JacksTurner

Hi jack,

is this not your 2nd hatch which you paid good money for, that you replaced the not as good as it looks first one with.:blink:

Whats the other car your looking at,presumably its another manta.:unsure:if it is get a fellow (experienced) club member to check it out and appraise it mate.:thumbup

You will not have much trouble selling your hatch at that price that's for sure.:blink:even with the welding,which most manta's need unless they have had a long holiday at retropower that is.:lol:

Edited by evo3000

I  reckon you have finally realized the only manta way is coupe:lol:no offence to hatch club members.:P

Must admit I'm a bit curious about the surprise bit mate,tell me your not jumping ship at getting a f*** e*****.

Whatever I just hope you end up with a sound motor that will serve you well.:thumbup

Jack I thought the hatch you have now you paid mint/ top money for which was about 6k.:blink:correct me if I'm wrong.

So I'm surprised that it needs all this welding tbh:wacko:

This is why I said about getting a club member to go with you to look at your next car mate,as you seem to be going round in circles.

Only trying to help.:thumbup

Your new car isn't down South anywhere is it? I could pick it up for you and we could meet half way so I can buy this hatch off you! :lol:

Can't wait to see what you're getting next. Even though it's not a Manta, I hope it's something that's going to be a lot less stress to run for you and obviously in the future, most of the remaining manta would have to be either 'properly' restored and or long term garaged examples, save these nasty shocks you're getting with hidden rust.

Where are the people who were vouching for the condition of this car when it was with the second dealer that Jack bought it from? A shame so many started slagging me off on the facebook page when I questioned the value both the dealers had on this, as a club member I'd have expected at least some kind of moderating on there, hence no membership renewal.

• Like 3

Will you be staying on this forum Jack, or has your new purchase took you in a completely different direction.

It is a shame you have been put in the same situation again as your first Manta, and it has left you with a sour taste. Lets hope your next vehicle brings you the joys of driving. 

Enjoy the Colt Jack. I'm sure one day you'll be in a position to have a Manta as well as something more modern and then you'll have the best of both worlds. I wanted a Manta as a kid and didn't get one until I was 36 so you're ahead of me.

• Like 1

Your new car isn't down South anywhere is it? I could pick it up for you and we could meet half way so I can buy this hatch off you! :lol:

Can't wait to see what you're getting next. Even though it's not a Manta, I hope it's something that's going to be a lot less stress to run for you and obviously in the future, most of the remaining manta would have to be either 'properly' restored and or long term garaged examples, save these nasty shocks you're getting with hidden rust.

Where are the people who were vouching for the condition of this car when it was with the second dealer that Jack bought it from? A shame so many started slagging me off on the facebook page when I questioned the value both the dealers had on this, as a club member I'd have expected at least some kind of moderating on there, hence no membership renewal.

Dont forget the Facebook is not aa official club page so you can now rejoin the club ;-) 

• Like 1

Its an opel ma...mitsubishi:Dfair play jack I never expected that,it looks well sporty and with almost 200bhp,to coin a phase.. that will be an absolute pocket rocket for sure.

Hope it serves you well mate:thumbup

Incidentally who's bought your manta? is it a club member.:mellow:

Edited by evo3000
  • Like 1

Looks a cracking car Jack, i like jap cars especially from the seventies, eighties & nineties.

My Mrs has a Toyota Aygo & i drive a Mazda 5 company car so luckily The Manta & Ascona are my summer fun cars.

Now if you'd have bought this Colt ............................. :wub:

20150208_102453.thumb.jpg.e6864068f7c95b

Hopefully one day you will own a Manta again. Are you planning to still come to Billing this year ?

• Like 1

Yes I bought it, went to collect it last night and had a scary journey over snake pass. My Brother Andy drove it home and it performed faultlessly.

Jack described the car very honestly and after getting over the pit at 11 PM last night I'll give a honest appraisal too.

It's a very nice hatch, it has been painted in the past but it is a nice job. The rubbing strips have been removed and the heads taken off. The car may now need a full repaint. 

During the inspection we looked inside the filler neck and unbelievably there was a spare opel key hidden:o Been there a long time as it was slightly rusty. A quick polish and it works the door and ignition. It's a single key fits all car.

The interior has been looked after by Jack and I'd say it's one of the best I've seen. All original books and paperwork. Air-con dash so it's a late D reg, unbroken grab handles

The roof is good and the top of the car is rust free, underneath  is another story.

The rust and holes evident underneath it haven't appeared in the 6 months since the car received a MOT, holes filled with balls of masking tape and filled over with fibreglass, silicon, bits of anything to hand. It's going to need stripping out and about 40 hours welding ( that at a garage alone would be £1600 ) Complicated repairs at the bottom of the B post infront of and where the seat belt lower rear bolts into 

The axle has a chevette spring pan on one side? The front springs are broken or soft so it's on bump stops. Needs 4 shockers too

The clutch is low so possibly just an adjustment on the pivot in the box, wheel bearings sound rough. Oil leak from somewhere yet to be found and possibly a prop seal

It was very wet last night so we have yet to see evidence of a fuel leak, I expect one. It would take over 2 thousand at a garage to get it back into the condition it deserves to be in plus parts and a possible paint job to add to the cost.

I will do a restoration thread on it, I believe it was for sale at a dealer. I'd love to see the original advert as this car hasn't turned in 6 months.

It will be for sale once we have turned it into a great car

Edited by Kevin Abbott
typo
  • Like 10

I knew this car very well indeed, when the late Harry Brown owned it. It was kept on the road regardless of cost. Not sure about time scale to be honest, but Harry was told he had to surender his liscence then unfortunately passed away. 

Mom one of his last visits to the pub meet at our old venue I reversed the car for him. The interior was spot on and the engine was as sweet as the cih came. 

I advised Jack on this and also that it had had some paint on back quarter as Harry skidded off the road on ice. 

As most of us know, leaving any manta outside or even inside doing nothing is not good for them. I know from the price it was originally up at the first dealer that it had been stood outside for some time. 

I'm  afraid when paying good money for one of these beasts, there are certain places that we all know we should look ! 

Mom shocked about the bodge jobs you refer to Kev, as all Harry's work was  done by his local dealer, who he bought it from as new, I can only assume that less reputable dealers had tried to cover tin worm up as they were asking such a high price for it. 

Surely any manta that has been used to a certain extent and not mothballed needs or had needed the welder by now ? 

I had forgotten about the spare key trick of his however Kev. 

Sad that you have parted company with it Jack. I'm afraid we need to face facts,  that unless you are prepared for an ongoing battle these beasts are just not for everyday use. For those that do we salute you ! 

PS, I was one that advised Jack on the Facebook page, I advised him truly and I am sure that once Kev has saved his wand over it, this car will be a stunning hatch, both underneath and up top. Cannot understand why image Facebook thread caused someone to leave the club ? Unless they were looking for an excuse ? 

Edited by 16valves-V-Turbo
Mispelling
  • Like 4