Hello! I've Just Bought A Mk1 Cavalier.

Daveyboy20

Hi mate, it's a saloon and is going to be my daily driver, it's a 1978 1.6 GL. I've just replaced the thermostat as it was running very cold and the heaters didn't work - sorted now :) also swapped the dizzy cap and rotor arm but the plugs I bought didn't fit and I haven't been able to source leads yet. Oil and filter change to come before being pressed into the daily commute in January! She needs a radio and unfortunately I think there is a slight pin hole in the bottom of the rad but it's a solid old thing! I'll try and get some pics up :)

• Like 2

Welcome along.

Did you find the old thermostat had been removed, or was it just jammed.

There's a common issue with the temp gauges reading high that scares people and they take the thermostat out as an easy fix. But that just keeps the engine cold and its really a gauge issue and an easy fix.

Hello Dave, we have a few MK1 Cavaliers. We found that modern radios with a CD player fouled the heater vents behind the Radio. However, if you dodn't need the CD player, there are a few units that have sd card/ usb port/ MP3 player connectivity that are not so deep and fit well.

Colin

The thermostat had been removed, gets to the second to last section before the red then the stat opens and it drops down a bit and repeats the cycle. Heater is nice and warm now, just dropped the coolant and filled with antifreeze and a bottle of k-seal. Found the right plugs in the end, it runs much better up to temp as well :)

Ah fantastic, I hoped someone might know a bit about it! Will I get a copy of that mag when I join the club then? Did he have a build thread for the car or anything? Yeah it does sound ace, has some form of sports exhaust on it - I think it's a Sportex. The rear window heater switch seems to click back on its own, does anyone know what could be up with it?

Edited by Daveyboy20