Early B coupe for sale

Yeah its mine lol

Was trying to figure how to put photos on this site but you dont seem to have a gallery section!

Its a strange car it used to have SR on the boot but my old man reckoned it wasnt so cut the "R" off

Anyone know the difference between S and SR i have wanted to know for 30 years so did my dad lol

He actually painted the black bonnet red because he thought the black colour was wrong -  classic Manta owner error I believe!

Edited by omendata

At that age the SR was the only model with a rev counter, and it would've had opening rear windows. The base model was L and also wouldn't have had the rubber trim on the bumper. The S just signified the higher powered engine if I remember right.

Edited by 1900SR

Think the s model is sport, apparently the manta 1.6s was quicker than the equivalent ascona, cavalier, spec was more power, think maybe 10bhp! Woooooo!!! 

Everything, looks as it should, although maybe shouldnt have had a black bonnet or a sr badge. Sealed rear windows are correct, as is chrome trip, no over riders, no radio, as standard maybe optional extra, will have higher geared axle, maybe solex carb, auto choke, if its a manta b 1.6s, it will be manta DL on log book, DL, deluxe! Wheels and trim is right! 

One thing i did notice, rear drivers trim is upsidedown? 

Would make an excellent drivers car, well tuned and all mechanical bits looked over and checked, replaced, carb clean, service, tune up, paint is questionable?  Seller needs proper photos? Showing main area, for rust etc, chassis jacking points, wheel wells engine bay, boot, sills.

If it is for sale it is? If it aint, it aint? Stick a price on it?

Here is a photo. Or two

Opel_Manta_S (7).jpg

Opel_Manta_S_Classic_Car.jpg

Needs 60mm drop and these, thats it!

rostyle.jpg

Edited by ®evo03

No rust anywhere , the only area of damage is the boot has a little dent where i spun it and slid into a gate on black ice 20 years ago lol

Boot is immaculate with original wheel brace kit, spare and all the stuff when it came out of the factory even has the original manual and mots in the glovebox.

Radio is original - there isnt anything that isnt on it

And yeah my dad took all the brightwork off polished it and stuck it back

But as you can see he tried to respray it and some naughty person opened the garage doors and left em open when it dried leaving it rather patchy as you can see!

Bonnet was originally black he resprayed it red but it came black from factory as i believe a lot of the B  Mantas did for some reason but i think it does look better with the black bonnet"

An attempt to make it look more sporty i think by Opel.

Brake pipes need replaced - carb is fecked we could never sort it properly as you can see on here i posted a want for a carb 7 years ago but none of the members had one!
I think my dad tried a Cavalier carb but it never worked.

Was always stored in the garage and as you may be able to see it has double glazing, heating and the floor is carpetted - my dad loved his cars.

Next to it is a classic Lotus Excel Eclat only three in the colour ever made and its mint as well just has the usual failed fuel pump (I think Lotus used a Volvo fuel pump) waiting to be replaced.

And the final beauty is Jensen Interceptor (black) - only got 7000 miles on the clock - seized head never fixed it and its been in there for 40+ years!

Donating the Manta not selling it - decided to give it to a good home and not a 400 customiser or abuser!

Yes, think I was wrong about the base model not having rubber inserts on the bumpers, but that does look like the base model. Hopefully you'll find it a good home with someone who'll love it for what it is, rather than what it could be.

23 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

SR had the nicer steering wheel too irrc

Early SR would've had this wheel.

DSC_0064.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, omendata said:

No rust anywhere , the only area of damage is the boot has a little dent where i spun it and slid into a gate on black ice 20 years ago lol

Boot is immaculate with original wheel brace kit, spare and all the stuff when it came out of the factory even has the original manual and mots in the glovebox.

Radio is original - there isnt anything that isnt on it

And yeah my dad took all the brightwork off polished it and stuck it back

But as you can see he tried to respray it and some naughty person opened the garage doors and left em open when it dried leaving it rather patchy as you can see!

Bonnet was originally black he resprayed it red but it came black from factory as i believe a lot of the B  Mantas did for some reason but i think it does look better with the black bonnet"

An attempt to make it look more sporty i think by Opel.

Brake pipes need replaced - carb is fecked we could never sort it properly as you can see on here i posted a want for a carb 7 years ago but none of the members had one!
I think my dad tried a Cavalier carb but it never worked.

Was always stored in the garage and as you may be able to see it has double glazing, heating and the floor is carpetted - my dad loved his cars.

Next to it is a classic Lotus Excel Eclat only three in the colour ever made and its mint as well just has the usual failed fuel pump (I think Lotus used a Volvo fuel pump) waiting to be replaced.

And the final beauty is Jensen Interceptor (black) - only got 7000 miles on the clock - seized head never fixed it and its been in there for 40+ years!

Donating the Manta not selling it - decided to give it to a good home and not a 400 customiser or abuser!

That needs a strip and a professional spray job and keeping original. No mods at all! 

I would keep that as it is. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

And the rest Danny. That’s a cheap job.

No I get a professional paint job for that price. He painted my coupe 16 years ago and the paint is still like glass. Obviously the car will have to be nearly there body wise and not need hours or welding etc 

B4974F56-19AB-4930-A40F-1239FA916C02.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny D114BCW said:

He painted my coupe 16 years ago

There was a 15 year old mars bar on ebay recently for 22p! Think prices may have doubled from 2k! 

back to the car in question, great wee driving car, great gearing, well mine is anyway, just keep it planted, 3rd, to 4th, to third, pulls well for a 40 yr old car!  A great base to make a great car out of. 

as i said before these cars are not cast from concrete, specs have and did change, think things where more layed back 40 yrs ago.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, biffy1984 said:

Most bodyshops nowadays you’re looking at £2000 for a blowover, more like £3000 at least for a strip ie panels off, glass out etc.

Like i stated the car has to be stripped and ready to go for that price. If they have to remove glass etc its going to be more money.

10 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

There was a 15 year old mars bar on ebay recently for 22p! Think prices may have doubled from 2k! 

back to the car in question, great wee driving car, great gearing, well mine is anyway, just keep it planted, 3rd, to 4th, to third, pulls well for a 40 yr old car!  A great base to make a great car out of. 

as i said before these cars are not cast from concrete, specs have and did change, think things where more layed back 40 yrs ago.

Thanks for the inflation quote, I hope you didn't buy that Mars bar as i imagine it wouldn't taste great 😉.  I had my car painted 15 years ago it was a £1000, the Mantas we send through to him to paint now are £2000, they even get an oven bake for that. 

• Like 1

Paint prices vary a lot depending on the area you live in too.

Harrogate is no where near cheap for paintwork because they can charge the earth and people around here will pay, where as i know of a couple of paintjobs on mantas that have been done around 30miles away that were just over half the price you can get in harrogate for the same job.

Or if you want to go a bit further i can get a good paintjob on a fully stripped car for £1000 but you have to drag it to the north east :ph34r:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

I hope you didn't buy that Mars bar😉 

It went crazy on the bidding, apparently! 

9 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

😉Mantas we send through to him to paint now are £2000, they even get an oven bake for that. 

Good prices! 

• Like 1