ASCONA!

stradacab

Laquer flatted down again to put final coat on.....

IMAG0284.jpgIMAG0286.jpgIMAG0288.jpg

The finished product! Will be polished Friday and delivered back on Sunday. Front spolier and filler flap will be done today.

The best part of any project- fitting it back up!!!

IMAG0290.jpgIMAG0292.jpgIMAG0293.jpg

Arrived back in Bristol today, Master Automotive seem to have done a splendid job with it.

Started to fit it up tonight- and try to remember where I have put some bits I haven't found yet!

IMG_1657.jpgIMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1664.jpgIMG_1665.jpg

Will keep you posted as it comes together...

Spent another evening out there tonight, you forget how much trim and stuf goes into a car.

For example, there are 25 pieces of metal trim and badges fitted to the car, and another 60 odd clips to hold them all on, and I still have to fit the weatherstrips and arch trims.

The nearside doors are all waxoyled, built up and door card fitted., will get the others done tomorrow probably.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to see a bit more body glass fitted?....

IMG_1683.jpg

OK, I know it's not massively impressive but it's taken me all evening, my wife (God bless her) out there in her pajamas helping me fit the screen and then an hour fitting the chrome insert with a screwdriver (can't find my bloody fitting tool) whilst trying to make sure aforementioned screwdriver doesn't go screeching across the freshly painted panels....

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted the rear seats and put some speaker wires in beneath the carpet for my period stereo. All the fiddly bits like seat belts, roof aerial, rear view mirror etc etc. Since then I've been in the engine bay, must take some pics but the servo is back in and the pipes all connected, not got round to bleeding yet. Refitted the sound deadening, wiper motor assembly washer pipes etc. The wiring loom has been cleaned and replaced and all the connections hooked up, next job is to pop a battery on it to see if anything happens!! BOOM!

Been working on the front bumper too. Wanted to fit the fog lamps to look like OE but my manual is too early. I think/assume they mount to the front panel, didn't want to cut the front spoiler and drill two gurt holes in the metal so have made two brackets and welded to the frame of the bumper instead. I had to post a pic as it came out exactly how I imagined it- I'm well pleased!!

IMG_1684.jpg

I still need a green tinted windscreen if anyone can help me.....

Next job is to refit the front seats and clean the dash, also need to get some weatherstrips for the door glass too and press on

Edited by stradacab

• 3 weeks later...

Update time...

Have put the front seats in, got the remote boot release working and had a great result with the front fogs. Found two set of fly-leads in the front harness so assuming they were for front fogs wired them up, then pulled the dash and found the plug taped to the loom by the speedo cable. Popped a fuse in no 10 and a relay in the relevant place and bingo! all working- Brilliant.

Arch trims cleaned, fitted and front ones modified to accept the front spoiler.

Degreased and steam cleaned he engine bay and painted the rocker cover.

Tonight I cleaned the rear arches and sprayed with body schutz over the new metal I'd welded in.

Whilst the wheels were coming off I thought I would try the 15" Classics, I don't want it to look too modified but not sure if it looks "over wheeled" on 15's?. Compare with the front on 13".... Was thinking if I go with 15's maybe it could do with a 20mm drop?

IMG_1776.jpg

Edited by stradacab

Got the spoiler off Paul Newport, he has another spare one that he was thinking of putting on his Ascona but I think he's gone all purist now and he's staying original.

You could try a pm to him or they do come up from time to time on German Ebay too.

Thanks for the spoiler/ fog lamp comment- I think it looks superb too, had to search hard to get the correct model lamps.

Edited by stradacab

You could also ask Paul Newport what other nuggets of treasure he found while we were in Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As they say if there is something to find, in a hidden dark corner somewhere in a very very large warehouse, you can be assured that Paul N will fing it.......... :thumbup