What's the best bulbs?

As i have some nice new tail and indicators fitted i thought i should buy some new bulbs for them!

Does anyone have any recommendations? should i stick with a good quality standard bulb? or is an LED replacement an option these days?

Any help and advice would be great.

Andy

47 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Some of the LEDs are pretty good, but don't skimp on price if you want them to last longer than 5mins.

Seems to be quite a few different options on the LED's if they work properly or not in older cars.

I wondered if anyone was using them and had some advice on the best ones to get as they seem to range from about £10 - £30 for a set of 2!

I use them in the Silver coupe and they work perfectly fine, however, I did buy cheap to start with and they did not last. The LED driver circuit is built into the bayonet so it needs to be able to deal with vibration, temp changes and obviously quite a bit difference in input voltage. I got mine from Amazon and just followed the reviews. £30 is a bit much. When I said stay away from cheap, this was aimed at the £5 ones off eBay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KXLLM1M 

13 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

I use them in the Silver coupe and they work perfectly fine, however, I did buy cheap to start with and they did not last. The LED driver circuit is built into the bayonet so it needs to be able to deal with vibration, temp changes and obviously quite a bit difference in input voltage. I got mine from Amazon and just followed the reviews. £30 is a bit much. When I said stay away from cheap, this was aimed at the £5 ones off eBay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KXLLM1M 

Brilliant, i was looking at similar ones to that 🙂 That's no too bad a price to pay as some of the halogen ones seem to be around £8 for a set!

if you like led then thats fine but personally im not a fan and not even sure if theyre legal anyway.certainly not in the headlights.

what i will say is that modern bulbs dont last as long as they used to anyway.ive have original bulbs in one of my cavs that were in it from 1986 when i got it and still ok. i would look out for some new old stock maybee original lucas or osram .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

if you like led then thats fine but personally im not a fan and not even sure if theyre legal anyway.certainly not in the headlights.

what i will say is that modern bulbs dont last as long as they used to anyway.ive have original bulbs in one of my cavs that were in it from 1986 when i got it and still ok. i would look out for some new old stock maybee original lucas or osram .

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that nothing lasts like it use to. I wasn't too sure if the LED would be too white and bright for the old lenses?

I wasn't thinking of the headlights as mine has already been converted to Angel Eyes 🙂

I think i might get a set of standard bulbs to get me going and then do a test as it would cost me about £50 in LED's to do all the lights!

Good idea on the old stock, i will do some googleing!

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

Replace the standard bulbs for LED in the dash of my manta.the difference is amazing 

0443E048-D641-489A-89A3-229BF288B815.jpeg

Ooh, That does look good. Mine could do with an upgrade but i hate taking the dash apart to get to the bulbs! I will put it on my to do later list 🙂

1 hour ago, Ems said:

I use Osram Nightbreakers in the Manta and T4.

Thanks, Good to know if i need to change the main ones.

23 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

All you have to do is remove the top part of the dash cover 

The bulbs are on the top of clocks 

You're forgetting i have the old A series and they only in the back of the instrument cluster!! Its not as modern and fancy as yours 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 611 said:

You're forgetting i have the old A series and they only in the back of the instrument cluster!! Its not as modern and fancy as yours 🙂

My “modern and fancy” dash has leds with a faint green tint to match the Mini toggle switches I’ve fitted. I like the idea of leds in the rear lights, brakes and indicators but will stick with the original headlamp bulbs.

On a separate matter my headlights weren’t very bright and I was told to check the earth wires - I did and the headlights were 50% brighter. Easy and free to check 😁

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

My “modern and fancy” dash has leds with a faint green tint to match the Mini toggle switches I’ve fitted. I like the idea of leds in the rear lights, brakes and indicators but will stick with the original headlamp bulbs.

On a separate matter my headlights weren’t very bright and I was told to check the earth wires - I did and the headlights were 50% brighter. Easy and free to check 😁

I wondered if the really white bright LED's in the rear lights might be too bright for the lenses? I might have to test one and see what its like.

Im ok on the headlights as i do have modern and fancy ones of those 🙂

opel.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

I used this companies LED stop/tail lamps in my A series & the difference is amazing.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

The only thing you have to ensure is you have a good connection as LEDs are either on or off if your lamp holder is al little corroded.

Good to know as i did look them up but the website was a bit crap so i didn't look into it too much. But interesting to see they say don't use bright white LED's

Do you know the product numbers for them? as its really hard to work anything out on their website! Im looking to do both rear lights and the front indicators on my A series.

Maybe i should drop them a line and see if i can sort out there website in exchange for some bulbs 🙂 Im sure they must loose sale from the website looking very old and out of date!

Edited by 611

22 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

I used this companies LED stop/tail lamps in my A series & the difference is amazing.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

The only thing you have to ensure is you have a good connection as LEDs are either on or off if your lamp holder is al little corroded.

Added to my internet Favourites, Cheers.

the law is a little vague or contradictory on side,tail lights etc. some say they have to be of a certain wattage some say othrwise but you cannot fit leds(or hids for that matter) into any headlight that wasnt originally designed/ approved for them.

you see some people that have done so and the lights are stupidly bright with no beam definition.and to be honest theres nothing wrong with standard manta lights anyway if in good order .thats what they were designed to be.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

the law is a little vague or contradictory on side,tail lights etc. some say they have to be of a certain wattage some say othrwise but you cannot fit leds(or hids for that matter) into any headlight that wasnt originally designed/ approved for them.

you see some people that have done so and the lights are stupidly bright with no beam definition.and to be honest theres nothing wrong with standard manta lights anyway if in good order .thats what they were designed to be.

If you send the company an email they will advise and they’re really professional to deal with.

Standard lights are crap! like tea-lights in a vase. 

• Like 2

On 25/12/2021 at 11:25, cam.in.head said:

Correct, it is instant failure with headlight bulbs replacement that is not as type approval.  I would definitely not tempt a pull over wrong headlight bulbs. 
The rules for side and tail lamps are less vague as they do not have a prescribed beam pattern/brightness etc, only about location on vehicle height/width and colour shown. 

• Like 2