Gearbox Oil

Ems

Can let you know in the morning as just putting my 5 speed back together! would have had it back together tonight if it hadn't started pi**ing it down with rain :-(

got mine from andyC on here.

Andy

as i keep posting every time this subject comes up, you MUST only put genuine GM GETRAG OIL into your Manta gearbox.

I know two gearboxs that were filled with good correct grade oil of other brands and in a short space of time they failed.

The oil you need has the code numbers - 1 # 93165290 and 19 40 182 GR.4.581 and should still be available through Vauxhall dealers and best of all if your a Manta club member you get trade club discount which makes it seriously cheap, result !!!

As i have said before it would be nice to have a section where we can post part numbers for stuff that people allways need so you dont end up with people keep on posting for the same things. there are a lot of bits you can still get from vauxhall but if all dealers are the same as my local vax one you will need the part as they wont help without it or even try to look it up! as soon as you have the part number they are quite happy to order it for you.

Got proper stuff from andyC on here.

Ok, decided the best way to do this is add a page the my Opel project blog.

http://www.theopelproject.com/?page_id=636

So if you have any usefull part numbers message me and i will add them to the list. Also if you can supply these parts and are happy for me to link to your website etc.. let me know and i will add that as well.

Andy

Thanks for the replies, now I've got the part number I can get it from my local dealer as they'll give trade discount, but they don't have any Manta information on their system.

This part number thing, I remember a few years back when this was started by someone, and he wanted to make a list of all available part numbers, and as it happened at that time I used to keep a book with all part numbers of any part I used to buy for my Manta, it was a routine I had when working on Ambulances, It just made ordering so much easier if you ordered by part number, very handy when for eg there were 29 different part numbers for the Ford Transit.Brake Master, So I give all the part numbers I had to this member, whom I am unable remember his name, so I'm thinking that he must have had other numbers as well, those numbers would be a good start to the idea that is being mentioned by Commodore, and would save a lot of members having to go hunting through back threads for them, that's if there are any to be found!

Edited by Julian

Happy to put any part number up on my blog for future ref. Im going to look back through lots of my old bills etc.. and see what i can find as vauxhall dealers do seem to be a little more helpful if you have the part no :-)

Also you can find a lot of other places to get stuff on Google if you have the numbers.

If anyone does have part number just PM me with a whole list.

Andy

Yeah, I use a Comma semi-synthetic (the number of which I can't remember, could find it for you if anyone;s interested?) and that's been in for over 50,000 very hard miles, no problem. Oh, plus a dash of Molyslip. I was warned not to use EP 80 or 90, too thick for the box, I was told.

BJ

• 3 months later...

I just had the oil changed in my 1.8 box with comma sx 75w-90 gl5 grade and it's not doing well. Slipped out of 2nd a few times and changing down from 3rd to 2nd crunches

I'll check what grade of Comma I put in mine. Been running it for about 14 years with no bother.

Anyway, didn't this 'box also go in the BMW? So it must have received other oil than a GM brand in its day.

BJ

Edited by Brown Job

I just had the oil changed in my 1.8 box with comma sx 75w-90 gl5 grade and it's not doing well. Slipped out of 2nd a few times and changing down from 3rd to 2nd crunches

Finally checked on this.

I put Comma SX75-90 GL5 in my box over 10 years and more than 60K miles back, never had any problems so far.

And it works hard for a living - daily driver for a long time and does a bit of quite heavy lugging on holiday too.

2 boxes, 1 oil grade, totally different results. Weird.

BJ

Never had a rear seal go. And to have two go is bad. Could be something out of alignment?

Andy

My rear seal had started to leak last year - to best of my knowledge, not been replaced from new, so it just wore out.

But cheap to replace - I used a generic seal from a seals and bearing company, cost about £4 instead of the ££££ for a genuine Opel part.

However, I agree, 2 seals going in a short time does suggest something out of alignment or maybe a burr of metal wearing the seal.

BJ

I am not sure about the idea of only using GM oil — there has to be another oil on the market that will suit the Manta gearbox! The biggest criteria to look out for is not to use an oil with a GL5 specification as it eats copper and as far as I know the Manta gearbox has copper internals! Only go up as far as GL4 specification oils.