400r project (it may look familiar)

lewis p

So this probably  won't be a fast project but wanted to post a build thread so i can keep a track myself .

A few weeks ago we did the deal so on Mon myself  and owain popped to pick up my new purchase  and had an obligatory brew butty and natter before  the long drive back....

Obviously some of the hard work has already  been done. Plan is to build  motorsport esq but with some road creature comforts.

However this is what I collected and am over the moon have hankered after a 400r for years.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Aaaaah so you got it then! great stuff. 

I hope you will be the one to finish it this time as i have seen this car in about 3/4 different hands. "Go Lewis!"

Cheere Danny.

Yep drove up from the nec on Sunday was at Rabs Mon morning  then drove for about 8 hours back. 

It will get done eventually definitely 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So yesterday I kovednsomenof the spares that came with the car into another garage to make some room and turned it round to make a start investigating and seeing  where we are at .

Removed the wings and front bumper got jacked up and unsurprisingly found the Swan necks need some work...

Hopefully get back to do some more on Mon so can jack the rear  and start getting  alist of things I need together. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lewis p said:

Removed the wings and front bumper got jacked up and unsurprisingly found the Swan necks need some work...

My chassis legs are in a similar state after being standing for quite a few years. The car is with someone who is repairing them for me at the moment, not the work it originally went for :(.

I will have to start stockpiling some chassis legs, floor panels and jacking points etc, for another rebuild in a few years, if I decide to keep the car.

This is the nature of the beast when these chassis especially the later ones start to show corrosion in the usual places.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 11:45, lewis p said:

So yesterday I kovednsomenof the spares that came with the car into another garage to make some room and turned it round to make a start investigating and seeing  where we are at .

Hopefully get back to do some more on Mon so can jack the rear  and start getting  alist of things I need together. 

Glad to see you have got this and are doing some work on it. 
Manta rust.  Chassis.  You can cover it up but it will always come back to bite you.  No point having nice paint if it’s fucked under it.  
Cut out the rot.  It’s hard.  Well worth it though and will out live your ownership.  
wing it and it will haunt you 😃

• Like 1

Are you going whole hog with new chassis legs or outer repairs.

If you look where the chassis leg meets the bulk head, there is a drain hole into the chassis leg, plug it, this was opels plan to sell you a calibra 10yrs later, they should have made a bigger hole.. :0

great save, will make a nice car.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Eckhard from germany said:

Hi guys,

please look the attached files for new chassis legs for Opel Manta / Ascona A / B.

Friendly regards

Eckhard from germany

chassis-leg_info_A_21_2.pdfUnavailable

chassis-leg_info_B_21_2.pdfUnavailable

Sadly those docs are not available to anyone but yourself. Only pics seem to work properly @Eckhard from germany . Can you host them on a one drive or something? Failing that DM me and you can email them to me and I will upload them for you.

• 1 month later...

I have been looking for chassis rails also, these look perfect.  I found the PDF docs are available on the About Me page of Eckhard's profile.  

https://forums.mantaclub.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5790

https://forums.mantaclub.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5791

Cheers.

Ken.

• Like 2