Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stumpy

hello

Recommended Posts

got myself an opelmanta definitely a project but ime ok with that ime handy with a mig based in s wales

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get welding..... and don't forget to show us what you are up to.

 

Welcome to OMOC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stumpy, welcome on this forum. We are all curious for pics of your project

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

thanks guys ,ime trying to figure out how to post pics 
its a gold manta 1.8 berlinetta coupe i think its aan old car of a member here or an ex member maybe

if any of you guys could help with posting pics be much appreciated

 

Edited by stumpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Stumpy.

Yeah pics - they will need to be hosted with tinypic etc, or join the club as a web member as I believe it is only £20 and gets you into the members only sections that is where all the technical stuff resides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stumpy

Welcome to the OMOC, we have a few active members based in S Wales in the Swansea  area one in Tintern & Myself & two others based across the water in Bristol.

We normally meet up regularly during the Spring/Summer/Autumn period but obviously with Covid-19 not possible at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great to know ide be up for that  when this virus exhausts itself though my car looks nothing like any  of yours pics yet ive spent today cutting a completely rotte front panel off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is my little rotbox

100858335-10158824463822240-181387454147

100604351-10158824464862240-449905829645

100748965-10158824464112240-766345539400

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Inner wings look good, what’s the Swan necks like ?

Great car for a Redtop conversion as you already have sump, mountings, half hoses and the right gearbox👍

Edited by Jessopia74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

100866129-10158824464047240-222157408441

8 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Inner wings look good, what’s the Swan necks like ?

Great car for a Redtop conversion as you already have sump, mountings, half hoses and the right gearbox👍

inner wings largely good  the swan necks are untouched   will need floors  and a few patches  i will be letting in any new steel edge to edge for a seamless finish  it started yesterday and sounds fantastic [full stainless pipe]  its been sat at least 7 years  so i was chuffed to bits that she fired second turn and a pump of the pedal even had old fuel in her  i have an xe motor and twin 45 webbers with inlet

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome stuff , get your web membership sorted 👍 and then a project thread started. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anybody recognise the car has an opel owners club sticker in the windscreen  and what is it worth  ime not selling i just want to know if i paid over the odds

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought the reg rang a bell, I saw this car 20 years ago at a show and it was mint! it was an old gent who had it.

It does hide a little surprise though.......

I'll dig out the photos I have of it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

oh god i dont know if thats good or bad lol ime made up someone recognises it  and makes me more determined to save her  ime sure though that it used to be red theres a hint of red on the underside of the  4 slot grill and on the iner cills tho its very very dull hardly red at all more like a primer

 

 

Edited by stumpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL! It's not that bad but the guy did say he filled the sills with expanding foam to keep moisture out. Be good to know if it worked or not after twenty years of wondering :lol:

These were taken at Holsworthy Vintage Vehicle and Engine Rally Sunday June 25th 2000.

Image3.jpg.de8e13cdd336d8eb563ab4086f52afef.jpg

Image1.jpg.a6d1cdab7280763c69b55de48d71c41f.jpg

Image2.jpg.f2eaf6df5367d5af1a829495e19785a6.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

the sills are solid as are the inners haha  clever old fella i was wondering why i had expanding foam everywhere its all over the floor inside the car also its in the lower x member at the front  ime chuffed to see the pics thank you very much  

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be really interested to see photos of inner sills and cross member to see what old boy done!.

Once seen a mk1 escort coated from new every year with oil once engine oil was changed, it looked a mess, once cleaned off, the 40+ yr old car was newer than new! Amazing! 

Doors dont look too bad, have you ever tried molasses rust treatment, look it up on Youtube, keep meaning to take some before and after shots, but it does work, handy for bolts, suspension parts etc, works on body panels too, less agressive than sand blasting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the inner lower door frame is shot leaves bits on the drive everytime i open them
is there a lower door frame repair section and can you get lower door skins if so ide rescue them tbh or at least try to    i will get some pics tomorrow the floor has rusted through but the  inner and outer sills are solid
same as the whole nose cone its rusted through everywhere but the lower x member is solid [filled with foam]  i havent tried malasis but i have used brick acid [hydrocloric  and phosphric acid in a yamaha r1 petrol tank that was crusty inside 15 minutes checed and drained it refilled through a seive to catch particles then repeated twice the tan was completely 100% rust free

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Would be really interested to see photos of inner sills and cross member to see what old boy done!.

Once seen a mk1 escort coated from new every year with oil once engine oil was changed, it looked a mess, once cleaned off, the 40+ yr old car was newer than new! Amazing! 

Doors dont look too bad, have you ever tried molasses rust treatment, look it up on Youtube, keep meaning to take some before and after shots, but it does work, handy for bolts, suspension parts etc, works on body panels too, less agressive than sand blasting. 

 

For years & years my cav was jet washed underneath, left to dry off a few days then sprayed with new not old oil, I'm pretty sure that's what saved mine.

As its a "dry" car now I'm steadily cleaning the underside bit by bit, no rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stumpy said:

the inner lower door frame is shot leaves bits on the drive everytime i open them
is there a lower door frame repair section and can you get lower door skins if so ide rescue them tbh or at least try to    i will get some pics tomorrow the floor has rusted through but the  inner and outer sills are solid
same as the whole nose cone its rusted through everywhere but the lower x member is solid [filled with foam]  i havent tried malasis but i have used brick acid [hydrocloric  and phosphric acid in a yamaha r1 petrol tank that was crusty inside 15 minutes checed and drained it refilled through a seive to catch particles then repeated twice the tan was completely 100% rust free

Prob cheaper to buy a pair of doors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brian Opel said:

New member - looking forward to reading and catching up on Mantas

 

A very warm welcome to you Brian - any plans to buy a Manta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...