I240r build

ANDY ABBOTT

The more people that tell me the lights don't look right on it, just confirms to me I've made the right decision. As I like to be different and stand out in a field full of manta 😂 Regarding the wheels I really liked them until I put them on the car, but something about them just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I should paint them grey or white and see how they look with spacers fitted and lowered ? I'm not going mad on wheels at the moment as I'm 5 stud this later on in the year once show season is out the way. I've purchased front 5 stud hubs from TJM just need to figure the rear out now. I've still got to complete the v8 400 track car and rebuild the engine on the mancona before sywell as I'm wanting to get them all there this year. May even get a mate to take the commodore too 🤔 so with so much to do. My time is limited on this, hence the super fast build to this point 👍

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2020 at 21:37, ANDY ABBOTT said:

The more people that tell me the lights don't look right on it, just confirms to me I've made the right decision. As I like to be different and stand out in a field full of manta 😂 Regarding the wheels I really liked them until I put them on the car, but something about them just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I should paint them grey or white and see how they look with spacers fitted and lowered ? I'm not going mad on wheels at the moment as I'm 5 stud this later on in the year once show season is out the way. I've purchased front 5 stud hubs from TJM just need to figure the rear out now. I've still got to complete the v8 400 track car and rebuild the engine on the mancona before sywell as I'm wanting to get them all there this year. May even get a mate to take the commodore too 🤔 so with so much to do. My time is limited on this, hence the super fast build to this point 👍

There is a guy in Holland/Belgium that does the kits for rear axle 5 stud if you get stuck and also does complete axles. The spot lights take the car back to the 80s-90s look which is great IMO. Orange is the new Black, as like Jocks Hill Climb car it looks brilliant on the Manta's.

No doubt we will hear this coming up the road before we can see it. 👍

It is always good to have a little identity of your own on your car, even if it is not visible to the public.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not going to lie, I'm gutted I've got this built so quickly to begin using it and get the engine run in only for this virus to kick off, and be unable to get out on it. We can only hope this is over before the summer and shows can commence. 

Stay safe everyone and wish members all the best. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Oh you show off lol

(no jealousy here🤪)

looks stunning in the Sun mate, 👍

Thanks mate. Boredom is defo setting in but manta pics always cheer me up. 🙂

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Haha 1

You should be very proud of the work carried out 

5 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Thanks mate. Boredom is defo setting in but manta pics always cheer me up. 🙂

I have no manta at this time, l am recording every crap film just to stop me going nuts 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

You should be very proud of the work carried out 

I have no manta at this time, l am recording every crap film just to stop me going nuts 

Thanks mate. Are you still thinking of getting another ? 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Very artistic 🖼👍

Quick question, how much difference is there between i240 kit width and 400 road kit mate?

Depends on the kit really jess. Theres different widths of 400 kits. The one on my 400 v8 is very wide, I'd say around 2 inch wider either side than the i240. My cossie is even wider. I bought a martins kit, and that's no where neat as wide as either of mine. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Depends on the kit really jess. Theres different widths of 400 kits. The one on my 400 v8 is very wide, I'd say around 2 inch wider either side than the i240. My cossie is even wider. I bought a martins kit, and that's no where neat as wide as either of mine. 

Think the kit in my 400 is an irmscher copy as I can see the imboss on the panels, it’s a road version as it sits below the fuel cap, but looking at your i240 kit I think I prefer that. Obviously it is a bit narrower (or looks it), but may not be by much.

I did not realise the kits was so varied though, odd eh.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2020 at 15:56, IanMc said:

This is a wonderful car Andy, superb work!

Thanks ian

On 03/05/2020 at 12:22, TheRealExile said:

Some worthy contenders for the OMOC calendar there. Stunning.

Thanks mate 

The narrower i240 kit sits on the Manta shape much better than the i400, accepted they were both done for a purpose but from an aesthetic point of view the i240 seems more in proportion with the rest of the car.

Those lights on the front are an aquired taste and those wheels don't work for me, not so much the style but the colour, I'd paint them gunmetal grey leaving a silver rim, but these are little details of personal choice, otherwise....

WOW !!!!!! that is one really nice Manta, it just looks right, impossible to define but everything has come together to score a bullseye !

• Like 2

hi. just a quick question (s)regarding ride height.

my  2 cavs are std suspension and were rebuilt a few years back with the same make std front springs.

when i changed one to auto gearbox which is obviously a tad heavier i lost a bit of front height.so my question is:   did the autos have a different front spring as standard .....and if the gtes were lower anyway did they have a different length inner section where the bump stop fits onto ?

reason,my cav with the auto is almost touching the bump stop rubber

Had a look in the parts catalogue: The front springs are different for 1.2, 1.3, 1.8 engines also 1.6 till 2.0S. The GT/E 1.9 and 2.0 have also their own partnr, but the airco models have also different front springs. And the airco models GT/E are again different... Even the front stabilisation bar has got another partnr. But I didn't found a partnr. for the springs with auto box, maybe the front springs airco will help you, the airco cars have more weight cause of the airco and the battery is fitted behind the head-lamp... The front axle crossmember where the bumpstop is fitted is the same for all CIH engines, but not the diesel Ascona. 

Hope I could help you, grts!

• Like 1

I'm starting to think now that the use of the GTE spoiler adds to the overall look of this manta and also is proportional to the car/kit like Ian mentioned.

I like the wheels as they remind me of the early ATS ones fitted to manta's,...I would do the centers black to contrast the orange paintwork,if it were mine that is.

Awesome car with the best cih engine and a credit to the club...its a big fat yes from me lol.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, evo3000 said:

I'm starting to think now that the use of the GTE spoiler adds to the overall look of this manta and also is proportional to the car/kit like Ian mentioned.

I like the wheels as they remind me of the early ATS ones fitted to manta's,...I would do the centers black to contrast the orange paintwork,if it were mine that is.

Awesome car with the best cih engine and a credit to the club...its a big fat yes from me lol.

Thank you mate, means a lot to be appreciated after all the effort put in. The wheels have grown on me, but I still think theres much better out there to better suit it, and it does need dropping slightly on the ride height. I've always wanted to do a i240 with a GTE spoiler, so this gets in out of my system. Strangely though, my v8 400 came with a GTE spoiler fitted and I've opted for the 3 peice on that.