Fitting a near side (passenger) door mirror?

BarryD89

Back in 1989 when my Manta was ordered (presumably dealer stock) the owner never specified a near side mirror.  He did go for a dealer fit rear wash wipe and an alarm system though.  

How easy is it to retro fit a near side mirror?  I’ve seen a few on eBay but I’m not sure if I need a different fitting n the door.  Or is it teeth clench and drill? 

hi. you will  need a n/s mirror .manta b,cavalier mk1,ascona b.

this theoretically can be fitted to the existing corner piece (wont sit correct without some mods )but better to obtain the correct corner piece with the mirror indentaion/hole biult into it.   someone on here will no doubt be akong to offer you one. or pop an ad in the wanted section.

to fit it involves removing the door trim complete and unbolting the corner section with runner. 

there is one on ebay at the moment and the picture  shows clearly why youre better off with the correct door mounting.and what you would need to shave off if you didnt .

• Like 2

I did this job on my manta, just removed the interior handle, window winder and lock surround then removed the door card, I purchased the complete passenger mirror, corner trim and glass guide and swapped them out, easy job to do if you are able to source the parts.

21 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Might have in the work shop definitely have a door mirror don’t know what side. ( little shed at the bottom of the garden) 

will have to look on Saturday as no lights down at the bottom of the garden.

Please, these no need.  I’m not going to strip the door down just for a minor inconvenience when parking. 

I didn't notice your car had a missing mirror. I thought all the later Mantas had both mirrors and it was only optional on the earlier cars (how the hell did people reverse park back then?) but you learn something each day.

As above, I've done a "mirror runner" swap before and it is an easy job. If you get the part, you can see where the bolts go. Plus you could sell on the blank one to someone who wants the Englemann style 400 mirrors (which could also be an option for you, but means blanking off the driver side).

If it's a case of not wanting the bother, like I've done with my Cavalier, you can order a universal clamp-on mirror which won't match and you'd obviously take it off at shows, but makes driving and parking so much easier. This is the one I use. You just clamp it to the gutter and with the mirror bolt loose, then hold the mirror in position as you tighten it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175388908144

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick-Manta said:

If it's a case of not wanting the bother, like I've done with my Cavalier, you can order a universal clamp-on mirror which won't match and you'd obviously take it off at shows, but makes driving and parking so much easier. This is the one I use. You just clamp it to the gutter and with the mirror bolt loose, then hold the mirror in position as you tighten it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175388908144

Good option, and addresses the reverse park challenge and roundabout menace (well it is Milton Keynes) 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, BarryD89 said:

Good option, and addresses the reverse park challenge and roundabout menace (well it is Milton Keynes) 

Well then you'll be glad to hear I work for Milton Keynes Council and we've just installed a new roundabout on the H9 for you to practise on.🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...