Spring/Suspension Recommendations Please.

Rick-Manta

My SR-B hatch seems to be sitting a little high for my liking. Had it been an inch lower (and gave a visibly even arch gap around the tyres) I'd have left it; as it is, I'm going to eventually look for something lower but still speed ramp and pothole friendly.

I noticed a few spring kits on eBay and just wondered if anyone has bought and used any please? They're not very detailed on their quoted 30-55mm drops, as it doesn't say drop from what, the GTE or the 1.8S and early-B height, which were quite different. Hatches always seem to look a little jacked up at the rear when compared to lowered coupes, so if anyone has experience with different suspension brands on both body types, please share.

Thanks.

This coupe belonging to Chris M on here has the 400lb progressive front springs from On-Lineautosport available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354633316855 they are listed as standard height for a GT/e and -15mm for other cars. So not 100% accurate as there are at least 4 different ride heights across the years for different models. But they give a good ride height that isn't too low and keeps the front end off the bumpstops (which a lot of the really low springs don't, giving a jarring/clunky ride)

Combined with standard rear springs trimmed to suit and a full set of bilsteins. These give a excellent handling car with a complient enough ride for the roads (although the state of some of the roads around here is putting that to the test even for a discovery currently!). This is what i recommend for all my customers wanting a better ride without sacrificing comfort and everyone so far likes the setup.

This picture was just after fitting them and rolling it outside my unit. They do not settle down much from here but maybe a tad

1512514489_400lbspringheight.thumb.jpg.41b311bfe64fe4ebc2763fcc2fffa5ed.jpg

This is a couple of years later

Image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mantasrme said:

This coupe belonging to Chris M on here has the 400lb progressive front springs from On-Lineautosport available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354633316855 they are listed as standard height for a GT/e and -15mm for other cars. So not 100% accurate as there are at least 4 different ride heights across the years for different models. But they give a good ride height that isn't too low and keeps the front end off the bumpstops (which a lot of the really low springs don't, giving a jarring/clunky ride)...

That looks absolutely perfect! So by "trimmed" rear springs is that just a case of cutting a coil off?

I was never sure if the varying heights were simply unintentional differences for each aftermarket spring manufacturer just getting it wrong, or if GM did sell some early Bs with massive ground clearance.

Thanks very much for the pics and advice.

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

60mm isn't drastic.

IMG_7931_zps39c5d2d7.jpg.f2e50f3b8964e44a6fb8c5b197972979.jpg

Thanks. Yes, not on a 1.8, but not sure what some of these spring kits are quoting: -60mm from what—GTE, 1.8, early B, etc? Plus I don't know what springs mine is fitted with already. They're brand new, so may have some settling to do.

• Like 1

Just remove Rear springs from my manta as it was setting to low as the underside gets ripped to bits by the top of the driveway 

It does look a little high with standard springs something l have to live with 

The one that’s upside down is the lowered springs,the outer one is with standard springs 

8F9E8397-3327-45B7-97C3-3CF45BB849C7.jpeg

928A3301-F762-4884-B3A4-84E58984E055.jpeg

wow that red one looks stunning. the height on that one is perfect. some in brochures do look a fair bit higher which to be honest i dont have a problem with at all. lowered cars look like the suspension is knackered to me especially when done to extremes. plus it spoils the geometry angles and also makes the car impossible to actually use ( speedbumps etc)

each to their own thou, remember thou that cut springs or heat melted ones are not actually legal and neither are lowering springs on std setups that allow the spring to come out of its seat when fully extended.(without retaining)

plus surely the idea is that a car should actually be higher at the back when unladen to allow for it to be not too low when it is ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

That looks absolutely perfect! So by "trimmed" rear springs is that just a case of cutting a coil off?

Yes from memory i removed one coil from the standard rear springs it had on.

27 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

wow that red one looks stunning. the height on that one is perfect. some in brochures do look a fair bit higher which to be honest i dont have a problem with at all. lowered cars look like the suspension is knackered to me especially when done to extremes. plus it spoils the geometry angles and also makes the car impossible to actually use ( speedbumps etc)

each to their own thou, remember thou that cut springs or heat melted ones are not actually legal and neither are lowering springs on std setups that allow the spring to come out of its seat when fully extended.(without retaining)

plus surely the idea is that a car should actually be higher at the back when unladen to allow for it to be not too low when it is ?

Yeah some lowering springs really mess with the front geometry. I've had a few cars in that have been lowered too much and owners complained of a harsh ride and noise from front end. The red one above being one of those. On checking it was actually sitting on the bumpstops when stationary, which explains the harshness straight away as there was no suspension travel left to absorb things.

I removed one coil from the rear springs from memory and the standard springs are thinner towarsds the ends as they are progressive so they are almost coilbound at the ends when sitting at ride height. With the coil removed and bilstein dampers fitted the spring does not come loose or even close to loose when the axle is on full droop on a ramp.

The ride height of the red one was set with half a tank of fuel, which is the condition the owner normally uses it. It rarely carries a lot of weight except for the yearly camping trip to the VBOA rally. Which it managed to do after the new springs went on and while it was low it didn't hit the exhaust or rattle so he was very happy.

But yes setting ride height with little fuel and no weight in can be tricky, as you say it wants to be a little high so it settles level when mediumly loaded.

• Like 2

Lowering spring are proper manufactured, and designed for that purpose, does not cause bump stop or axle drop. Each to their own, but done properly it transforms the car, stops body rise under acceleration. Body roll, increases stability, grip, feel, comfort, road feedback, as for harsh rides, that's road condition or lack of.  I've nothing against standard ride height, but I have developed what suits me. It's always raises a debate, for the wrong reasons.

To reply to the post, A safe bet would be to choose anything above 60mm drop, but personally have no issue with speed bumps, at 60mm drop, just too many of them, badly surfaced roads, pot holes and roads not being maintained. No spring is going to address this, 😆.

Or call Tim TJM, who will cater your needs and supply exactly what you request. 

• Like 1

I’m running the On-Line Autosport front and rears which give the standard GTE ride height. Personally I think these give a good balance of ride height and handling. I used similar on my roadrally manta in the ‘80s

I’m running 17inch rims with 215/40 tyres so they are about 15mm bigger diameter than a standard GTE wheel/tyre or 185/70x13

Fronts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manta-B-Ascona-B-Front-Springs-400lb-Road-Rally/354633316855?hash=item5291caf9f7:g:LLQAAOSw3TZkB6SV&pageci=b41d9c7f-085a-462a-9727-4768a026575f&redirect=mobile
Rears

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Manta-B-Ascona-B-130-280lb-Fast-Road-Rally-Rear-Springs/275806763617?hash=item40375d3a61:g:waIAAOSw5MxkQDA0&pageci=8f0cc3d9-375b-42b1-b0b4-79c67bcf81e6&redirect=mobile

IMG_4543.thumb.jpeg.b32fa42504e2c5818db70396ec33fbb1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the responses, advice and recommendations on the Online Autosport supplied jobbies.

Wayne's exclusive is pretty much what my SR hatch looks like and that's too high for me, plus the coupes have that underside bulge where the spare sits and towing eye to catch the road as you go up a ramp or driveway--I think the hatches are a little shorter too.

Roger's exclusive and Dave's customer's coupe look spot on. You can still see the top of the tyre but not the inner arch behind it, which is the ideal look for me. The hatch's previous owner said they're the standard springs for the car, a 2.0S and because they're brand new and the car hasn't been driven, should settle a good amount, so it's something else to encourage me to get her up and running pronto to find out! 

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Saying nothing..........😆🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

opel-manta-vorne-1.jpg

Waiting for rear spring to vacate.....😆🤣🤣🤣

LOL it’s like it don’t even have an ARB 😂

I especially like how he’s got the window open so he can get even more of a lean going 😁

Edited by Jessopia74

On 26/04/2023 at 19:20, 1200bandit said:

The springs that l removed are a bit grotty but should come up nicely when cleaned 

When l jack it up the springs where insecure,lose 

You are welcome to have them for the cost of post 

That's very kind, thank you, but I'm going for a concours level build as the shell and engine are fully restored, so will have to buy new.

Edited by Rick-Manta

The spring/Bilstein damper setup that David did on my car is absolutely spot on.  Like he says the ride beforehand when on its old Spax lowering springs was awful.

This conversion along with the Astra 16v caliper and Audi disc front brake setup are probably the best two upgrades done to the car, are not noticeable so give the standard look but transformed the way the car drove and stopped.

• Like 3

Thanks! Yes I remember how bad the Spax kit was as my second manta, an Exclusive hatch circa 1999-2000, had them. Even at low speed out of junctions and off roundabouts, the back used to slide out all the time and you'd bottom out on every speed ramp. Terrible!

I’m trying to upload a photo. Which site are you guys using to host pics. ..?

my car has a full spax ride adjustable kit. It is a 40mm lower but it drives like a different car compared to the original suspension. b roads are amazing fun. A massive improvement over standard.  Night and day. I paid about 500 odd quid for full spring and shocks kit. Worth the money all day long in my opinion.  Ride is a little firmer but that’s how I’ve set it. 

• Like 1

just to jump in here .sorry.

if anyone is removing their original gm issue  (NON GTE ) rear springs .the type with the thinner diameter last turn and wants to sell them i could do with one or two. my spares of these oringinals is down to only 2 left. cheers. 

What are the lads with 400 kits running? If memory serves me right mine are 40mm drop but it still sits quite high, interested to hear opinions on decent kits . Have a set of koni sport shocks on it (orange) which seem good 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seanpren said:

What are the lads with 400 kits running? If memory serves me right mine are 40mm drop but it still sits quite high, interested to hear opinions on decent kits . Have a set of koni sport shocks on it (orange) which seem good 

Springs are custom depending on a few factors of use & required roll (many don’t run ARB) . Only one thing to run shock wise, Bilstein B6 

• Like 1

Throwing Avo adjustables into the mix, although will say, bottom bush needs watching, had one that needed replaced, and they kindly stood over it, and sent me two for good measure. 

A step up from a bilstein, and dare I say better, as I managed to dial out axle tramp. 

• Like 1

Got new rear road springs fitted it’s seats a bit high don’t what to start cutting them down 

Can the rear road springs be removed and a coil overs fitted,that it can be adjusted to what you want 

On 06/05/2023 at 23:11, 1200bandit said:

Got new rear road springs fitted it’s seats a bit high don’t what to start cutting them down 

Can the rear road springs be removed and a coil overs fitted,that it can be adjusted to what you want 

Not easily mate. Will require turret mods etc