Polishing The Opel Project

Im not sure how well these will come out but i thought i would post some pics of my paint polishing test.

This is the process i will be using to polish the old Opel Project when it gets a bit warmer!

Give it a clean and use 2000 grit to remove any dirt nibs etc..

The go over it with the Trizact 3000 discs

then the Trizact 6000 dics

then its onto a bit of refining with the Cartec Final Cut 9000

Then a final finish with Cartec Ultra Finish 12000

and a hand wax finish.

Below are some pics of me testing it out on a wing that i below a few coats of paint over if i had any left. I never finished it properly so it was always a bit rough as i wanted to see what it would come out like on this and then hopefully the car would be even better!

I used the Trizact 3000, Final Cut 9000, Ultra Finish 12000 and polish on this and missed out the Trizact 6000 as i only have a few of those discs and they are expensive.

Im using an Auto Finesse MPX DA Polisher.

Hopefully this will be of use to someone and when i get around to the car i will post some of that as well

Andy

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, moodoo said:

That’s some job considering it’s a wing you weren’t even really trying to paint! Is the polisher hard to use, is there a certain trick to it?

Hey Fin

I was pretty chuffed with it. As i had that wing spare it was great when i started painting to use as a test to check the gun settings and i also used it to test out getting rid of some runs and now for polishing so its been pretty useful 🙂

The polishing is pretty easy. The thing i have learnt so far is one of the keys is getting the speed right. For the Trizact you can go relatively slow About 1/3 speed seems good and with the cutting compound too slow and it doesn't give you a good finish and too fast and its hard to keep the polisher flat and stable. Cartec said to go on about setting 4 which is about 2/3. You also need to just take your time and be really slow doing it with the 9000 compound as too quick across the panel and again you dont get a good finish.

You just use the weight of the polisher, no need to press down on it just keep it level and go slow.

Its quite hard to find many good videos that actually talk you through the process properly. Im going to try and find a few more to watch before i tackle the car (and will post if i find a good one) and i need some warmer weather!!

This one was quite interesting - www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSPbjicdrkE

Its going to be a boring job doing the whole car!!

Andy

Edited by 611
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Could never understand how bodyshops polish soon after paint, or cutting as they call it, its probably only skin, think it takes a good 4 weeks before paint is fully cured. 

Great effort, looks very well. 

When i was first starting out and reading up on painting they recon you should mop and polish (probably not use the trizact stuff) as soon as the paint is dry as they recon it cuts and polishes better with less scratching than if you leave it to cure as then its much harder to do as the paint is harder and takes more work!! Im sure people will have different opinions. 

11 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

I am going to attempt this ,hopefully l will get it right, if not a respray will be required 

If you can do some tips it may stop a repaint 

Is this on your current car? because if it is then depending on the sort of scratches you have you could use the Cartec 3000, then the 9000 and finally the 12000 to restore it. The Trizact dics are great it you need to get rid of a lot of scratching or have flatted to get rid of imperfections or orange peel. It takes off hardly any paint and reading up if you are using the DA polisher and not the standard grinder style mop then the chances of burning the paint are almost gone as the DA will never burn the paint like the standard spinning sanders. You can get a hand pad if you wanted to be careful when doing the bit with the Trizact dics as i did a hand test on and small bit with the whole process and that came out pretty good. I will see if i can find the link as i have a hand pad i got from ebay. The trizact discs are expensive but the body shop guy recorded you could do a whole car with just 2 and there are some guys on ebay selling just a couple of discs for about £7.00

Im going to do the door first on the car so i will get some more pics when doing it.

Lots of youtube watching is key 🙂

Although i was supposed be be doing DIY all day today! The missus popped out for a while and the weather was not too cold so i got an hour on the Opel and have started on the door. Took the dust nibs and any imperfections out and hopefully later in the week i will be able to get a few hours and do some cutting and polishing done while she is at work 🙂

Andy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

It's a lot of work, but will really pay off. Looks great, can see the difference. Be amazing in the Sunshine 😎

Its not so much hard work but just time consuming and im not the most patient person 🙂 Think i will do it in stages rather than try to tackle it all in one go!

Im looking foreword to getting all the chrome back on it now 🙂

• Like 1

Backend all polished and bumper fitted and the new number plate lights (that i have had tucked away for years!) have gone in.

Bulbs are on their way and i just need to get some new number plates, fit the boot lock and polish the boot lid and that's the backend done. Then on to the front, polishing and bumper fitting!

Hopefully all polished and ready for the end of Feb 🙂

Andy

• Like 8

Bonnet and front all polished and now ready for the final cut and wax polish.

Im getting the whole car all cut in the Catec 9000 and then will give the whole car a final go over with the cartec 12000 and then a wax finish by hand.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Now that does look smart, good job 👍

Thanks, Mike

Its come out far better than i ever could have imagined. Now im really looking foreword to driving it once i have the last few bits sorted.

7 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Looks......... Better than new. Top work.  Great write up.... Any pics of the gear you use, mop included. 

No problem, i will post some pics of the gear used and also what i have learnt from the whole process later this week when i get time.

The whole process of polishing has changed my view on the whole painting the car process so i will add those thoughts as well. Im now really looking foreword to getting started on the Lambretta as i think i can get that looking stunning!

• Like 2