Ebay: Silver 86D GTE Hatch £8995

He was after a lot more than this a while ago, claiming it's an exclusive (which it clearly isn't) and thus worth as much as a coupe. The towbar looks horrible; why a dealer wouldn't get that removed in order to get the best price for it is beyond me. Although if the mileage is truly backed up "by VOSA" as he states, then it's still by no means a bad car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

He was after a lot more than this a while ago, claiming it's an exclusive (which it clearly isn't) and thus worth as much as a coupe. The towbar looks horrible; why a dealer wouldn't get that removed in order to get the best price for it is beyond me. Although if the mileage is truly backed up "by VOSA" as he states, then it's still by no means a bad car.

Holes in the boot floor? 
Problem with this era type of tow bar is that they do leave damage to the shell once removed.

11 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Holes in the boot floor? 
Problem with this era type of tow bar is that they do leave damage to the shell once removed.

I've removed several. You can either bung up the holes in the floor or weld the box section they're normally bolted to like it was a rot repair, or as was often the case, angle grind off all the petruding bits, so it appeared "top side" to be normal. The worst part of towbar removal is unsplicing the wiring and going over each wire with a piece of heat shrink or insulation tape.

I messaged the seller. He confirmed it is not an exclusive and said the guy he bought from claimed it was. I told him (I hope accurately) that standard and exclusive hatches aren't too different in value; it's the exclusive coupes looking more like a 400 have gone mad price wise.

Additionally he has no record backing up the mileage other than MOT record online, which started when?.. 2006? So I'm very sceptical of claimed genuine low mileage Mantas these days as too many I bought even 10 years back have been around the clock and both the CIH and 1.8S can do 150k plus thanks to the 5-speed being long legged.

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick-Manta said:

I've removed several. You can either bung up the holes in the floor or weld the box section they're normally bolted to like it was a rot repair, or as was often the case, angle grind off all the petruding bits, so it appeared "top side" to be normal. The worst part of towbar removal is unsplicing the wiring and going over each wire with a piece of heat shrink or insulation tape.

I messaged the seller. He confirmed it is not an exclusive and said the guy he bought from claimed it was. I told him (I hope accurately) that standard and exclusive hatches aren't too different in value; it's the exclusive coupes looking more like a 400 have gone mad price wise.

Additionally he has no record backing up the mileage other than MOT record online, which started when?.. 2006? So I'm very sceptical of claimed genuine low mileage Mantas these days as too many I bought even 10 years back have been around the clock and both the CIH and 1.8S can do 150k plus thanks to the 5-speed being long legged.

Yeah, but that work is something dealer would not want to do (was more my point).

As for miles, think we all know the tell-tale signs of a high mileage car. So if it looks like it could be, and has some of the OEM bits that tend to need replacement on highe Miles, then you can’t always be so dismissive imo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

I normally find pedal rubbers to be the best indicator, along with wear on the gearstick and steering wheel. This GTE has them replaced with alloy aftermarket ones and the wheel is different from OE.

Exactly my dilemma on the car ive just advertised.  No written history whatsoever, and if you saw where i found it you would cringe.

However its 1 owner from new and showing 39k - question is, genuine or not ?

So the,pedal rubbers - perfect all round

Vinyl mat under the pedals - perfect and mint

Steering wheel - all the texture

Gear knob - all the texture

Inside the engine - mint, as new no sludge at all with cross hatch on the bores

This counts for it being genuine for me

Oh and the way it drives,  tight as a drum on a very skint day !

20221220_095049.jpg

20221129_123442.jpg

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

On 22/12/2022 at 00:46, MrCarlos said:

Exactly my dilemma on the car ive just advertised.  No written history whatsoever, and if you saw where i found it you would cringe.

However its 1 owner from new and showing 39k - question is, genuine or not ?

So the,pedal rubbers - perfect all round

Vinyl mat under the pedals - perfect and mint

Steering wheel - all the texture

Gear knob - all the texture

Inside the engine - mint, as new no sludge at all with cross hatch on the bores

This counts for it being genuine for me

Oh and the way it drives,  tight as a drum on a very skint day !

She's a beaut! And certainly the better option when compared to this towbar hatch.. Yes, certain evidence cannot be faked, nor make economic sense to do so. Paperwork is desirable, but it's a logical conclusion if other evidence, such as wear, supports the mileage. I find it maddening these days with claimed but not proven low mileage. The last 1.8S I bought showed 35k and the seller and his dad kept saying it's genuine, despite the pedal rubbers having worn through, the shiny wheel and gearknob and drove as you'd expect an old but looked after 8v OHC to drive. I sold it stating 136,000 miles, but the guy I sold it to advertised it as 36k, and the guy who owns it now tells people "it's only done 37k."

Anyway, what trade-in value can I get for the Cavalier on this GTE? 😄 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

People need to be very carful with this seller I bought a cosworth from him turned out to be a ringer and he knew full well as he'd already sold it once before and had to take it back as the then buyer also found out it was a ringer. He cut all ties with me and had moved premises couple days after I bought it and folded the company. Luckily I managed to sell it on being open and honest about the cars I'd the guy who bought it off me only wanted it for its parts I lost 4k on it however. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

People need to be very carful with this seller I bought a cosworth from him turned out to be a ringer and he knew full well as he'd already sold it once before and had to take it back as the then buyer also found out it was a ringer. He cut all ties with me and had moved premises couple days after I bought it and folded the company. Luckily I managed to sell it on being open and honest about the cars I'd the guy who bought it off me only wanted it for its parts I lost 4k on it however. 

That’s shocking! No legal action as option? 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

That’s shocking! No legal action as option? 

In all honestly jess I couldn't be bothered with the stress had a lot going on at the time with Danny passing, businesses etc.. I just didn't have the time or frame of mind to chase after it was just happy to get majority of the money back on it. He now trading as elite cars aswell as Ash motors. A quick Google search will show neither company exists.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Thanks for the warning Andy, not quite ready to buy yet until my Project is moved on, Carl's looks a much better bet for anyone looking.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Thanks for the warning Andy, not quite ready to buy yet until my Project is moved on, Carl's looks a much better bet for anyone looking.

This is why being a classic car club is well worth the money as it can save you a lot of money 

• Like 4

On 27/12/2022 at 16:48, ANDY ABBOTT said:

In all honestly jess I couldn't be bothered with the stress had a lot going on at the time with Danny passing, businesses etc.. I just didn't have the time or frame of mind to chase after it was just happy to get majority of the money back on it. He now trading as elite cars aswell as Ash motors. A quick Google search will show neither company exists.

Danny, as in Danny Ormerod? That's a bit of a shock. My belated condolences to his friends and family.

Thanks also for the heads-up on this dodgy trader. He's still advertising it as an exclusive.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

How do we know it isn’t an exclusive? Just curious. I can see the rear bumper is wrong and has no infill panel, but those may have been removed when the tow bar got fitted. Just a theory. 

It says "exclusive," "executive" or "exec" on the V5. The seller confirmed that it doesn't and the car isn't, but hasn't changed the listing. As well as the rear bumper and infill, it's the wrong colour, has the wrong wheels and wrong glass tint.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rick-Manta said:

It says "exclusive," "executive" or "exec" on the V5. The seller confirmed that it doesn't and the car isn't, but hasn't changed the listing. As well as the rear bumper and infill, it's the wrong colour, has the wrong wheels and wrong glass tint.

It also has the large wash bottle, so the quad headlamps will not be factory.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

Danny, as in Danny Ormerod? That's a bit of a shock. My belated condolences to his friends and family.

Thanks also for the heads-up on this dodgy trader. He's still advertising it as an exclusive.

Yes Dan passed earlier on in the year. 

• Sad 1