2.0SR to GTE - injection loom

Nivlek2525

Hello all,

I'm converting an SR to a GTE engine. I'm struggling to work out where the injection loom enters the car. I know the ECU goes in the drivers side footwell but there is nowhere obvious to drill the large hole to feed the loom through.  Trawled the forum and Google looking for a photo. Would anyone be able to take a picture or describe the location before I start drilling?

Now I'm starting to put stuff in the car that was never there in the first place I'm struggling a little bit.

Many thanks

23 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Hello all,

I'm converting an SR to a GTE engine. I'm struggling to work out where the injection loom enters the car. I know the ECU goes in the drivers side footwell but there is nowhere obvious to drill the large hole to feed the loom through.  Trawled the forum and Google looking for a photo. Would anyone be able to take a picture or describe the location before I start drilling?

Now I'm starting to put stuff in the car that was never there in the first place I'm struggling a little bit.

Many thanks

Also, is this the correct fuel pump bracket for a coupe?

16922916390525303605119204157660.jpg

Been a while, but think it is behind washer bottle, although I did see another low on bulk head, beside swan neck, but this may have been a Opel mod, or a owner mod. 

Either way behind the washer bottle, but up a few mm, have you the loom grommet, think the hole is big to allow head of ECU through. 

Is the pulse damper damaged, bracket looks right. 

10 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Been a while, but think it is behind washer bottle, although I did see another low on bulk head, beside swan neck, but this may have been a Opel mod, or a owner mod. 

Either way behind the washer bottle, but up a few mm, have you the loom grommet, think the hole is big to allow head of ECU through. 

Is the pulse damper damaged, bracket looks right. 

Many thanks evo03. Much appreciate. 

Yes, the pulse damper has had a wack to the inlet. 

I just can't seem to find enough space above the axle (where I believe it needs to be) for it to fit without clashing with something.  

16923428150311411176867912941041.jpg

7 hours ago, eldoradoCoupe said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pQUB9uUdZKXDeuMA9

Big hole above and to the right of the the steering column exit through the bulkhead (looking from engine bay side). 

Many thanks Roger,  just what I needed. The bends in the loom and length of it made me think it was around there but just couldn't convince myself there was enough room. Looks like the servo is coming off again...

You've also answered my next question I think. The two holes on the inner wing, I assume they are for the flow and return fuel lines?

Thanks again.

K.

Yeah just above and to the side of the steering column for the loom hole.

Thats a Hatchback fuel pump bracket you have there the coupe one looks like this

spacer.png

Its mounted on drivers side of the crossmember behind the axle tunnel. The one that blends into the panhard rod chassis mount. On an injection car there are 3 tabs (or even a Y shaped bracket with the 3 ends hung over the edges of the box section) with a large hole in the centre of it. Its directly behind the 2 holes for the fuel pipes to go through from the boot. Which i seem to think are dimpled to show their location even if there is not a hole on that shell.

The 2 holes on the inner wing are indeed for the fuel pipes into engine bay.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mantasrme said:

Yeah just above and to the side of the steering column for the loom hole.

Thats a Hatchback fuel pump bracket you have there the coupe one looks like this

spacer.png

Its mounted on drivers side of the crossmember behind the axle tunnel. The one that blends into the panhard rod chassis mount. On an injection car there are 3 tabs (or even a Y shaped bracket with the 3 ends hung over the edges of the box section) with a large hole in the centre of it. Its directly behind the 2 holes for the fuel pipes to go through from the boot. Which i seem to think are dimpled to show their location even if there is not a hole on that shell.

The 2 holes on the inner wing are indeed for the fuel pipes into engine bay.

Can you still get the little rubber dampers that hold it up? 

on my 2.2 conversion i put the entry hole grommet behind the washer bottle area (a little above as mentioned to help with water).seemed abetter place than any other but that was a carlton loom anyway which may ? be different length to a manta one ?. it does fit well and seems to flow well cable length wise. the position down by the servo may well be the correct place but it does get hot down there ?

the correct pump mount bracket may be getting hard to find now in unrusted condition so a self fabricated one may be a better bet if you cant find one. the support bobbins are freely available on ebay . maybee even go up a size for extra security .you wont notice any real increase in pump noise .

and if the damper is indeed damaged ( not so much the bend but more a case of rust leakage) then yes they seem to run ok without them but gm went to the trouble of making and fitting them so it must do something ! i would fit one when you find one . other cars may well have  similar units. jaguar,bmw,etc ? ?

• Thanks 1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o3xcb2EnaiHD4NWx6

Also took a more up to date pick showing loom in place. Splits immediately after exiting bulkhead. Main relay, throttle switch and afm connectors go drivers side and the rest goes the other way, few cables go behind engine, including thick power cable to stater motor 12v, and a plug to join the main loom. Rest goes up over the inlet manifold for injectors, sensors, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks all. This is really useful stuff.

The loom I have isn't long enough to go behind the washer bottle so the location next to the servo and the steering column look right. I've stupidly installed the engine, manifolds and servo but I've had a look from the inside and thanks to OPEL knowing this particular car would later be converted to injection they dimpled the bulkhead. Result.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tmQ7vmSdKgNZGqD19

I'll measure the grommet and see if i can cut this from the inside with a holesaw to save me taking everything out/off. So thanks again for the photos, i would never have found this.

The holes for the fuel lines are also dimpled on the inner wings. Again, i should have drilled these before i painted it but i just assumed they came up through the engine bay. I can drill these and get them touched up so they dont rust. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c1hECG5u9Z6WE1qt8

Ive now got a plan for the front. The rear isnt quite as straight forward. Ive only got a carb tank so i think i need to source a injection tank or install a return and do without a swirl pot.

also, with the pump bracket being wrong i think ill need to make one up. Looks reasonably ok to do. 

Either opel didnt think to dimple the rear of the car, or the 7 or 8 coats of chassis paint if put on have covered them up. 

On the drivers side I have this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j7tAmUc6cYN14Pcx7

One large hole and one smaller but only through the outer skin of the box section  and possibly an indication of a dimple. I think this must be where it goes.

On the passenger side of the car I actually have a hole all the way through to the boot.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Cd9VMzmDcsHTbM2A

Possibly the outlet for when the car was on carbs?

I have 2 holes in the crossmembers all the way up the car.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9U7govybjeoJsrHW8

Are these where the fuel lines go?

Finally, what is the extra 'thing' on the coupe fuel pump bracket (circled) as i don't have one of these.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7JAhbgtcNwhGkYtg7

Again, I really do appreciate all the help and photos. Things really seem to have slowed down on this and I'm desperate to make some progress. 

Cheers.

K.

Edited by Nivlek2525
Typos
  • Like 1

Sourcing of a coupe GTE tank is 100% recommended, they are plentiful due the fact they don’t  corrode (unlike the hatch). Carl should have one, but if you get mega stuck lmk. 

Funny your car does not have the bracket in place already for the pump mounting, but it’s not that hard to make a sub frame and weld in anyway. As you say just a shane it now has to be retrofitted after paint, hindsight is not a lover of us car enthusiasts 😂 Does you car have the holes in the O/S jacking point for the fuel pipes though? 

Its not 100% necessary to run the pipes through the wing, I piggybacked both my Feed/return for a ‘carb’ modification, but it did make it a bit tricky to connect as they was brought along chassis leg well behind the exhaust manifold, but ofc still sits above the Dowpipes. Just be careful and do not rush it, safety safety safety here! Fuel leaks kill cars with everything hot and fuelling the same side 😬 

Extra thing is inlet filter, whilst pulsing dampener is not necessary,  100% pre filter. Try an buy it with the injection fuel tank. As the feed pipe from tank is quite a larger diameter anyway, iirc 12mm. Check this thread for more info and possibly alternatives 

. Used to be a guy on eBay selling CNC alloy ones, but I can’t find them now -but be prepared to be shocked at the price of new OEM ones 🫣They was a Bosch LE-Jetronic specific thing, not just to Opel so was fitted to a few different Manufacturers like VAG and Alpha . 

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been looking at the floorpan of an early B (as i have one on a spit in my unit) there are no dimples in the rear for the fuel hose holes. However if you look inside the boot you may find several round and oval dotted outlines in the sound deadening pad. That mark various options for different models. The larger horizontal oval one on the right that i've started to peal up is where the fuel pipes normally go through.

bootfloor.thumb.jpg.def6f0befff5d9f577b9fe0c31a7b9ea.jpg

Original style pipe grommets are available from https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/?a=1747&lang=eng as are the inner wing grommets (and many many other nice things)

The hole into the boot you have on the passenger side and that is also in my picture is indeed for the original carb fuel line that runs up the passanger side of the car, as the pump is on that side of the engine.

That large hole in your box section on the drivers side matches up to the larger central hole in the bracket in Mickfrads last 2 pictures. That Y (ish) shaped bracket is welded onto the box section for injection cars then the 3 rubber bobbins are fixed to that and the fuel pump bracket to give some isolation from noise transfering to the shell etc.

The extra thing is a pre filter as said, alloy modern ones are available in the original shape/style from https://www.krause-rennsporttechnik.de/shop/themes/kategorie/detail.php?artikelid=7093

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2023 at 14:06, eldoradoCoupe said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o3xcb2EnaiHD4NWx6

Also took a more up to date pick showing loom in place. Splits immediately after exiting bulkhead. Main relay, throttle switch and afm connectors go drivers side and the rest goes the other way, few cables go behind engine, including thick power cable to stater motor 12v, and a plug to join the main loom. Rest goes up over the inlet manifold for injectors, sensors, etc. 

Made some good progress today and this photo was really useful. A great help. Cheers.

On 18/08/2023 at 19:27, Jessopia74 said:

Sourcing of a coupe GTE tank is 100% recommended, they are plentiful due the fact they don’t  corrode (unlike the hatch). Carl should have one, but if you get mega stuck lmk. 

Funny your car does not have the bracket in place already for the pump mounting, but it’s not that hard to make a sub frame and weld in anyway. As you say just a shane it now has to be retrofitted after paint, hindsight is not a lover of us car enthusiasts 😂 Does you car have the holes in the O/S jacking point for the fuel pipes though? 

Its not 100% necessary to run the pipes through the wing, I piggybacked both my Feed/return for a ‘carb’ modification, but it did make it a bit tricky to connect as they was brought along chassis leg well behind the exhaust manifold, but ofc still sits above the Dowpipes. Just be careful and do not rush it, safety safety safety here! Fuel leaks kill cars with everything hot and fuelling the same side 😬 

Extra thing is inlet filter, whilst pulsing dampener is not necessary,  100% pre filter. Try an buy it with the injection fuel tank. As the feed pipe from tank is quite a larger diameter anyway, iirc 12mm. Check this thread for more info and possibly alternatives 

. Used to be a guy on eBay selling CNC alloy ones, but I can’t find them now -but be prepared to be shocked at the price of new OEM ones 🫣They was a Bosch LE-Jetronic specific thing, not just to Opel so was fitted to a few different Manufacturers like VAG and Alpha . 

Jess. I'll keep an eye out for a gte tank. Thanks for the advice. I've seen a few over the years for ok money but they are bulky to post. I do travel around the North of the country with work so I may be able to pick one up on my travels.

I'm going to bring the fuel pipes through the wings and get the proper grommets as suggested. Agree, not worth taking the chance.

The pre filter is interesting. Is it just to protect the fuel pump?

Would something like this work?

https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/sytec-motorsport-hi-flow-fuel-filter-with-12mm-tails-pre-filter/

Cheers again. 

K.

• Like 2

On 19/08/2023 at 16:51, mantasrme said:

I've been looking at the floorpan of an early B (as i have one on a spit in my unit) there are no dimples in the rear for the fuel hose holes. However if you look inside the boot you may find several round and oval dotted outlines in the sound deadening pad. That mark various options for different models. The larger horizontal oval one on the right that i've started to peal up is where the fuel pipes normally go through.

bootfloor.thumb.jpg.def6f0befff5d9f577b9fe0c31a7b9ea.jpg

Original style pipe grommets are available from https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/?a=1747&lang=eng as are the inner wing grommets (and many many other nice things)

The hole into the boot you have on the passenger side and that is also in my picture is indeed for the original carb fuel line that runs up the passanger side of the car, as the pump is on that side of the engine.

That large hole in your box section on the drivers side matches up to the larger central hole in the bracket in Mickfrads last 2 pictures. That Y (ish) shaped bracket is welded onto the box section for injection cars then the 3 rubber bobbins are fixed to that and the fuel pump bracket to give some isolation from noise transfering to the shell etc.

The extra thing is a pre filter as said, alloy modern ones are available in the original shape/style from https://www.krause-rennsporttechnik.de/shop/themes/kategorie/detail.php?artikelid=7093

David,

Thanks for doing this. Much appreciate. I have the same cut outs in the sound deadening in mine. That together with the hole in the cross member I should be able to locate the fuel pump etc pretty well. This is a big help.

When I drilled out the dimple on the don't bulk head with a 50mm hole saw it matches with a similar perforation in the bulk head rubber which I just popped out so now the loom grommet is installed it looks like it has always been there. Result. See photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i1g2LpDBKPdRn7wx7

Thanks also for the links to the prefilter and the grommets etc. Looks like I'll have to get an order together.

Cheers

K.

23 hours ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Made some good progress today and this photo was really useful. A great help. Cheers.

Jess. I'll keep an eye out for a gte tank. Thanks for the advice. I've seen a few over the years for ok money but they are bulky to post. I do travel around the North of the country with work so I may be able to pick one up on my travels.

I'm going to bring the fuel pipes through the wings and get the proper grommets as suggested. Agree, not worth taking the chance.

The pre filter is interesting. Is it just to protect the fuel pump?

Would something like this work?

https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/sytec-motorsport-hi-flow-fuel-filter-with-12mm-tails-pre-filter/

Cheers again. 

K.

I am travelling between Hull and Dundee frequently with work too, so If that helps lmk

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

I am travelling between Hull and Dundee frequently with work too, so If that helps lmk

Hi Jess,

Di you have a tank you could spare? I'm in Sheffield a couple of times a month. If you had a tank you were willing to sell I'd be happy to take a detour on my way home to pick it up. 

I'll send you a message with the dates I'm down that way. Just let me know if any of them works.

Many thanks

Kelvin.

17 hours ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Hi Jess,

Di you have a tank you could spare? I'm in Sheffield a couple of times a month. If you had a tank you were willing to sell I'd be happy to take a detour on my way home to pick it up. 

I'll send you a message with the dates I'm down that way. Just let me know if any of them works.

Many thanks

Kelvin.

Yes can help you with that I think. DM me with dates as I am only home a week or two a time currently so can align 

• Thanks 1