Ex Ian Virco Red Rocket.

ANDY ABBOTT

So another project has happened 🥴 this one me and Danny have decided to restore together. We have worked on each others cars and helped each other out over the years but never done a full resto together till now. With our combined manta knowledge and capabilities we are expecting this to be pretty straight forward and turn out great once finished. Dan found this car and knows more of its history than me, so I'll let him add some of the back story. I'm looking forward to this one and should be a very special car once finished. Progress has already started and I'll continue to upload as we go along. On the whole the shell is really good with only minimal welding in the usual swan neck/chassis rail areas. With the exception of the odd little patch in the floor pans and a small repair to rear arch that's pretty much it for the welding. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Opps no Idea how it ended up in the tech help section 🥴

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Will look forward to watching progress. Looks pretty tidy. No MOT history so presumably been stored away for years. Being red on a D plate, presumably it's not an original Exclusive. Not that it matters. 

It's actually an exclusive before exclusives was released 😉 although irmscher exclusives was all D plates but mind you no red ones 

Project thread now started in the correct section 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT

The car was owned by the legend that was Ian Virco. I don't quite know when Ian acquired the car as no logbook has landed yet but it was last on the road in 2005 and was put in a barn to preserve it before it started to become rusty/rotten. If memory serves me correctly the car was bought new in 86 by a company to be used as a company car by one of the employees, as it was a GTE with the rarer brown Recaro seats the person who would be driving the car (who went on to buy it off the company) asked if he could pay the dealership direct and spec the car to look more 400/Exclusive - hence the narrow type Irmscher spoiler, quads, black wheels and rear bumper. It was rarely used and lived in a garage most of its life from the early 90s and then subsequently in a barn for 16 years from 2005 which would explain why the shell is so good. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

You’ll need to repair the boot floor if you lift the front any higher! I put the rear wheels on ramps and then I only need the front 500 or 600mm from horizontal.

Good luck with the resto!

It was only to get the running gear out. Will be getting done over a pit and on a rotisserie 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

You’ll need to repair the boot floor if you lift the front any higher! I put the rear wheels on ramps and then I only need the front 500 or 600mm from horizontal.

Good luck with the resto!

Boot floor is fine, we have done this many a time with no issues its precession work 😉😀

Floors looking good with only small patches required in the usual spots over the jacking points 

• Like 3

• ANDY ABBOTT changed the title to Ex Ian Verco Red coupe.

A little bit more stripping of the underside today so we can make sure theres no hidden nasties under there. Really suprised so far. Once it's all stripped to bare metal I'll start getting the new chassis in.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 8

• ANDY ABBOTT changed the title to Ex Ian Virco Red Rocket.

Great to see it getting saved lads, always liked the red exclusive, black wheels, green tinted glass. 

Mr Virco would be blown away at this progress, a bit of a dark horse, any idea how many mantas he owned? Remember him selling a early b, 1976, and it slowed in progress and project dissapeared? Shame he didnt get to see more of his saves get put back on the road, Ian was the one who travelled in his old beford recovery collecting these up, saving them from the crusher, when they where not sort after. 

Great project, keep her lit!

Great to see it getting saved lads, always liked the red exclusive, black wheels, green tinted glass. 

Mr Virco would be blown away at this progress, a bit of a dark horse, any idea how many mantas he owned? Remember him selling a early b, 1976, and it slowed in progress and project dissapeared? Shame he didnt get to see more of his saves get put back on the road, Ian was the one who travelled in his old beford recovery collecting these up, saving them from the crusher, when they where not sort after. 

Great project, keep her lit!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...