B580 OEA I200

ANDY ABBOTT

Seen this pop up on Facebook and had to have it. I've restored many cars as most of you will know but never done an i200 yet. I've not actually seen the car but have been sent a load of pictures. It doesn't look too bad for the most part but does require aome bits of welding, a full respray and all running gear stripping, painting and rebuilding. Engine will most likely be stripped and gone through too. I believe the car is well documented and well known in the club. The car at the moment is still in ireland bit hopefully will make its way back to the UK in the next week or so. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, seanpren said:

By any chance did a fella named Barry own that? Heard your orange one is on the way across here too. Will be good to see it in the flesh, well done getting an i200 for the collection 

I'm not sure if anyone called Barry owned it. Yes orange one went accross last Sunday 

Now in its new home soon to get a full restoration 

• Like 5

This i200 is another one that is very well know to the club and is very original. Most of you will remember the previous owner, Helen who designed the club Rally jackets and helped out with the committee for a number of years. She took the car over to France with her when she emigrated and sold it on to someone in Ireland, where it has changed hands a few times in the last few years. 

Not long after I bought my own i200, I travelled up to meet the owner of this car in Walsall (would have been about 1990). He was a sound engineer working at the local BBC radio station iirc, and a fellow petrolhead (and metal head), so we had a meal and a pint and chatted about the cars. It was great to see 2 i200's parked next to one another in the car park. The car doesn't look all that different to when I first saw it nearly 35 years ago! (Bloody hell that makes me feel old).

• Like 9

9 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Typical Manta, all the hidden rot under the under seal, sure your get it all sorted spot on, nice to have an i200.

I'll make you feel better once i start my next resto (Exclusive) hopefully before the end of the year, hopefully i'll get more than a bucket of rust back from the blasters 🤞

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of acid dipping, plus three won't be a lot left to dip by the time I've finished  untying the rot out 😆 Few hours last lights seen the drivers side inner chassis rail made up, jig fitted, hole located, sleeve installed into the inner rail for lower fixing bolt. Also lots of rot chopping. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Saw all your video's on Youtube, realy impressive how fast you work. 👍 Did you check the tubes of the jacking points? I used them also (klokkerholm) but noticed later the original Manta jack doesn't fit in the small tubes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/10/2023 at 11:47, H-400 said:

Saw all your video's on Youtube, realy impressive how fast you work. 👍 Did you check the tubes of the jacking points? I used them also (klokkerholm) but noticed later the original Manta jack doesn't fit in the small tubes. 

Hi mate. Yes I'm aware of ghat but there's not really another alternative plus not many people will be using the original jack in this day and age. 

• Like 1

hi. just watched the videos. excellent work here and fabrication. 

nice that the shell wasnt bad for the tinworm from the start ,just the usual areas around where we all expect now .like the chassis inner fabrication. great method.

and yes agree regards the jacking points. they need fitting obviously to look correct but not many of us actually use them. all my cars now carry a scissor jack in place of the oem unit.