we rescued Moon Monkeys Manta !!

d818anr

quote:thats a bodge and we dont do them
id="quote">id="quote">

Theres no point in doing a bodge job. If you just plate over the holes (which is what most garages will do unless you go to a main deller)then the rot is still there, and it will carry on rotting under the plate, 12 months down the line your left with a car that worse than it is now.

You have to cut as much of the rot out as you can, then replace with new metal.

Its just not worth bodgeing it.

If we are going to do this then lets do it right.

It is going to be a long weekend, any panales you can get that may be usefull, will make the job quicker and easier and therefore more jobs are likly to get done.

11 Days to go [:)]

Chris

Membership Sec.

http://www.mantacentral.co.uk

sigpic2.jpgBefore sigpic.jpgNow

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve I'm pretty sure I can get all your electrics sorted over the weekend so that it all works and is good for the MOT. I'm quite happy to work at that myself bar the odd flicking of switches now again by the others! Luckily the Manta is pretty basic for electrics so theres not much to do. It tends to be the awkward bits like the loom under the dash that take time but to be honest if I find a wire gone down in that it will be taken out of the circuit and a whole new length run in, it saves time and is a damn sight easier in the long run! I'll make sure I'll have my meter with a fresh battery in! I've got various useful tools and connectors and wire of various sizes. Steve, if you get a chance grab a big roll of black insulation tape so that I can re-loom it all when its done. I will hopefully find my proper loom tape but just in case get a roll of the black stuff. i'll probably bring a couple of spare rear light units as well. if anyone has spare coils etc and dont mind throwing them in the boot then please do as you never know what might be useful. Also if anyones got any plugs they have cut off an old car then bring them too, they may be handy.

Oh, and Clive, I've got your mobile number off the Custom soloutions site, whens a good time to call, bearing in mind it'll have to be in the afternoon before 9pm as I'm on nights now.

Andy

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

I wish all who are taking part in this all the best I hope you all get alone and dont start tripping over each other or nicking each others spanners lol..

Im just gutted I cant come and help but then again the car would prob come out with a 16v shoved in, dropped and caged up and I would limp away with a slightly worse back.

But ho-hum good luck Andy hope the elecys are in better nick than the 400's were.[:D].

I look 4ward to hearing the stories and seeing the pixs.

mantamadhovells@yahoo.co.uk

I havent got a little saying

And im to think to post a pix of my cars

the spares i have....

front end

2.2 calipers and discs

passenger front wing in primer (with indicator hole - d/s doesn't have one)

rear light clusters (not checked tho)

stuff we need...

sheet metal for all the weldy bits... not sure what size..

rear arch repairs

full sills both sides...

Possibley fuel line if we get to changing tank(which will need doing as the car smells of petrol... can't believe i've never mentioned it before...[:0][:0][:0])

possibly some spare brake hose too just in case....

wires for electrics... they will be needed...

snd the important ones... Beer and Ciggys...

OMOC NE Area Rep... omocne@hotmail.co.uk

You have a new tank from ocp dont you ?

is it perfect ie: no dents etc ?

let me know because i have an ocp tank fully rustproofed and painted up.

i will sort the sills today and try to sort the arch sections, i will get prices and post them on here.

----All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be---

Think I've got some fuel hose, might even have some braided stuff lying around. I'll have a search this weekend. Brake hoses are usually pre made steve but I might have some copper pipe although we'll need the ends and the tool to make them. I've got loads of bits of wire. It might not be the right colours but it will work and I can always label up any wires we change.

Right i have got the sills and arches for you, the price was a very reasonable £47 PLUS the vat, which is near as dammint £56.00 pretty cheap for all those panels really.

i took a chance and ordered them anyway as the delivery is going to take a day or two, i didnt want them not turning up.

Steve, e-mail me dude !

i'm please you did!!! i looked at beever panels and it was gonna cost me £90 for both sills both arches and a wing rail ( the runner thing that the front wings attatch to ) plus delivery....

I'm trying to think if there's anything else I need...

the tank itself is perfect so if you wanna swap for the treated one I'll be happy with that!!

I will bring the pre rustproofed tank up, if you can sort me for the money for the sills soon that would be good as i am a bit skint at the mo !

Have we got a 5 litre tub of waxoyl ? it might be a good idea.

I have brake line and flaring kit and "some" new flare nuts (as they generally get knackered)

I have new Welder, just this minute picked it up, well not actually just this minute about 30 mins ago, old one is going to get a good kicking sometime tonight for the hassle it has been causing me, hmm but then again it has repaired umpteen cars that were destined for the breakers.

I will be bringing some thicker steel for various areas of the car,

2 Grind anglers so I don't have to keep swapping the sanding disc over to the cutting disc.

Plenty of sanding discs, and cutting discs Courtesy of Custom Solutions (not surprised I never make any money[:D])

Enough tools to strip and rebuild a car (apart from valve spring compressor, engine hoist, slide hammer, hub puller......... Well ok then perhaps not quite everything but I'm sure you get my drift.

Will have a rummage through my spares and see what 1.8 stuff I have left and what other Manta stuff I could bring that could be usefull.

So going back to plan of attack.

We.......

Gut,

Cut,

Grind,

Fabricate,

Weld,

And if anything else can be done whilst we are doing that it gets done.

I guess that when we get the car in front of us we shall just have to have a good look and see who feel best about doing what, and then just get stuck in, seriously hope we can show Steve just how easy it can be, and can't wait to let him have a hands on go of cutting the crud out of his car and doing some of his own welding on it.

As well as the mechanical side of things.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

The whole sills are £12 quid each !!! (plus VAT) it was better too get more than we need so we have spare sections of steel with curves and lines in so we can adapt extra bits to fit other areas. [8D]

I will be changing the tank by the look of it, anyone got any good tank straps just in case ?

I will bring the industrial hoover as well, and my brake pipe/unions and flaring tool. also my angle grinders and a good pair of tin snips.

Do we have enough welding gas ? that always runs out on me.

At a guess I'd imagine Chris has got hoists etc but we'll let you know if we need to borrow one. I'm going to bring a selection of standard tools plus a volt/amp meter, various crimping tools, crimps, connectors, wiring (although if anyone else has a variety of colours by all means bring it along!), electric drills and bits, grinder (you can never have too many!), a selection of nuts and bolts and anything else I can think of. If we need another welder let me know as i've got a fairly new mig if its of use. Had a chat with Clive tonight and he's going to bring his brake pipe tools as well so between him and Paul we should have that covered. i'll have a rummage in the loft over the weekend. Steve, if your interested I have a hatch exclusive rear bumper and the blanking panel. The bumper is red but the paint is very scratched but the bumpers not cracked. its yours for a token donation if you want it, I can bring it with me. Let me know.

Also can you please post a list of all the electrical issues you have so that I have a rough idea of what switches and bits I need to have a hunt for.

Thanks

Andy

right...

leccy bits...

Passenger side indicators keep cutting out...

No side lights...

Rear wiper really slow and sometimes doesn't work...

interior dash lights don't work (think i can sort that one but not had time to look!!)

can't think of anything else at the moment...

Andy... Thanks for the offer of a new bumper... I've actually got most of an elegance kit (still need to pick up the side skirts) just for some reason I can't get the metal brackets to line up properly... If I bring front & rear bumpers do you think we might get em fitted??? If we do I'd need you to work your sparky magic and sort out the fog lights & number plate light on the back... Need some new plates too...

Ok lets think.

With what you all are bringing we will have more tools than most garages.I just hope we still have room for the car.[:D]

I have a good selection of tool amasted over meny years,and should be able to cover most things. On top of this I also have, Engine hoast, Rollover cradle, fully installed compresser system, paint spraying tools, engine overhall tools. So I think we are well coverd on this front.

Parts wise,

General consumables, I think are covered.

Electrical, I have varius conectors and some wire plus blubs and fueses.

If there is anything we do need, I have a trade account at a local factors that are open saturdays.

Steve.

Just noticed that you say you hope to down with us around tea time.

Is there anyway you can get the Friday morning off work so you could be down middayish instead. It would just give use an extra 5 hours time and we can get alot done in 5 hours [;)]

Chris

Membership Sec.

http://www.mantacentral.co.uk

sigpic2.jpgBefore sigpic.jpgNow

Chris. Your workshop sounds the business! Air system, roll over cradle! I was chuffed with 3 plug sockets and a strip light in mine!

By the way, can you email me your address so that I can do a route finder for it. I beieve the club one is just a p.o. box address.

Cheers

Andy

I'll try again tomorrow but my boss was being a bit of an arse today...

I can't guarantee I'll get it off but hopefully I can... if that's the case it gives me a bit of time to pull some more stuff out of the car!!

I won't bring any tools cause it looks like i don't need any!!! not that I'll have the space if I'm bringing my bumpers and a petrol tank!!

whilst i remember... does anyone have a spare bolt for the rear bumper? just when I was collecting the kit one of them got dropped into the bodywork but i couldn't find it when i had a look....

Chris could you email me, P.Newport, Moon Monkey and d818anr your postcode please to ensure that we get to the correct place, not sure whether the postcode in Manta magic is for the PO box No.

Also Told boss I'm off to the dentists at...... Wait for it.....

2:30[:D][:D][:D][:D] He didn't seem to cotton on to that haha

I'll explain for others then 2:30 = tooth hurtee [:D][:D][:D]

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Hi guys,this is going to be one cool adventure,Mr.Monkey,i'm sure i've got a spare rear wiper motor somewhere,do you want me to drop it in(any excuse to come down)i know youv'e got all the bases covered,but i could always bring some sort of liquid refreshment with me,what do you think?cheers Paul (Birmingham)