Ex Ian Virco Red Rocket.

ANDY ABBOTT

27 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Great to see fast progress, as usual, will make a great car when done, with exclusive looks, should sell well, well deserved save.

Does it have bronse tinted windows? Euro spec red gsi seats would be the dogs. 

Yes it has bronze tinted windows as its a GTE

More work done. Great progress today with Dan. Chassis work finshed off, lower rear arch chopped out, cleaned up, inner structure repaired, treated, zink primed. New section let in. Passender A post closing panel rot cut out, patch fabricated, welded in, ground back, treated and zink primered. Lower rear arch rot chopped out, all welds dressed back and more cleaning of the under side done. More parts stripped off the engine and been given a good scrub in the parts cleaning tank. Meanwhile kevs been working away on his manta cossie in the back room 😬

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Quite a lot done to this over the past few weeks. Most of the welding is now complete, engine stripped, prepped, painted, head ready to go for testing and a light skim. All the black gunky sound deadening removed with heat gun and a scraper to reveal very good floors including the boot, all removable panel prepped and primered ready, doors, side skirts, bonnet, boot. Next stage is to spend a couple hours finishing the welding then, prime and paint the underside and start running the new lines in etc...

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Looking as good as always, what happens when you run out of mantas to do?

Do you clean the whole underneath of the car with an air drill and paint abrasive head? Seen the drill in a pic above. 

A mixture of tool is used, heat gun, scraper, grinder with wire wheel in, roloc, da sander with 80 grit paper.

• Like 1

As a close friend of Vircos, he'd have been elated that the car's been saved and completley overhauled. I do recall the rear axle was in dire need of a rebuild given how noisy it was, but can't remember if it was swapped out. Either way, if it helps any, I can put you guys in contact with the team at Gripper diffs for a good plate style LSD if you wanted to upgrade it. 

I was lucky enough to pursuade Ian to part company with the 1800 coupe he rescued and got the V5. That car is being dry stored with the premise to be built as a tribute to Mr Virco so seeing his 'Red Rocket' being restored to better than i remember is a fitting tribute to his memory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ian N said:

As a close friend of Vircos, he'd have been elated that the car's been saved and completley overhauled. I do recall the rear axle was in dire need of a rebuild given how noisy it was, but can't remember if it was swapped out. Either way, if it helps any, I can put you guys in contact with the team at Gripper diffs for a good plate style LSD if you wanted to upgrade it. 

I was lucky enough to pursuade Ian to part company with the 1800 coupe he rescued and got the V5. That car is being dry stored with the premise to be built as a tribute to Mr Virco so seeing his 'Red Rocket' being restored to better than i remember is a fitting tribute to his memory. 

Hi Ian hope you’re well. 

We are going to put another axle on it as I remember you and a couple of others mentioned the nosey axle. Hopefully it will start to be on its wheels in a few weeks or so. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Hi Ian hope you’re well. 

We are going to put another axle on it as I remember you and a couple of others mentioned the nosey axle. Hopefully it will start to be on its wheels in a few weeks or so. 

Would be a good idea, as mentioned, give me a buzz if you want to try and get a LSD setup installed, Gripper have a good plate type on offer that's a straight bolt in job bar shimming / setup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian N said:

Would be a good idea, as mentioned, give me a buzz if you want to try and get a LSD setup installed, Gripper have a good plate type on offer that's a straight bolt in job bar shimming / setup. 

If it was a keeper we would look into it. But sadly it won't be staying. 

• 3 weeks later...

Welding complete, primered/sealed up, ready for the under body protection and cavity protection next. Then tomr to start running in the new fuel and brake lines whilst it's on the spitt

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...