OH Dear!!!!!

Toni

Clive, after all that clearing out and you buy another one! Good luck with it mate. I know, lets set a weekend aside, all come round with our tools and welders and do it in a weekend. Aggghhhh! Did I just say that! Seriously though mate, if I can help and you fancy having a bit of a big hit on it (after Christmas though!) I'd be up for the crack!

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard membership no: 3783

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skoobysoo, I post early on as I get up at about 6.30 and have a look at the site before work. Sometimes I'm home early or have gaps between jobs (I'm a self employed plumber) so I have a bit of time during the day. I'm currently having the week off (my first time off since mid September) so my posts could be made at any time.

Despite its obvious "potential for less rust" Clive, that car still has the classic 'B' look about it. Flipping beautiful (even if it's not a Silve....[:o)][;)][:D])

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top of Google.

Well thats certainly a PROJECT car if ever i saw one. But knowing clive's work it will be a hell of a transformation before its finished.

When i first started reading this thread i thought you might be making a 400 replica of the shell (knackered arch's and wings on a coupe allways sugest a 400 to me [:)]) as i know you've mentioned it a couple of times before. Might even have been convinced to part with my spare 400 kit for such a worthy project [;)]

http://www.mantasport.co.uk

OMOC no:3325

Well I removed the bonnet yesterday, as it really is the worst bonnet I've ever seen in my life.

Replaced with a reasonable spare one, which has some slight damage at the edges, but all else is very good on this bonnet.

If you look at the pic you can see the original bonnet in the background, apart from being rusty as hell underneath it is covered in bad dents.

bonnet.jpg

Here is a bit of a pic looking down the rest of the carin the daylight, doesn't look too bad now with most of the moss removed.

But believe me it is bad.

day.jpg

Removed the lights yesterday and the headlamp wash wipe and associated tubes and wires out of the engine bay, as well as the washer bottle, knackered bumper, air filter housing and a few other shagged parts, all to go in the bin.

Also fished out the boot lid that was off of the same car as the bonnet, may actually go and get this stripped and sprayed in a mo, and get this fitted out of the way.

will also go and find my only set of rear lights...... IF I STILL HAVE THEM simply gave so much stuff away over the years I've hardly got anything left for myself now I need it.

Also got the full sills and arch repair panels coming tomorrow.

Beever Auto Panels phoned me to tell me the lowe front panel I ordered was no longer serviced, 8ugger, gave 2 of these away in the last few years.

Also tried jacking it up using one of the jacking points at the front[:D][:D]

Was actually doing all right until the bit that goes into the hole on the jacking point started to change to the pointing down sort of position.... oops.

Will be using the original square lights, I was given a spare good one, and an inside gubbings with good reflector so I need to sit down and mess about with the stuff I have and cobble up a good pair, and will attempt painting the inside of the lights silver (not the reflector part).

Just thought to add, I don't think I need the full sills, just the rear section.

As I'm not going to be fitting skirts to this I want to keep the bodyline as close to original as possible, so will use the arse end section of the full sill to mate up to the arch repair section.

Other reason is that often the arch repair sections are far too short to fit in the original place at the top of the arch and finish at the correct place on the sill, so using 2 repair sections like this I should be able to keep the original lines, not going to be easy, but will take time.

Current expense

Car £97

Ian Virco £30

Repair panels £60

Heck up to £200 already ERK![:0][:0]

East Midlands area Rep. email opel2000@ntlworld.com

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Never mind adding up the cost Clive, how many bottles of Bud have you got through so far?

You said in one post your bining various bits you dont want,if you do want rid of anything B series thats usable throw into my boot when i'm up your way not the bin!

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Ian the things that are getting dumped up to know are......

Broken washer bottle.

Knackered headlamp wipers

Rotten bonnet

Dreadfully corroded wheels

ETC. ETC.

There is nothing of any use going to be dumped.

Mick, the doors on this are not too bad at all as far as I can see at the moment, I do have 1 spare door but you can gaurantee if I have the need to replace a door it will be the side I haven't got.

Typically when I started on the bootlid yesterday, I found the lock would not come out, now I haven't got a bloody clue how the bloke who owned the 1.8s Auto coupe (that this boot came off) had actually managed to get the lock through this piece of steel and fit it through the bootlid as well.

Needless to say it was work I could well do without.

lock1.jpg

lock2.jpg

lock3.jpg

Really can do without the need to be messing about with knackered old panels, but what choice do I have

OMG clive you're a glutton for it, but what's going to happen to her ?

Did ya drive the Flatbed - I did recently from Crewe for over 5 hours - traffic was bad and Ian and I had to unfold ourselves from the Bedford - could hardly stand up straight - great and useful thing it is [:D] but comfortable it aint!

Are you going to start on her straight away and have it for Billing '07 - just kidding..... suppose I shouldn't have siad that tho'[;)]

Cheers,

Simon.

1987 2.0 GTE Hatchback

1971 Opel Commodore Coupe

Old Mantas never die, they just get faster !

TBH Stoneymanta I wasn't going to touch the car at all until April time.

But just been poking about under one of the arches.

And found this upon removing the wheel.

arch%201.jpg

But with a typical B series, a quick flick over with a wire brush will generally show most if not All of the crap under here to be surface rust only.

arch%202.jpg

Basically the car really isn't as bad as I first thought/expected.

Chassis rails and floorpan is bad and one of the rear arches are bad on both sides, one just bad on the outside.

I have now sourced all the panels I need to get the body sorted, just need to get them sprayed fitted, and of course the first task will be to get the welding done.

Not really a huge task in my opinion, just time and time more than money

quote:Originally posted by opel2000

But with a typical B series, a quick flick over with a wire brush will generally show most if not All of the crap under here to be surface rust only.

id="quote">id="quote">

as apposed to C/Exclusive ? [;)][:(]

OMOC 5885

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

How to post Images

clive... i think you need to go electric with the boot now there's no lock... get one of them fancy solenoids that pop the boot with the press of the button...

expect an email from me shortly... need to be sober to send it though so it won't be tonight!!![:P][:P][:P]

beta127.gif

OMOC North East Rep - Kinda....

Was actually thinking of fitting a cable release or a solenoid, I do have the gubbings off a MKII Cav stored away to do exactly this.

But the idea is to keep as original as possible, quite bloody difficult when modding is the easier option.

Anyway lock is all sorted now

lock4.jpg

lock5.jpg

Hello mate, yes Chris it sure is the same colour as the SX

Camera flash has distorted the colour a litle, should be a bit darker in real life.

Got too much done here really, I have other priorities that have got a little neglected this week.

quote:Originally posted by Moon Monkey

clive... i think you need to go electric with the boot now there's no lock... get one of them fancy solenoids that pop the boot with the press of the button...

expect an email from me shortly... need to be sober to send it though so it won't be tonight!!![:P][:P][:P]

beta127.gif

OMOC North East Rep - Kinda....

id="quote">id="quote">

or a internal cable release such as from an XR2 ?

OMOC 5885

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

How to post Images

You can use the boot catch mech off a 85ish senator with a solenoid mounted to the boot lid next to the catch.

The senator has two catches, both on the bodyshell rather than the boot lid, i have used these on all the boot releases i have done (7 or 8 now) and they work faultlessly and are a direct replacement.

-----People, don't you understand

The child needs a helping hand

Or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day-----

looks like a good car clive,not to much rot,but that could soon change as we all know to well,how about being a little differant,keeping car almost standard but with a little moddern touch ,as most cars get highly modded now,any way mate good luck with the car and that lovely v8.

gary

Hey Clive, Simon Peckham told me that someone in a Skyline came to the workshop while he was working on my Manta, and they had a quick measure to see if a Skyline engine would fit. It does, but they're really heavy lumps, wouldn't it mess up the handling a lot?

81146adocevilmz8.gif

Hey Joe, how are ya?, car should be finished this week, the calipers finally came (waited nearly four months fot some hi-spec calipers, won't be buying them again!!). All being well at The MOT you will have it back real soon,

I did have a measure up on your car back in September when a Skyline came in for this and that[;)]. It will fit a treat, it's a fair bit shorter than the usual Vauxhall straight six conversions and it's soooooooo tunable.

Suffolk County Mantas. Engine conversions,Customs,

Full restorations, paintwork. http://www.suffolkcountymantas.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Well been having some long hard thoughts about what route this car is gonna take.

A few deciding factors have been.

Could do with a good reliable, simple powerful daily driver, in order to afford the luxury of not being scared to take the SX off of the road for a month or 2.

Whatever engine route I take has got to be cheap.

And possibly by using parts I already have.

And would like to do something really different.

So current line of thinking is fitting a 2.0S engine, that should be pushing out approx 150 - 160 bhp by the time I've finished, and No I'm not fitting a turbo, if all my ideas come off then this really will be something else, still got a lot more research to do.

But on the idea that I have the problem was the dizzy would be in the way, so it is going to be removed and a DIS system fitted.

Very very excited about all this, just a bit annoyed that I've gave loads of stuff away such as fuel pumps and injection stuff etc. As now I need it myself I have to go and find the stuff. [:(][:(]

If my plan goes to, errr, plan this week I'll have a pile of spares off an injection CIH. If yer interested, I'll let you know if it comes off or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

Thanks Shug, that is very good of you to offer. But I did find a lot of stuff this afternoon whilst looking for 2 Manta No. plate lamps/holders (Now fitted to the 200SX 2 weeks before MOT and the bloody Nissan ones fall to bits...... Hell of a job[:(][:(][:(])

Anyway, plan for the car is..........

Supercharged 2.0S

Dizzy is in the way of the supercharger, otherwise there is so much room on the spark plug side of the engine.

The cylinder head is strong enough and empty enough on this side to have holes drilled and tapped to support the supercharger mounts.

Other supporting mounts will come from the engine mount bolts.

With Dizzy gone, I'll be using a Megasquirt ECU and a Distributorless Ignition system.

Supercharger will be driven from belt off of an altered Camshaft pulley which shall also have a toothed wheel for a sensor pick up for the ECU.

Supercharger will pass air forward to an intercooler, and then either straight to the inlet which will have a throttle on, or the throttle may come before the supercharger intake, not too sure what route will be best here yet.

Megasquirt ECU uses a MAP sensor basically this senses the air pressure in the inlet manifold just before it goes into the combustion chambers, so the restrictive airflow meter is simply done away with.

Still need to look into ignition retard against boost pressure etc, but the whole megasquirt system is totally mappable by yourself, and uses pretty much any sensors out there on current cars in the breakers, this was the downside for me when I looked into doing this before as you had to spend approx £400 for an aftermarket ECU, and then you had to buy the same aftermarket ECU manufacturers sensors, which soon added up to far too much.

Well that's the plan.

Just need to weld it all up and order some paint and get stuck in.

However, things are not too good for me here in Leicester at the mo.

Just have no idea what my future holds from one day to the next, as such all my plans could go absolute tits up big time any day, you'll soon know if things have gone tits up, there will be a V8 Manta on Ebay.