But there are far more Mantas than Cav 1 left in the UK, and there's usually a howl of protest on these pages when someone chops up an original Manta ...

BJ

Ah if only it was that simple!! I actually saved it from being scrapped, against my better judgement. Sitting in a field for 15 years, with knee height grass, with flat burst tyres which had turned green. The local field mince had either used the seats for nests or the material from the seats for their nests. The carpet had near an inch thick, green mosse growing on it, I can go on here! It cost me time and money to save it! so you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

If someone wants to turn this car into an Ascona!! that's a lot better option than the car being scrapped. I have also included a front cav/manta front valance along side an Ascona front, which I got from Drew (very cheaply). Personnaly I couldn't give a s**t if its converted into an Ascona because at least the car has been saved, which wouldn't have happen otherwise.

Cheers,

Keith

I had one back in 1992, car was a piece o' crap, arches were rotting, engine was asthmatic and carb was stuffed, seats were 5hite, colour was horrid colorado beige, nasty 13" steel wheels with crap tyres, crap suspension, weren't really anything about the car I liked at all, was used as a runaround whilst Manta was off the road, tbh I would have got more enjoyment out of getting the bus than driving that old piece o 5hite.

But that's not to say it could have been made into a better car, it really was a tired old base model, in fact I still have the blanking plates for the clock and radio area,,,,,,,, YES the clock was an extra and if I remember correctly the literature that came with the car said that "higher spec models are fitted with luxury items such as Cigar lighter, Clock and Radio :lol::lol::lol: I kid you not...

Ah if only it was that simple!! I actually saved it from being scrapped, against my better judgement. Sitting in a field for 15 years, with knee height grass, with flat burst tyres which had turned green. The local field mince had either used the seats for nests or the material from the seats for their nests. The carpet had near an inch thick, green mosse growing on it, I can go on here! It cost me time and money to save it! so you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

If someone wants to turn this car into an Ascona!! that's a lot better option than the car being scrapped. I have also included a front cav/manta front valance along side an Ascona front, which I got from Drew (very cheaply). Personnaly I couldn't give a s**t if its converted into an Ascona because at least the car has been saved, which wouldn't have happen otherwise.

Cheers,

Keith

Sorry Keith, it wasn't a crack at you personally, didn't know the story behind the car. But there are a lot of people out there who have bought good 2-dr Cavaliers with the intention of turning them into Asconas, and there is definitely a school of thought that any Cavalier is inferior to the equivalent Manta or Ascona, that's all I was trying to say. Top man for saving it, even if you only get a St. Jude Award (Patron Saint of Lost Causes!)

BJ

Hi BJ

No problem m8 :thumbup and thank you for the reply :thumbup

You are quite correct in what your saying about 2 door cavaliers. To me ascona/cavalier/mantas are all lovely looking motors :D The cavalier 400 OR the Ascona look was plan B if I couldn't get the body 'straight' because of the amount of work the car needs. Anyhow that's in the past as there might be a club member interested in the car, so hopefully (fingers crossed), it will have a new home shortly :D

Cheers,

Keith