Loobie’s coupe

Paul Barrett

As some of you will be aware Im the new owner of Loobie’s exclusive coupe. 

Really pleased I bought it. Had no intention of buying another manta, but when an opportunity arises and you have the money it has to be done! 

The car is great, drives so well and smooth, such a difference to the A series of mine which is pretty raw to say the least! 

IT just needs cosmetics to improve it further. 

Biggest job is a new roof. Which Mick threw in as part of the deal! It has a clip sunroof mod but deserves some attention as do the lower pillars around the screen where there is bubbling. A wing which was also grown in.

rear arches need a little attention but haven’t gone, a hole in the boot floor needs patching up. 

Plan for paint is to do in sections when spare funds arise and doesn’t keep it off the toad for any length of time as this will be the backup car when the A series is off the road

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

A little thing that I’m sorting, the steering wheel. 

Sourced a replacement irmscher centre pad, it’s jot mint but cleans up well.

and I’m going to attempt to recover it, have the kit which was dirt cheap, but I think will give the wheel a new lease of life and make it that bit chunkier for my fat hands! 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 7

On 19/07/2019 at 11:09, Paul Barrett said:

Sourced a replacement irmscher centre pad, it’s jot mint but cleans up well.

and I’m going to attempt to recover it, have the kit which was dirt cheap, but I think will give the wheel a new lease of life and make it that bit chunkier for my fat hands! 

Out of interest, how is the steering wheel cover attached? Do you stitch it or is it glued in place? 

Before doing that, it might be worth attacking both the centre pad and rim with some black shoe polish (Cherry or Kiwi as was) have used this on a well worn leather jacket and it made a hell of a difference! Only problem would be if the existing stitching is red. It won't be afterwards! 😊

BTW, well done on your purchase! Not sure I agree with you about changing the alloys, but I dare say you will be keeping the Ronals safe and sound for the future. 

Wheels on. Need longer bolts for centre caps

I may go for some chunkier tyres though to fill arches more. The rear is going slightly lower. 

Also the callipers and drums need a lick of some go faster paint as they are looking scabby behind the spangly paint. 

Yeah about an extra 40mm on diameter with the 215/50, so that would help filling the arches.

i can’t remember what my new cars 17s are , but they don’t fill properly. Possibly the profile is too low again.

i think around 600mm diameter.

Edited by Jessopia74