Silver hatch now a 2.4 B coupe

pma

Well a few weeks ago I finally managed to get the car started. It seems there was some confusion about the green wires coming out of the injection loom. It was assumed that because the coil was supplying the green wire to the tacho as per standard on the car, the green wires out of the injection loom were 'extra'.

Apparently NOT! The green wires must actually feed back to the ECU because when I bridged them to the other green wires it fired and ran immediately!

Now I have a new problem, the engine fired and ran for aq while but when I turned the engine off it refused to restart. It was acting like it had been flooded and sure enough if I disconnected the fuel pump live the car would fire and run for a few seconds. If you timed it right on reconnecting the live to the pump the engine would continue running but not very nicely at all.

So the latest theory is that the 2.4 injectors on the later vauxhall fuel rail are indeed heavily overfueling the engine.

Today I dug out the original 2.2 injectors, ultrasonically cleaned them and replaced all the fuel pipes with new ones. Fitted new injector plates gaskets and replaced all the rubber injector seals with new ones and bolted it all down. This time it wouldn't start at all so I think maybe I've got the feed and return pipes around the wrong way. I put the pump direct to live and I was not getting any fuel returning to the tank.

Weird but I looked in the manual and the exploded diagram seems to show the fuel pipe entering the bottom pipe in the fuel pressure regulator? The other pipe has a disc in it with an in and out for the fuel pipe, anyone know ehat this is?

I ran out of time today so I didn't get chance to change them over so will try again maybe tomorrow..

• 2 months later...

As a quick update while I'm here...

I did get the pipes the other way round and hey presto fuel then ran. I've hardly had any time on this over the last couple of months but I still can't get this restarted.

Just a thought, Darren (devil fish) had a problem with his i200 where it would start, overfuel and refuse to restart again, turned out to be a small air leak and the throttle switch settings were all over the place. Have you checked that, I couldn't believe such a basic thing could cause such a seemingly big problem on his.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, not sure, anything is possible I suppose as I couldn't get new seals for the 2.4. Since then by the way Paulmanta told me the 2.4 injectors should be grey- but mine are orange??

Anyway got an update, I finally managed to get the 2.2 injectors to a test rig and it seems that 3 of them are dead! I must have killed them when I submerged them in the ultrasonic cleaner tank - note to self only put the end in the solution! :brick

My hopes are now high that when I dig out some more GTE injectors (Paulmanta says these are the same as 2.2 ones - I wish I knew!) and get them tested and cleaned the car SHOULD run like a dream!

Watch this space.......

• 2 weeks later...

Well out of supplying 2 full sets of injectors for testing and cleaning only 4 were working? These were all working when removed and have been off the cars for 2-3 years in carrier bags with the injection stuff. So in that time they became U/S!

Now I have a full set back I'll be plugging them in when weather allows and trying for a restart on the car ....at last

My productivivty toward the cars is zero too. Its cold, VERY wet and in order to work on one car i have to evict the other, the other car is the Ascona and I dont subject that to rain let alone this monsoon of sleet and horror that we have had for the last few weeks.

My big workshop is full of trucks that are being worked on and other trucks not in use but hiding from the rain. Grr.

I hate the weather too !

Enjoyed reading about your 2.4 conversion. I assumed your drilled a hole in the block for the rear mounted dipstick...did you reuse the Frontera metal water pipe that fits near the back of the exhaust manifold? The 2.4 exhaust manifold is a similar shape to the GTE one but has larger ports, so would be a good upgrade for a 2.0/2.2 GTE engine. To further increase power and torque consider using a cut down 3.0 manifold and throttle body, will give a 10-15 bhpincrease. If you use a Jag 4.2 air flow meter another 5-10 bhp when used with a K&N filter direct on the meter............Another mod, use a 3.0 Monza oil filter, which is about twice the capacity of the manta one...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd drop back in and pop a few more pics on.

Heres an update...

Got the car running OK, turned out to be the fact I used the 2.4 temp sensor in the thermostat housing. Made the car run incredibly rich. After that I had problems with a kind of misfire, adjusting the cam and then adjusting it some more seems to have cured this problem. I need to adjust it some more though as the car has lost some power, however it is still very quick! I also had a problem where the revs kept rising and wouldn't remain constant. I had already changed the idle control valve for a second hand one, this time I bit the bullet to the tune of £120 :o and got a new one. Problem solved.

MOT revealed a sticky caliper so I freed up one side and bled them, then freed up the other side. Unfortunately whilst bleeding them and freeing the pistons one of the pistons came out too far and wouldn't go back in! After snapping a pry bar on it I decided to root through my stock of parts and came up with:

* rebuilt 2.2 Carlton calipers

* New cross drilled and vented 2.2 Black Diamond discs with Predator pads

* Superflex anti roll bar bushes

* Jamex 30mm lowered springs

* New old stock Hub back plates for a Manta C (essential for caliper clearance)

I fitted all this and was feeling very pleased with myself until I went to put the wheels back on- they wouldn't fit! Schoolboy error I know, so I bodged it initially with spacers but then managed to come up with a nice set of 17s that I think go with the car quite well. I would have preferred 5 spokes but I'm happy with these :thumbup . Yesterday I managed to fit the rear belts so it will be safe for my kids. (Thanks Black GTE :thumbup )

Heres some pictures...

DSCF9432a.jpg

DSCF9409a.jpg

DSCF9440a.jpg

DSCF9417a.jpg

DSCF9441a.jpg

DSCF9443A.jpg

This Manta has turned out excellent, the black wheels go well with black roof and i bet with the big engine it goes as good as it looks.

Having seen this car before you started the project i'm pleased it's become such a good Manta, It was a OK Manta but really a B series auto is as about as exciting as cold poridge,you've retained the general look of the car yet made it into the Manta it should have been to start with.

Thanks for the comments :thumbup . Gradually there will be stripping and refinishing of the suspension components, the front lip spoiler carefully fitted and probably twin headlamp conversion with uprated H4 and H1's to bring night time lighting up to scratch. The vision all along was to have something reliable and useable in modern traffic and enough under the bonnet to blow away the unsuspecting.

I do have the full supercharger conversion in the garage but I think it might make it just too much for an everyday car.

Whatever happens I'll have to get her along to a few shows next year

• 3 years later...

Really...3 years, its been 3 years since I updated this!- or more sadly did anything with the car. Looks like all the old photo links have gone as well.

OK, well not really a car update but just to let people know Im still around in Brighton and I still have 2 mantas (the only mantas I have actually seen for years).. So if you are local then feel free to message me and look me up!

Recently moved home and had a baby but hoping to have home garage space sorted over the next year. Then I can get the 2.4 flying machine polished and back on the road..or maybe its the hatch's turn? !

Im good thanks James and Clive,

I opened up the lock up for the exclusive hatch I have and it showed me another car desperate for a little TLC. This one I have owned for 20 years and for just over half that time it was my everyday car. Im going to get rid of that lock up so this one is going to be moved to another nearby. I've already noticed I borrowed the injector relay for the 2.4 and one of the injectors was disconnected to remind me it wasnt working! She will live again....

Im considering a Hanson workshop, purely from the point of view that its built and finished in one day once you have put in a hardstand yourself. Im not sure how the cost translates to having one built out of blocks to a size of roughly 30' x 30'. Its looking roughly 14-15k for the Hanson without the base!! its a lot!!

• 7 years later...
11 hours ago, H-400 said:

Man, this is a flashback! Look at my first Manta almost 40 years back:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

@Roy: Enjoy it, grts Herman

Mine had a vinyl roof too, 1978 1.9 Berlinetta Auto coupe 😎 you colour was cooler though Herman, mine was beige 🙈😂😂

On 18/09/2008 at 21:20, Roy said:

Well a few weeks ago I finally managed to get the car started. It seems there was some confusion about the green wires coming out of the injection loom. It was assumed that because the coil was supplying the green wire to the tacho as per standard on the car, the green wires out of the injection loom were 'extra'.

Apparently NOT! The green wires must actually feed back to the ECU because when I bridged them to the other green wires it fired and ran immediately!

Now I have a new problem, the engine fired and ran for aq while but when I turned the engine off it refused to restart. It was acting like it had been flooded and sure enough if I disconnected the fuel pump live the car would fire and run for a few seconds. If you timed it right on reconnecting the live to the pump the engine would continue running but not very nicely at all.

So the latest theory is that the 2.4 injectors on the later vauxhall fuel rail are indeed heavily overfueling the engine.

Today I dug out the original 2.2 injectors, ultrasonically cleaned them and replaced all the fuel pipes with new ones. Fitted new injector plates gaskets and replaced all the rubber injector seals with new ones and bolted it all down. This time it wouldn't start at all so I think maybe I've got the feed and return pipes around the wrong way. I put the pump direct to live and I was not getting any fuel returning to the tank.

Weird but I looked in the manual and the exploded diagram seems to show the fuel pipe entering the bottom pipe in the fuel pressure regulator? The other pipe has a disc in it with an in and out for the fuel pipe, anyone know ehat this is?

I ran out of time today so I didn't get chance to change them over so will try again maybe tomorrow..

Good to hear from you Roy...I like the look of the earlier Bs

• 1 month later...
On 30/11/2020 at 21:33, 611 said:

Looks nice 🙂

How is the old 2.4 running?

Andy

Absolutely fine thanks mate. She is now put away in the dry for the winter!

On 30/11/2020 at 22:34, H-400 said:

Man, this is a flashback! Look at my first Manta almost 40 years back:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

@Roy: Enjoy it, grts Herman

Very nice! The ones we let get away :( very sad

On 01/12/2020 at 10:53, GTEPETE said:

Good to hear from you Roy...I like the look of the earlier Bs

Me too much cleaner and classic chrome bumpers. Although the 80s plastic bumpered cars are very much of their era and are fantastic in their own right! 👍

12 hours ago, Roy said:

Absolutely fine thanks mate. She is now put away in the dry for the winter!

Very nice! The ones we let get away :( very sad

Me too much cleaner and classic chrome bumpers. Although the 80s plastic bumpered cars are very much of their era and are fantastic in their own right! 👍

Good to hear. Still trying to run mine in but its not easy with the old lockdown! Trying to use mine as much as i can this year (apart from when they have been gritting!) roll on the spring and maybe a bit more freedom for some Manta motoring 🙂