Project "J"

stradacab

Thanks for the suggestions.

The car has a set of to styles with virtually new tyres so the plan is to blast and paint then.

The idea is to keep the car looking as original as I can, the Irmscher spoiler was a period accessory you could have bought from the catalogue in your Opel Dealer. The fog lamps are the same make and mountings that the dealer would have fitted too. The sunroof was a bit of a compromise but I wanted one and it is a kind of period mod (and a much easier better roof than a pop up one)

I couldn't do ATS classics otherwise it will look like I'm pretending it's an SR, I agree with Mantaman on the white ones for this car. I have never thought about banding though, that might be an option to keep the correct look but give a twist. Must look into that cause those Rostyles look superb.

Been trawling the worldinterwidewebnetwork and found a thread on Retro Rides that explains Banded Wheels very well -

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/38107

Also there is a member of this forum that does Banded Wheels and he is recommended by other users

http://retrorides.proboards.com/user/3274

What i will say if go this route is keep the offset, which i think on a Manta Rostyle is 25mm and on a Ronal is 30mm so anywhere between them will be alright. Your width limit will be the clearance to the damper, which might decrease with suspension compression.

If the offset is changed then the 'wheel load' will not be centered over the bearings and it can do strange things to the steering which would be ashame as handling is a Manta's great virtue.

I think I'd keep the offset and go for adding the band on the outside to give a more aggressive look if I go down that route

Glad my post was maybe of some use...... you are completely right, maybe banded rostyles would be the ticket, keep the extra width to the outside, fills them wide arches, I always thought mantas have too narrow wheels. Especially gte's.

Think your car would look the dogs with 8inch bands.

Edited by brady

go for adding the band on the outside to give a more aggressive look

keep the extra width to the outside, fills them wide arches

NOT GOOD !!!!!

At both ends of the vehical if the offset is changed then this excerts leverage on the bearings as oppsoed to a dirrect load, this can cause rapid bearing wear or even total bearing collapse and the posibility of the wheel / hub detaching itself from the car.

At the front changing the offset will upset the relationship between the Steering Inclination Angle ( Kingpin angle ) the center of the contact patch of the tire., this means that instead of the imaginary line of the steering joints lining up with center of the contact patch it falls inside this, the wheel when turned by the steering travels through a radius and effectively makes the wheelbase shorter on one side and longer on the other causing the car to pull to the side the steering is turned.

• Like 1

NOT GOOD !!!!!

Yeh, but look at how good it looks!!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/villing/DSC_0037-5.jpg

Yeah, lan, but.......

Ive been running ten yrs, never any problems, yet! If anything 8 inch ats , alleycats, allow bigger brake choices, 2.2 vented carltons / impove handling by giving it a bigger footprint, stability, road holding, and allow to lay down wider 11's!!

Edited by brady

If anything 8 inch ats , alleycats, allow bigger brake choices, 2.2 vented carltons / impove handling by giving it a bigger footprint, stability, road holding, and allow to lay down wider 11's!!

And provided they are the same offset they will not give you any trouble

I think the GT-J looked good when it came out of the factory, initially i would keep it as original as possible & then later look at getting/borrowing a spare set of  wider rostyles to see what it looked like.

The GT-J was a fairly low spec cheaper Manta  with vinyl door cards, de-chromed, no rubbing strips etc. James is trying to re-create the factory look but with the addition of period accessories that could be fitted at the time e.g. the boot spoiler, front fog lights & sunroof. 

Originally James was going to fit ATS classics (available as an option from new) but when we looked at the original sales brochures from the time, the GT-J just seemed to look right on rostyles (with no chrome rings)

I'm not a great fan of the stretched tyre slam it into the ground look but on a modified car it can work.

Yes agree with rostyles on a gtj, or alternative wider 7 inch or 8 inch ats classics. Firm believer in period wheels, wider versions of stock wheels. To suit period of car.

Looking a picture below, this manta would look just wrong with narrow, spindley standard rostyles, ok original, but wrong!

http://www.klasyczny.com/wp-content/uploads/koniczynka-650x435.jpg[/url

http://www.klasyczny.com/wp-content/uploads/remont-manta-05.jpg

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/slater3333uk/wheelbanded4.jpg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/slater3333uk/wheelbanded4.jpg

James they are just wheels, and as rapiddave said above, can be changed anytime!, several times, One thing, always keep your standard wheels!

Edited by brady

Offset the same. Remains unchanged! Two rim backs, joined.

NO IT DOES NOT !!!

If you make a wheel wider on one side only then you have moved the center line of the wheel relative to the bolt face, hence changed the off set.

As I was going through the boxes I found about 5 old tax discs that were stuck to the screen when the car arrived in 2008. Packed them away and didn't give much though but finding them made me think that the car was registered at the beginning of 1981 and was last used July 98 so by next month the car will have spent more of its life off the road stored than it was actually on it!

image_zps4wvo11vi.jpg

Meanwhile I finished the brake lines with a new old stock limiter and a very slight modification. Thanks to Dave who gave me a bleed the other night and now the car has one complete system on it that is finished and works.

image_zpsezahyj3m.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just a brief update. Work continues on the engine bay with the detailing seemingly never ending

Meanwhile, Chris Thomas provided a much better set of bumpers and rob has sorted me out with a nice clear glass windscreen so I thought I would take a break and do something which looks like I'm making progress. Repainted the brackets and treated the plastic with Platsogel then fitted the number plate I bought last week at the Bristol Classic Car Show.

image.jpg1_zpsv9erumnm.jpg

• Like 2

Sorted the front bumper, the cover Chris gave me was the best but the bar was bent so I put the cover on the best bar I had . Brackets painted, indicators fitted and wired along with the front plate.

Quick end of night snap.

image.jpg1_zpsep3npqzx.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I always quite fancied painting my 400r in the original GT-J colour, reapplying the GT-J decals and putting banded rostyles on to fill the arches (I think i'd need 15" ones though). 

Loving the look of yours though, it's a credit to you!

• Like 1

At some point, and I don't remember why, I decided I would fit central locking. So my most recent work has included building up the doors to see what space remains to fit the solenoids. Being an old car I thought there would be a few permutations on offer but the door is surprisingly narrow. The best I could do was make a bracket to position it thus....

image.jpg1_zpsurztklwl.jpg

image.jpg1_zps90qcmr6a.jpg

The kit is for a 4 door car so I removed the rear door wiring, taped up the whole thing and laid the locking loom as close to the original as possible.

The CU lives in the drivers footwell, I still have to sort the other loom and splice it in and I will come up with a way to protect it from winter ingress just in case

image.jpg2_zpsrqzdzcne.jpg

Going to bed now and the Ascona is all loaded because tomorrow afternoon I am leaving for Billing so hope to see you there.

• Like 1

After all the total $H!T i have had with my Carlton central locking i so glad to be back in my Manta for the weekend, so i will be in no hurry add more random electrics to any of my Cars !!

See you at Billing tomorrow !!

• Like 1

At some point, and I don't remember why, I decided I would fit central locking. So my most recent work has included building up the doors to see what space remains to fit the solenoids. Being an old car I thought there would be a few permutations on offer but the door is surprisingly narrow. The best I could do was make a bracket to position it thus....

I bought a kit for mine to as I wanted the car to have a few subtle modern features thrown in, but yes when I went to fit the solenoids I was surprised at the lack of space, it was either fouling on the door trim or the window itself, plus no holes in doors for the wiring.......so did as any self respecting man would do and put it in the 'to hard bin'  :)

I will revisit it though and copy your mounting position ;)

Here's a couple of pics for wiring the door

Two lengths of wiring loom tube, the fairly heavy kind slid through two grommets. Can't remember the size but the fit snug against the tube and the holes in the door and pillar are maybe 15mm. I chose this point because that is where the two skins of the door frame and strengthener meet so you get a decent hole to fit the grommet.

If you are using a cone drill you will need to take the door off or, like me, have an empty door meaning you can drill from inside the stripped door

This takes the 5 wires for the solenoid and the speaker wire (but that's it) a but of grease on one grommet means the door slips over the tube, pop a cable tie round the other end inside the a pillar

image.jpg1_zpsyqze733s.jpg

image.jpg2_zps3pjaiv4d.jpg

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 1

One of the first things I did to my Manta was add remote central locking

Its a must have accessary   :thumbup

None of this sticking keys in doors and twisting, then leaning over to unlock passenger door while they standing in the rain  lol

• Like 1