we rescued Moon Monkeys Manta !!

d818anr

Thinking about it, a Manta is probably a good bet for a 1st classic (I'd hope so anyways as it's my 1st "proper" car). Early enough to be simple DIY for bods like myself 'n' steve but late enough to be generally reliable and still relevant.

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

Steer from the Rear

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:Originally posted by Moon Monkey

finally got tha fooker running again... i had the positions right but i'd done it clockwies instead of anti clockwise... Doh!![:I][:I]

yes... I'll be getting myself on a maintenance course....

bloody cars...

id="quote">id="quote">

look on the bright side you won't forget what you have learned during this in a hurry [:D]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Right i've finally managed to stick the hatch into my garage for a good poke around.

I was pretty much right with my previous description, but i have found one or two further things (as you do!)

There are a couple of new bits that aren't that good either [:(]

There was a small rusty patch on the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen, after a bit of a poke it revealed a hole.

It would really need the windscreen removing to repair properly which is going to throw a spanner in the plans i think [B)]

scuttle.jpg

I also found a couple of chunks of filler/ fiberglass over rust [:(!][:(!]

Including this lump of strawberry jam in the N/S lower rear 1/4 panel

jam.jpg

Which revealed this hole after removal

n-s%20quater.jpg

The other big bit of filler was in the O/S sill, where there had been a previous repair.

o-s%20sill.jpg

I also found 1 previous patch on the N/S front floor, above the jacking point area that was one of the rusty bits i'd allready spotted.

n-s%20floor.jpg

This is the inside view of the N/S A-pillar which i said needed work

n-s%20a-pillar.jpg

This is the outside view of the offside a-pillar

os%20a-pillar.jpg

The very rotten O/S jacking point/floor. Had a good poke in here but the chassis rail is still solid on the inside.

o-s%20jacking%20point.jpg

And a view of the roof

roof.jpg

So mostly what i had allready spotted but the scuttle panel and bits of filler added a bit of work.

Both sill's are only rusty bellow the 1/4 panel (rear sill not full sill would see it fixed) which means you could avoid working in the door jam area [:)]

The O/S sill will also need the inner sill upright panel repairing ( and a small bit on the midle sill), which can be accessed but is a little tight for space to cut the rot out i find. A narrow air-belt sander helps a lot.

I've lifted most of the sound-deadening from inside the front floor to check the floor condition (especially over the chassis legs, which are solid [:D])

The N/S rear floor has very bad surface rust as the sound deadening wasn't actually stuck to the floor and the moister had sat under it

ns%20rear-floor.jpg

After a wire-brushing i would expect this to be a hole [:(]

Clive: Its not the rear valance thats rusty, but from my earlier decription i can see why it sounded like that bit. Its actually the lower 1/4 panel piece which is rusty. They are just behind the rear wheels at the bottom front corner of the 1/4 panel. Shown here on the NS of the car (which had the filler in!)

n-s%20quater-s.jpg

These are mainly rusty on the flat bottom piece (like the sill but on the 1/4 panel) but have also gone rusty up the front (inside the wheel well) and inside edge (behind fuel tank- exhaust).

But unlike the coupe these bits are accessable from under the car (as it has a raised boot floor) However the N/S one will also need a small repair to the arch (about 2" from bottom edge)

Right i think thats about it for tonight, its getting late and i have stuff to do still before bedtime.

If anyone has more questions now they've seen the pics, or wants pictures from other angles, let me know.

The scuttle and a couple of other bits have increased the amount of work required to sort the shell and i do think that 1 weekend will not be enough.

But the shell is definatley fixable and if its decided that it won't work for moonmonkeys re-shell i will repair it myself for a different project that has come to mind [;)]

http://www.mantasport.co.uk

OMOC no:3325

I think the easiest fix would have been for Moonmonkey to buy my red hatch that was at Billing, That only made £500 in the end with 12months MOT and 6 months TAX, totally standard and solid aswell [:P]

Too late now though as its gone to wales with a newly converted Manta fan [:D]

bugger... I've been chatting with the mrs as I spotted Pat's cav saloon for sale at 400 ono... she quite liked it... as it's got MOT and Tax I'm thinking of going for that and learning to weld!!.. The mrs has a secret stash of cash... as they all seem to do!! and she said that we could buy the cav... and as for some bizzare reason it's as cheap to insure without my 3 years no claims as with them I may just go down that route and use my car as the "Experiment" and learn to weld... would still fancy meeting up with everyone and gain some damn good knowledge and try my hand at welding with instruction... but I can understand if this throws a big fat spanner in there.... like i say it's not confirmed that I'll be getting the car but as i said in the other section it would probably be best to get a second car to use as the daily and learn some engine maintenance on this bastard.... won't be so scared to do anything if I know i've still got a car running... will find out if I've got the cav a week on saturday...

If this tpic totally fizzles out and everyone hates me then I can fully understand... Like I say my girlfriend didn't tell me she had this money and wasn't planning on a second car initially... would still like to meet up with everyone and try to get things sorted and learn a few bit's and pieces... but the mad rush wouldn't be so necessary... though i will still need to get the car through the MOT...

Had a good poke around and the passenger side doesn't look too bad... the drivers side has problems front to back... the rear quarters look like they're ready to go now too... poo... going to try to get the front shocks changed during the week... on earlies so should get some time to do something... fingers crossed!!

OMOC NE Area Rep... omocne@hotmail.co.uk

Glad to hear you got your Manta going again Steve.

Getting another car would be a good plan,especially one closly related to your Manta,you wont have to relie on a car that needs lots of work so you can sort out one with the other under repair and vica-versa.

And of course it would be following in the tradition of the Manta club and its members,everyone should have more than one Manta (or related car)take me as an example or Pual from the Cornish Manta sanctury!

We could still do your Manta,after all it still needs saving and i am intrigued by the idea of trying to turn around a Manta in a weekend in the fashion of these TV shows like OVERHAULIN' ,if we dont do yours we may have to find another Manta just to give it a go!!!

South Midz Manta Bitz

Selling all sorts of parts for your Manta,we dont know exactly what we have got,but there's so much we probably have what you want!surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

A MANTAMAN Enterprize

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds and North Bucks,and now with added Hertfordshire!

I had a good look about underneath... and due to the many oil leaks generally it's ok... drivers side jacking point and floor obvioulsy fooked... the chassis rail asn't actually that bad at the front... tho I've not jabbed at it with a screwdriver...

passenger side jacking point on it's way but possibly not mot failure... the rest looks pretty decent... both sills will need looking at... and I think the rear quarters are starting to go... the front end can wait... still!! just really needs the floors upt o the a posts doing and jacking points, and sills... If we can just get enough for the MOT done as if I get this car it'll definatley force me to get my arse in gear and do some damage myself...

gonna start looking for houses shortly so hopefully will be able to get one with a garage or somewhere to put a shed to fill with rusty car bits!! I'm sick of being too scared to do anything with it!! but at least I'll still have something running while I pull it all apart!!

Steve. Its up to you fi we are going to do this but we need to make a decision soon as people have to make plans. In my eyes the main target was for you to leave with a car that would easily pass an mot, a car that was solid, reliable and a good basis for further improvement. Pimp my Ride and Overhaulin have been banded about but lets be realistic. they have a week+ in a purpose built pro workshop, with some of the best people in the trade, the best tools and a lot of money! We have a driveway, or possibly a small workshop, a collection of our own tools and a bunch of very keen enthusiasts. If you are still up for it I say we go for it. Lets repair your car rather than reshell it, make sure it can be driven home again, and its given you a great headstart on your project. If you are now feeling that you'd rather hold off for a while then just say.

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

that's the kind of thing i wanted to hear!!!

I've decided to fix my current car (sorry dave but I think it would be too much work for us all to reapir your shell and then swap the engine over)

If I can get it MOT worthy... not perfect... that will do me grand... Like I say the passenger side looks like the jacking point could be cause for concern but apart from the sills it doesn't look too bad... the sills don't even need to be that perfect cause of the body kit...

a few people commented on the doors looking a bit worse for wear... but again the body kit has door things (???) that would cover the worst...

I need to have another look at the rear quarters... they were a but rusty from the inside... (EEK!!) but from the outside look not too bad.... need to get the screwdriver out...

the drivers sice chassis looks like it may be ok.. .will need to have another look and again stab it a bit...

the roof I'm planning to leave for now... hoping to cut the rust out and just fibreglass where it's been chopped... but I'd need to sort out whatever's causing it... any idea's???

I'm sure there's other things that need doing but i can't think right now...

I'm planning to keep them both running (providing it goes through the MOT!!) but I'll be able to do bit on one and drive the other like mr virco said... I may even do the welding myself in the future!!

First off many thanks to David Howell (Mantasrme), for going to so much trounle for us all by having a good poke about and taking the piccies resizing them and posting them up along with a lenghty descrition and email/s.

The windscreen was the biggie, repairable, but basically it would need a bit of filler and then paint over the repaired area before the glass could go back in........... Simply not the time to do that.

And as d818anr and Monn Monkey both state, it has got to be the original car that gets repaired.

Very very pleased we all seem to be coming to agreement on this.

Right I've got to get off to work will have a good think and post some stuff up later.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Yeah no problem with not using my shell, as soon as i found the scuttle panel and filler i figured it would be a no-go.

Doesn't bother me i'll just fix it myself at my leasure [:P]

I won't be available to help on the 12/13th, but then i doubt i would have brought anything extra to those allready there

Moonmonkey: If you need any parts for the weekend i might be able to provide let me know as you'll be passing pretty close to Harrogate on the A1 southbound [;)]

don't happen to have a spare XE lying about going cheap??[:D][:D][:D]

only kidding...

Cheers for the offer tho dave... If i think of anything I'll let you know!! I may not be going past yours as I'll probs detour via stoke to get my sideskirts... I'll wait till after I've done that before I change the shocks over!!!

12/13 is fine, the beer is Bud, the fags is Cutters Choice rolling baccy with BLUE rizlas !!!

I will be coming with as many tools as i can bring, a good trolly jack and a gas anyliser and a timing gun, also a steering wheel puller (just in case) and an assortment of air guns/sander/grinders/etc.

Plus some parts of manta. (bits i think might be handy like)

All i need to know is where ?

----All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be---

quote:Originally posted by paulmanta

12/13 is fine, the beer is Bud, the fags is Cutters Choice rolling baccy with BLUE rizlas !!!

----All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be---

id="quote">id="quote">

what's the difference between the rizlas ? A buddy swears by green (I don't smoke BTW)....

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

Steer from the Rear

if ANYONE uses the silver they are blatent stoners!! the silver ones are sooooooo thin you can rip them just by rolling!!!

the blue ones are a bit thicker... and I think its green then red....

anyone else smoke or have anyother preferances for beer? I don't mind getting supplies in as you are all doing me a massive favour!!!

still trying to think of what else I need... should I be trying to get wheel arch sections and sills? or are we just gonna build them from steel? any other materials I'll need to pay for? welding gas? flux? hampsters? anything??

i'm sorting out the before pics at the request of one of my saviours!!!

anyone know where I can get a decent amout of web space.... just cause I'm gonna take as many photo's as I can!!! can still fit another 300+ pics on my memory card!!! gonna have to buy a better camera tho...[:(!][:(!]

just taken 153 pics!!! took 2 of everything on the two settings ( rose/man+mountains) cause if my camera was any worse it would be brown and sticky...

i can belive i'm going to say this... but I'd advise anyone toe get the new messenger!!! you can direct share folders on your computer with selected members of your contacts!!! i'm moonmonkey2@hotmail dot com...any of you guys helping me PLEASE get this... save me the time of having to resize all the pics and taking up a HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE amount of bandwith for the forum....

I was actually surprised at how good it all appears to be!!! the main problems with the chassis rails are the jacking points... forward and back they both seem pretty good...

my sills aren't as bad as i thought either... the drivers side one is really bad by the bottom corner of the door as you will see from the select few pics i will put up on here... d/s a post floor cornery bit it a bit scarey... but still seems quite sturdy as i couldn't get a screwdriver through it... i blame that damn plastic washer bottle... may have to get a better one made!!![:P][:P]

inner wings at front end are going a bit... d/s has gone...

all 4 jacking points are slowly destroying my car... inner arches look good at the back...

pics to follow...

Why not host the pics at uploadit or photobucket, and then just put a link to them here? That will save bandwith on this site, but still allow anyone who wants to see them to do so.

omoc 5660

Cambridge & The Fens Area Rep.

ppca.jpgppcsh1.jpgppcm.jpg