I240r build

ANDY ABBOTT

So.... out it comes again. Massive oversight by myself, forgot to check the oil pump pressure releif valve 🙈 engine has been stood for many years so guessing with it being say dry it's seized up. After a couple of minutes running This has resulted in the cam locking up on a journal, jumped the exhaust cam timing and bemt 8 valves 🤦‍♂️ so rebuild time AGAIN ! 🤣 I just dont have any luck with engines, and yes I am an idiot sandwich for not checking the pump before dropping the engine in the car. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a injection redtop in a manta years ago, standard, no mods, standard injectors, at that time it was a 25yr old engine, 160bhp. Only mod was rwd manifold, with carefully shaved manifold gasket. 

Edited by ®evo03

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Seen an injection redtop in a manta years ago, standard, no mods, standard injectors, at that time it was a 25yr old engine, 180bhp. Only mod was rwd manifold, with carefully shaved manifold gasket. 

F it was std, how did ecu allow it go go +30bhp? It’s highly doubtful knowing Motronic closed loop

• 3 weeks later...

We hit 180hp on the dyno day. Not bad but there's something still holding the car back, it's lacking any torque somethings a miss so we will now pull the axle as I have another one fitted with a 4.22 ZF so we will see if this helps. 

• Like 3

Great work, looking very nice. It's been a while since I even had to do redtop work, but honestly surprised these are only 160ish bhp standard, thought they where 180bhp. From a rally perspective over here, thought with ITB, and ECU and cam would push these engines to 250bhp plus. 

You tube channel, if you need any ideas. 

Was tempted to build a proper engine, maybe one day as parts are becoming readily available, and getting long in the tooth, as there are better available now for the rally guys. Thinking Millingtons are up to 400bhp 2.7, unreal for NA. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Currently it's on 320cc mate 

That’s enough for 200hp, 

what pressure you running fuel at? 

You could run bigger injectors but doesn’t mean any better in that range. Are they new or tested for good spray pattern? 

14 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

That’s enough for 200hp, 

what pressure you running fuel at? 

You could run bigger injectors but doesn’t mean any better in that range. Are they new or tested for good spray pattern? 

Running at a smidge over 3 bar. Injectors was brand new around 1000 miles ago. 

9 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Hhhmmm pressure is good then. 
as you say could be exhaust not letting it breath so well. 

Not sure if the injectors are cheap junk as they was supplied by the guys it first went too who installed the bodies etc...  so wouldn't mind swapping them for a good quality set to put my mind at rest. 

Andy is it an open diff currently, and do you think this is affecting Dyno.

All that work and cost for a 20bhp increase, it's making me rethink, I know it's alot of work and cost to get big power, I am considering is it worth it, to get a standard engine from 160 to 250ish, of course it is 😉

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Andy is it an open diff currently, and do you think this is affecting Dyno.

All that work and cost for a 20bhp increase, it's making me rethink, I know it's alot of work and cost to get big power, I am considering is it worth it, to get a standard engine from 160 to 250ish, of course it is 😉

But of course it is! 😂😂

I’m be got some high end 1000cc ones sat in store but may be a tad overkill lol