we rescued Moon Monkeys Manta !!

d818anr

[:0] That's some serious welderthorn going on there lol!

Hope it's worth it in the end, though with the new front end, it'll be 5 different colours [:o)] could it be a record for the most colours on one manta? thinking along the lines of that VW Polo that had various coloured panels.

Sills?, what are those bits of rust laying on the floor then?

BOJ, Jodie, Chicken$h!t

Spares, Racer in waiting, GONE! [:(]

Now known as JC (Jesus Christ) Thanks to Big John for that one

1148113674346.gif

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty more to come. But we need the time for work and so can't update you much at the moment.

We are still working on the drivers side, so far we have replaced the lower rear 1/4 panal , rear wheel arch , sill, refabrecated the washer bottle tray along with half the kick panal. welded new steel into the chassis rail around the jacking point and replaced the nose cone.

Andy has made a new rear loom and hopefully sorted out other electrical itams, but we can't check yet.

All is going well but there has been a lot more work than expected, isn't it always the way.

Wil post pic as soon as we can.

Well beter get back down to the garage or I'll be branded a slacker. [:D]

Chris

Membership Sec.

http://www.mantacentral.co.uk

sigpic2.jpgBefore sigpic.jpgNow

just got home. nigh on 4 hours! it took 3 on the way up and I spent 30mins in the service station that time!. absolutely knackered, I hope the car made it out of chris's garage! If you weren't there you cannot comprehend how much work was done, especially by Clive and Chris on the welding. Gutted it didnt get fully finished but what we did achieve was beyond belief

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

so worried about the loom. chopped the loom by the front a post and made a whole new one to the back lights but due to time never got to test anything. The one thing I was there for and it could be a pile of cr@p. Thats it, i'm off for a bath of swarfega!

About 6pm it was back on it's wheels and fired up,,,,,,,, Eventually as some idiot forgot to put the earth strap back on. (me)

running not particularly well, but only had the kit to check the timing with me, Paulmant who brought a gas analyser along had left earlier in the day, could have really done with that.

New arches,

new sill,

best part of new floor pan,

new outrigger made that replaced the old jacking point,

new lower rear quarter,

complete run of new loom made up and fitted to replace the one I cut through,

new fuel tank and fuel line

Most superb and excellent chassis rail section made up and welded in.

To be totally honest I'm that tired, I simply cannot remeber exactly what was done altogether.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Well i am back home (5 1/2 hours and 300 miles later) and i have just found out that Steve drove the car away from Chris's house around 7 ish, so it is back on the road !

It was a BIG mission to say the least, the worst part was the welding and the guys who did this had lots of work indeed, my hearty congratulations to Clive Chris and Kev for all they got through, Plus it was all done to a very good standard so no horrible bodgery went on.

I got some of the jobs done i wanted to do but whilst the welding was going on the car was on its side on the cradle, this meant that changing the brakes or tuning the engine or servicing it was impossible, I did manage to change the fuel tank, re build the rear brakes, completely change the brake pipes on the back axle, set the handbrake up, fix the rear wash wipe and sort other small jobs out !

Meanwhile our resident sparky Andy (D818ANR) was building a new rear wiring loom from scratch and getting all the electrics to do what they are supposed to.

I feel really proud to have been involved in such a mission with such a good bunch of people, none of this would have been possible without Chris whose workshop we used, and what a workshop !!!

[8D]

----All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be---

thats better, I can see whats left of my hands now! Well, apart from the bits that I still cant get that f#(king grey seam sealer off! Can I make it very clear that this will almost certainly NEVER happen again! What we took on this weekend was a job too far in the time available. Friday night the lads were up till 3am working on the car, on monday I got there at 8 after getting up at 4am and before 9am we had started, and did not finish till 4am. apart from an hour down the pub for lunch and a dodgy kebab on the garage floor we did not stop that whole time. Thats 19 hours solid grinding, welding, fixing, sealing, painting, wiring and god knows what else in one day!, let alone all the lads did on friday and all we did today. Bear in mind, at 3pm, the car was still on its side with Clive plating the back of the chassis rail and Chris and me doing a quick wheel arch replacement(Steve, get some filler on that panel asap and a coat of paint as well! we are all now tryiing to drain our lungs of every type of dust and chemical going!

If we ever did a weekend group hit again it would have to be as follows:

The car must not be required to be driveable at the end of the weekend.

One of the group gets to have a proper assessment of the work beforehand.

We set time limits. We know we shouldnt have worked that late and in all reality we could have really screwed up as we were dead on our feet.

This was a one off. We all chose to hit steves car, he didnt ask for us to do, it we offered. I hope we have done enough to save his car. Its still a long way to go, but it would be a shame for all the work that went into making it a much more solid car went to waste.

can i just say to those who have the question on their minds ,what does this club offer me? ,well depending on what you are willing to put in ,anything up to & including this if you get to know people, these blokes are bloody amazing & the club members who know them must feel as i know i do, proud & more than a little humbled at how well they have represented this club & what it's about.

proud to know you all gents[^]

i wish you luck with this manta mission should you choose to accept it

omoc member 2126

Have to agree with Pat you guys have done a proper top job, just shows what this club is all about, i'll see some of you in just over a week to hear first hand some of the details on this top job. Well Done.

Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands.

I was lucky as due to family commitments I had to leave in the early hours of Sunday morning[;)], but to be honest, in the 30+ hours I was there we worked our backside off. There were a few times where you had to physically stop for a breather due to be totally worn out, it's surprising just how much work went into steve's car that very few people will ever appreciate. There were a few moments where we all questioned the viability of rescuing this manta as it was so badly deteriorated that it made the job nigh on impossible. If it was my car and I had another I could use then personally I would have scrapped/re-shelled it as the body was totally knackered, but as it was Steve's pride and joy, we all carried on regardless cutting out more and more rot and replacing with fresh virginal steal and a whole lot of kurust. Credit where credit's due, Steve tried his best to help as much as possible and we even had him flatting the bodyfiller down, to which he done a great job, especially for a novice. I have got to be honest that if it was'nt for the other guys involved: Chris, Clive Paul and Andy, then this marathon adventure would'nt have been as great and as well executed as it was. I am proud to have been involved and as with the others, would have liked more time to have got the car completed. Cheers lads, it was great[:D][:D][:D][:D][;)]

International Liason Officer

Green 24v A Series

Blue 1.9 Opel GT

Red 1.9 Opel GT

well chaps.... I fianlly wade it home... and I have to say its the first time in ages that I've really enjoyed driving the car again!!!

I stopped off at liecester services fo about 20 mins cause i decided i was absolutly starving.... having a bounty and a few cups of coffee to keep me going...

Quite please about that bodyfiller comment kev... the amount of stick you were giving me i thought I was doing sh!te!! by the way folks... massive credit to kev helping out as it's the first time I've met him!! Although... to be honest I've never really had a proper chat with Andy T either... and really... I've only met the others a couple of times properly...

Have to say too a Massive Massive Thanks to mr Virco.... Supplied us with rear quarter panels when we really needed it... specially as he was on his way to set up a club stand at a show... can't rememeber which one it was but cheers for the invite too!!

Clive did an amazing job with the floor, sills and chassis rails... though i miss my air con!!! NOT!! Kev... hat's off to you for the A post and the front end!! do you know how long it's been since I've been able to close my bonnet properly!! i.e. without jarring my wrists from slamming it!!! Chris... top job on the arches and the other A post... Good tip about the stickyflex (or whatever it's called... will hunt it out!!) you and clive had a right carry on with the washer bottle tray thing.. great job again!! Paul... that tank is mint!!! Thank you for giving me a petrol gauge back too!!! and the car stops soooooo much better... need to get my arse in gear and get the front oned sorted now!!! Andy... well impressed that you built a whole new loom from scratch... wired it all up... sorted my lights out... wired up for the elegence bumper... (shame the f***er was too much of a piss about to get it on in the timescale.... grrrrr!!!)

Have to admit... i did feel like a third bollock for most of the time but I've learned a hell of a lot... and I mean a hell of a lot... was actually quite suprised at how little i actually knew!!!

The car still won't pass an MOT... BUT... compared to what it was before it is soooooooo close!!! all it need is the p/s indicators looking at... will check the fuse first.... when I can see again!! There's a hole in the p/s rear arch... stickyflex... front brakes definatley need attention... and 1 front and 1 rear spring need sorting... compared to all that... leaky petrol tank... missing tail light, no floor.... no chassis rail... no jacking point... all brakes a bit knackered... Think it's come a long way... will take a lot longer to be a minter but atleast its actually fun to drive again!!!

what was done... in a weekend!! :-

New rear arches - both sides

New sill - drivers side

New a posts - both sides

Jacking point replaced - Drivers side

Full electric loom for the rear

rear lights fixed

Dash lights fixed (andy's magic touch did it as he claimed he only took the cowling off!!!)

rear drums replaced - both sides

brakes bled

new fuel tank - no longer leaks!!! hardcore 2" of armour plaing too!! cheers paul!!

Wheels cleaned - almost immaculate considering the amount of sh!t on them... All praise the Evil Acid!! need to get me some to sort the calipers out!!

New fuel line front to back - needed due to an unfortunate welding accident!!

Drivers side arch filled and primed...

passenger rear arch primed - get to do the smoothing myself!! we'll see how the novice does on his own!! (probably end up like a 400 arch!!)

whole area under the washer bottle - great job considering the amount chopped out!!

car under sealed - well... some black stone chip type stuff i only managed to remember the stickyflex as a brand... everthing else was just spray...

I'm sure there's other stuff... but again MASSIVE thanks to all who helped... good to meet PMA and Del (of green monster fame) both popped in for a look... I agree with andy... this definatley wasn't for the feinthearted... I'm suprised I managed to cope with it all... when you have some of the most experienced people on here saying it's the worst car they've ever worked on you know that they've done an absolutly amazing job... think we worked out the labour cost to be around £3000!!!! If i had that kind of money I'd quite happily pay you all for it cause thankfully no one would bodge anything!! even though I suggested it a few times...[:I][:I][:o)][:o)]... Was only trying to help move things along!!

I have the removed Jacking point and I'm going to mount it and have a small plaque to commemorate the event and will have it on display at billing next year.... Got no excuse to not go in the concourse now!!

Forgive me if i'm not on in the next few days... I will be asleep or at work..... sooooooooooooooo tired.... but wouldn't have missed it for the world!!

beta127.gif

Woo hoo

A little better now for a bit of a rest.

Hope the comment about expecting more pics on this topic wasn't taken wrong way, its simply what I thought people were doing.

Bloody hell though....... What an absolute 4ucking shed, the opinion was to sell the sump and other bits and put steve back home on the train.

Chris collier worked out that "approx" 100 man hours went into this between us all. Now that is presuming that at any one time there may not have been someone working so 1 person was struck off of the man hour calculation.

Best bits for me was the fact we worked so well together, no-one got in anyone elses way, tools were always to hand, we fed off of each others experience and listened to each other.

Excellent banter between us all, excellent work done by all.

Was impressed as hell with the rate Kev finney tackled that nosecone.

Many thanks go to Chris Collier for his hospitality and use of floor, sette, spare bed, coffe, bathroom etc.

Many thanks to Ian Virco for bringing up the lower rear quarter panels, we would have been stuck without them, if you had seen the state of the rear quarter well it was beyond words. In fact with no sill, no floor, no chassis rail, no inner and outer arch and no lower rear quarter, wing and door removed, there was simply NO CAR on the drivers side at all at one point.

HECK of a job, looking back I can't quite believe the work we got done on it, then late Sat night/Sun morn we found yet more rotten chassis above crossmember brace mounting position, so unless the engine and crossmember were removed it wasn't going to get done.

Time and the fact everyones enrgy levels were now so low simply meant this was the line we could not cross.

on a final personal note, got on absolutely brilliant with the welder, absolute spot on bit of kit once I got the settings right, until the last 2 inches of welding and the torch 4ucked up on me and decided to constantly feed gas, which is the same as what happened to my old welder, best to steer clear of these.

Finallly II best moment must have been when Paulmanta pulled out a section of Short Wheel Base Transit Van wheel arch section that had been bonded in with filler into the passenger rear arch by some total bodgemaster,[:D][:D][:D]

Edit.. we knew it was transit van cos it still had the sticker on

Never again though, never ever.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

well done to all who were involved, it sounds like you have achieved a lot in the short time you had to work on the car, specialy with it being in the condition people have described(mine sounds almost showroom in comparison)

goes to show what can be done when people club together [:)]

opel_manta_sig.jpg

That is something i have to take my hat off to, probably one of the best things i've seen to date since becoming part of the OMOC

Congrats Guys! [:D]

And as for that arch section thing, Boj had the same thing too but not a transit one! [:o)]

Sills?, what are those bits of rust laying on the floor then?

BOJ, Jodie, Chicken$h!t

Spares, Racer in waiting, GONE! [:(]

Now known as JC (Jesus Christ) Thanks to Big John for that one

1148113674346.gif

Now that you've all finished your amazing workathon, can we have some pics to gawp at?

Did I mention my rusty coupe? [:D]

79 SRB coupe - anyone know what a B230FT is?, 79 Cav saloon - 16v sleeper, 1986 GT/E hatch in red street camo colour scheme, 198? GT/E hatch - building from a bare shell to factory spec

Can you guys do me a favour and post up some links as well as the images ? Me is teh 56k [xx(][:(][xx(][:(][xx(][:(]

Anyways, nice work guys. You've restored my faith in mankind. [;)]

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

refitting is the reverse of removal

Ok here are the pics of the weekend, enjoy.

http://www.mantacentral.co.uk/omoc/web%20u...verhauling.html

For those on dail up, pic 1 can be found at:

http://www.mantacentral.co.uk/omoc/web% ... _0810%20(1).jpg

to see the rest just change the number in the ().

Chris

Membership Sec.

http://www.mantacentral.co.uk

sigpic2.jpgBefore sigpic.jpgNow